SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

What BSC presidents have come out publically against the nickname?? I know there are fans mad at UND joining because of the travel, Fullerton is not thrilled about the nickname but ISU has been silent, Montana and Montana State has said nothing why isn't these presidents saying anything. You would think that would be more ammo in retiring the name but so far no one except Fullerton has said a word.

I hope you're just asking a rhetorical question and don't think a 20 year old kid is plugged in on especially this issue.

What BSC presidents have come out publically against the nickname?? I know there are fans mad at UND joining because of the travel, Fullerton is not thrilled about the nickname but ISU has been silent, Montana and Montana State has said nothing why isn't these presidents saying anything. You would think that would be more ammo in retiring the name but so far no one except Fullerton has said a word.

No college president is going to come out publicly and say something. Fullerton is the mouthpiece for the conference. The presidents stay out of the actual battle. If they decide to do something they will go ahead and do it. But I would be shocked if any of them made a public comment either way unless they were forced, or until after something was done.
  • Upvote 2

You know Fullerton has not sounded excited one bit about adding UND (and the baggage) to the conference on the radio. If UND keeps the name, I think it has been pretty well accepted by everyone that UND probably will not be a member of the Big Sky conference for more than a season or two.

You know Fullerton has not sounded excited one bit about adding UND (and the baggage) to the conference on the radio. If UND keeps the name, I think it has been pretty well accepted by everyone that UND probably will not be a member of the Big Sky conference for more than a season or two.

It's been accepted on Bville. You might want to expand your circle of friends a little bit. It seems to be pretty up in the air to everyone else. It's definitely a possibility, but there is no certainty that it is going to happen. And that is part of the problem. If it were a certainty then that could help convince some people on the nickname issue. Right now it is just a possibility.

It's been accepted on Bville. You might want to expand your circle of friends a little bit. It seems to be pretty up in the air to everyone else. It's definitely a possibility, but there is no certainty that it is going to happen. And that is part of the problem. If it were a certainty then that could help convince some people on the nickname issue. Right now it is just a possibility.

Just one of many grey areas surrounding the nickname debacle which will only play out if the nickname does indeed stay. If it changes UND will be in the BSC, every team will schedule UND for all sports, and there will be no worries about recruiting, revenue, scheduling, or anything else on the athletic front. If it stays nobody knows how the dominos will fall, while some feel it is worth the risk to wait and see, most feel the downside could be disastrous and getting removed from the BSC would be as bad a start as anything.

• Upvote 1

Just one of many grey areas surrounding the nickname debacle which will only play out if the nickname does indeed stay. If it changes UND will be in the BSC, every team will schedule UND for all sports, and there will be no worries about recruiting, revenue, scheduling, or anything else on the athletic front. If it stays nobody knows how the dominos will fall, while some feel it is worth the risk to wait and see, most feel the downside could be disastrous and getting removed from the BSC would be as bad a start as anything.

I agree completely and am on the side of not wanting to risk the downside.

I agree completely and am on the side of not wanting to risk the downside.

Me neither, and hopefully that will be the consensus in June.

You made good points. Is the Sioux name worth risking? Do you want to play a game of roulette with the Big Sky...?

You made good points. Is the Sioux name worth risking? Do you want to play a game of roulette with the Big Sky...?

Since I have been actively talking about retiring the nickname for well over a year, and since I actively contacted legislators more than a year ago to try to prevent the moronic nickname law you can probably guess that I'm not in favor of putting things at risk with the Big Sky. That doesn't mean that UND getting thrown out of the Big Sky is a foregone conclusion. My guess is that it is less than 50% chance during the next 6 months. Since things are already set up for next year I think they will let the drama play out, especially with the other issues in places like Montana. If the constitutional amendment passes it probably goes over 50% because that will guarantee trouble with the NCAA for a more significant time. It would also still leave them time to reschedule sports for 2013-2014.

No college president is going to come out publicly and say something. Fullerton is the mouthpiece for the conference. The presidents stay out of the actual battle. If they decide to do something they will go ahead and do it. But I would be shocked if any of them made a public comment either way unless they were forced, or until after something was done.

I wish they would. Hates me to say this but maybe they should come out and say if the name stays I am voting to boot out UND. No team on sanctions belongs in the BSC. Then maybe the voters who are on the fence will vote to retire the name, and end this whole thing.

I have a hard time believing that the Big Sky presidents would vote out UND, knowing that UND is working toward and has been working toward retiring the name. If UND were thumbing their nose at the Big Sky saying "well, what are you going to do about it", then yes, I could see it. UND is somewhat of a victim in this, especially since the clock ran out on the settlement. They can't do anything with breaking the law, as stupid as the law is.

The retirement of the name will happen and the presidents know this. It is just a matter of time.

• Upvote 2

Big Sky commissioner on Idaho's situation: Top of FCS is healthier than bottom of FBS

Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton has not been shy about his league's interest in adding the University of Idaho.

Now — with the Vandals' current league crumbling — Fullerton just might get his chance at convincing Idaho that the Big Sky is the best place for its athletic department.

Fullerton and Rob Spear, Idaho's athletic director, have spoken and, Fullerton said, will talk again this week. Spear said last week that he is considering four options, including a return to the Football Championship Subdivision, but said the ideal situation was to remain at the Football Bowl Subdivision level.

Also of note.....

Fullerton said the league is well-positioned to be in the second-tier of college football if there is a break in the FBS with the top five conferences creating their own level of play. Spear made several references to this scenario during his call with media last week.

The Big Sky has 11 all-sport members and 13 football-playing members. The league is positioned as the No. 3 football-playing conference in the West, behind the Pac-12 and Mountain West, a position Fullerton said that will allow his league to garner better talent and more media attention. The league has a TV contract with Root.

A few observations and questions:

The Big Sky has definitely turned into a blessing for the UND athletic department. When the dust settles, the Summit will still be a transitional conference and UND would still be looking for a permanent home if the Big Sky had not stepped up and offered UND a conference home last year. With Oral Roberts gone and Oakland and/or IUPUI looking like they may be on the way out it is reassuring that the Big Sky is not losing members.

It is sad to see the demise of such a storied conference as the WAC. Looks like the Mountain West is going to keep Idaho and New Mexico State hanging until Boise and San Diego see the light that joining the Big East will not help their programs in the long run. When Boise & San Diego decide not to leave the MWC, Idaho and New Mexico State will really be stuck. Will they be willing to join the Big Sky? Will NMSU be interested or will the Sun Belt invite them? Idaho would make it a nice even number at 12/14 but NMSU would again tip the numbers into an uneven count. If that happens, will the Fighting Sioux nickname problem come back to haunt UND? The Big Sky could also add Denver and Seattle as Olympic sports members and make it 14 teams in all sports. Sixteen teams is a bit unwieldy, but if both Idaho and New Mexico State joined the Big Sky, would someone else step in as a travel partner for UND? Yeah, talking about NDSU; they seem happy with their Summit/MVFC arrangement, but the Summit is having issues and the Missouri Valley (non-football) Conference appears to be as stable as the Big Sky and does not seem predisposed to adding any of the Dakota schools at the present time. The South Dakota schools are definitely closer geographically, but NDSU's national recognition would probably be more highly desired as a full MVC member. I do not claim to have any knowledge of the inner workings of the inner circle of Missouri Valley Conference presidents circle, but in the face of what is happening, maybe NDSU would be interested in joining the Big Sky...

Which gets to these questions: With the present situation in the WAC, if Idaho ends up being the last remaining football member, could they add several FCS teams, such as UND, NDSU, Montana, MSU, Idaho State, etc and get a short term waiver of the FBS attendance rules and give the schools a few years to build up to FBS levels of scholarships, Title 9, etc? Would the NCAA continue to work with a 50 year old conference to give it a lifeline? I understand that the WAC is not on anyone's list of preferred conferences at the moment, but with the right vision and NCAA waivers, could it be saved as a football conference?

• Upvote 1

The Big Sky could still lose a couple members, but not anything that will threaten the conference's automatic births to NCAA post season tournaments.

I can see Sac St going to the Big West, in other words getting the same deal that UC Davis and Cal Poly got. Football in the Big Sky and all other sports in the California bus league (Big West).

I could also see Portland State eventually moving up to FBS and possibly joining the WAC basketball league, if it survives. Otherwise, a very outside shot at a Mountain West invite if Boise or San Diego St don't stay in the MW and they need to get to 12 for a conf championship game. Idaho won't be invited to the MW, regardless if Boise stays or leaves. NM St probably won't either, though supposidly NM lobbied for them to be included.

Otherwise, the other members of the Big Sky in the Mountain and Pacific time zones have no where else to go. There is no other west region FCS confernece.

The WAC could technically survive as a non-football conference with the following teams:

Idaho - Boise

New Mexico St - Denver

Utah Valley St - CSU Bakersfield

Seattle

Portland St would be a nice travel partner for Seattle.

• Upvote 1

On todays live chat with the Herald writers they talked about the rumors circulating about the possibility of Oakland and IUPUI leaving the Summit. If those rumors proved to happen along with ORU already leaving the Summit, they said that would basically be a real bad blow to their league. Do you think USD would regret turning down the offer to go to the Big Sky? I am thinking they would have some real 2nd thoughts but they would never admit it. If the Summit fell apart or basically became an NCC looking conference again would NDSU ever try to get in the Big Sky? Believe it or not I think NDSU would try to get in the Big Sky again. I don't think the new appearance of the Summit would satisfy most fans in Fargo.

On todays live chat with the Herald writers they talked about the rumors circulating about the possibility of Oakland and IUPUI leaving the Summit. If those rumors proved to happen along with ORU already leaving the Summit, they said that would basically be a real bad blow to their league. Do you think USD would regret turning down the offer to go to the Big Sky? I am thinking they would have some real 2nd thoughts but they would never admit it. If the Summit fell apart or basically became an NCC looking conference again would NDSU ever try to get in the Big Sky? Believe it or not I think NDSU would try to get in the Big Sky again. I don't think the new appearance of the Summit would satisfy most fans in Fargo.

As long as the Gateway Conference doesn't change i don't see the NDAC going anywhere...football still drives the bus down there and the Gateway conference is still a very good league when it comes to football and so far it is pretty stable in terms of members staying put.

Also on the live chat someone mentioned a "Skunkapekiller manifesto 2.0"....i looked in up on google and it is pretty interesting....

There are rumors floating around that Idaho is talking with the Big Sky about possible membership. Both with and without football are being discussed. However, considering the situation they are in, it would be stupid of them not to be covering every option possible to cover themselves. So I wouldn't necessarily read too much into it but this article seems to suggest otherwise.

Are the Idaho Vandals off to the Big Sky?

According to a source familiar with negotiations, the addition of Idaho (with or without football) is a matter of when ... not if.

While non-football membership in the BSC seems to be an option for Idaho, it apparently is not for Boise State. If you ask me this is a smart play by Fullerton. If Idaho joins the Big Sky for their non-football sports it essentially kills the WAC even as an olympic sports conference. With the Big East no longer having a BCS AQ and basically turning into C-USA, is Boise State rethinking their membership? Is BSU willing to sacrifice all of its other sports as independents just for FB to be in a diminished Big East? And with the Big XII still talking about moving back to 12, the Big East is likely to get raided even more.

By taking Idaho without football, the Big Sky could be helping to push Boise State (and ultimately San Diego State) back to the MWC. This would ultimately close off any hope of Idaho getting a MWC invite down the road and get them even closer to dropping football back down to FCS.

Also, adding Idaho would give the Big Sky 6 members who sponsor men's golf (Idaho, UND, Northern Colorado, Sac State, Southern Utah, Weber State) so it could be added as a conference sport.

If you include FB affiliates UC Davis and Cal Poly, the Big Sky could possibly begin sponsoring women's swimming & diving also. (Idaho, UND, Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, Cal Poly, UC Davis)

Even if Idaho and NMSU manage to get a Sun Belt football affiliation or take the independent route, NMSU is going to need a place for the rest of their sports. Would the Big Sky consider them as well? Or Seattle and Denver?

Fullerton definetly has the opportunity to increase the Big Sky in terms of quality members, visibility, sports offered and hopefully after all of this is done more TV exposure.

fullerton holds all the cards with idaho...tell them all or nothing.

new mexico state would be a nice get for the bsc....they def have more options (not that many tho) than idaho.

i like your idea of taking just the oly sports for idaho to suffocate the wac a little bit...evil?

USD will have no reservations about the Summit for so long as SDSU is a member of it. It is obvious who wears the pants in that family...................

• Upvote 2

Also, adding Idaho would give the Big Sky 6 members who sponsor men's golf (Idaho, UND, Northern Colorado, Sac State, Southern Utah, Weber State) so it could be added as a conference sport.

If you include FB affiliates UC Davis and Cal Poly, the Big Sky could possibly begin sponsoring women's swimming & diving also. (Idaho, UND, Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, Cal Poly, UC Davis)

Even if Idaho and NMSU manage to get a Sun Belt football affiliation or take the independent route, NMSU is going to need a place for the rest of their sports. Would the Big Sky consider them as well? Or Seattle and Denver?

Fullerton definetly has the opportunity to increase the Big Sky in terms of quality members, visibility, sports offered and hopefully after all of this is done more TV exposure.

Idaho to the Big Sky for non-football makes sense. They won't join for football.

The AD listed the top 4 priorities and moving football back to FCS was the bottom one. Big Sky would be smart to let them in as non-football members because it then at least keeps the door open for Idaho's return to FCS if they decide that FBS independent isn't working out.

• Upvote 1

Interesting read about the Summit and Oakland..

IUPUI and Robert Morris, in addition to Oakland, are potential candidates to take Butler’s spot during the 2013-14 season, when the two-time national runner-up starts playing in the Atlantic 10.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120509/SPORTS08/120509048/oakland-university-horizon-league-detroit-udm-summit?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE%7Cs

It looks like IPFW does not want to be left out on the Horizon discussion

IPFW sits squarely in the middle of the Horizon League and could conceivably team with Oakland and IUPUI into making the Horizon a 12-team league. Without trips to North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota and the newest member, Nebraska Omaha, the travel savings alone would make the jump from the Summit into the Horizon a sound one.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20120510/SPORTS0305/305109987/1085/SPORTS03

I have not seen much said about Denver or Seattle for membership into the Big Sky - they could give the basketball side of the Big Sky a major bump. Plus they fit the foot print and could be the site for a conference tournament. Not sure if the Big Sky is interested.. plus UND could build on the Denver rivalry.

It looks like IPFW does not want to be left out on the Horizon discussion

IPFW sits squarely in the middle of the Horizon League and could conceivably team with Oakland and IUPUI into making the Horizon a 12-team league. Without trips to North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota and the newest member, Nebraska Omaha, the travel savings alone would make the jump from the Summit into the Horizon a sound one.

http://www.journalga...7/1085/SPORTS03

Quality of membership alone would make the jump from the Summit into the Horizon a sound one.