SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

• 3 months later...

Include Rutgers with this, but I'm just not seeing how adding them creates enough revenue to split. Right now every team gets about $25 million. It's not like adding the two teams allows for a championship game and the money that brings. Will the TV revenue be enough?

BTW buyout for Maryland is $50 million! Rutgers is $10 million with 27 month notice.

And both schools are a part of AAU.

Include Rutgers with this, but I'm just not seeing how adding them creates enough revenue to split. Right now every team gets about $25 million. It's not like adding the two teams allows for a championship game and the money that brings. Will the TV revenue be enough?

The Big Ten is looking to add TVs to their Big Ten Network. That's where the money is.

Adding Maryland gets them into the Baltimore / Washington DC cable television market. That's big.

Rutgers would get them into Newark / NYC. Buh-zhing!

Side note: Adding Maryland? Uh, nice move there Don Lucia and Mike Eaves. More BB teams? We'll see BTHC on the BTN ... when? :D

The Big Ten is looking to add TVs to their Big Ten Network. That's where the money is.

Adding Maryland gets them into the Baltimore / Washington DC cable television market. That's big.

Side note: Adding Maryland? Uh, nice move there Don Lucia and Mike Eaves. More BB teams? We'll see BTHC on the BTN ... when? :D

I hope the BTHC goes under and then see Minny and UW crawl to the NCHC in hopes of membership. It would serve them right.

I get that it's a lot of tv's, but will it be enough to up the payout to all? I'm going to say you need to make around 100 million extra to make this worthwhile. That accounts for the newcomers each getting 25 million that rest currently get. Then add on another 3-5 million each for the rest to make them not mind expanding again.

Now when there tv deals with ABC/ESPN are up in 2017...then they will get PAID for that NYC market. The B1G is still one of the highest tv ratings fb draws.

Well to answer my question here's some number estimates:

- could be worth up to 200 million for northeast corridor.

- 15 million households and IF get on basic cable it's $1.25 a house a month.

I guess ACC share is looking to be about 17 million. B1G share could go up to 30-35 million if can add 100 million.

And Maryland is voting on Monday.

Maryland Regents voted to move to B1G...this is going to happen. The real question now is what is the fallout from this going to look like? More simply put, who moves next?

The next logical move would be Rutgers would also move to the B1G Ten tomorrow.

Watch a potential bolt of UCONN to the ACC in the near future, as by the day the Big East looks less attractive and the ACC will want a 14th full member. Big East might raid a lower conference/independent to replug the losses. (maybe towards BYU).

Like what everyone else says, this is purely a TV Market/$$$$ move, because other than Maryland Basketball these two teams don't really bring much to the table Athletic wise.

I would also not be shocked if some one made another run at the TX/OK schools again, and would also not be shocked if one of the big conferences expanded to that magical 16 team number.

There are actually rumors that B1G are also going after UNC and Georgia Tech. If that's true, You may as well say good bye to the ACC. FSU and Clemson are trying to get into the SEC. It's looking more and more like the four 16 team conferences will become a reality with the four super conferences being B1G, SEC, PAC 16, and Big 12 (6). It will be interesting to see what Texas and Oklahoma do. If they stay in the Big 12, then that conference would survive. If they go to the Pac 12, then perhaps the ACC or Big East combine and survive.

The interesting thing is does this collapse the Big East and allow another western FBS football league to emerge (either the WAC or a new conference entirely).

It sounds as if the ACC may be going after the Big East members such as UConn and even possibly Georgetown. There's also rumors that SDSU may back out of the Big East which means Boise State would also. What a cluster#$&^.

It sounds as if the ACC may be going after the Big East members such as UConn and even possibly Georgetown. There's also rumors that SDSU may back out of the Big East which means Boise State would also. What a cluster#$&^.

According to ESPN, the schools that left MWC for greener pastures are trying to come back. SDSU, Boise St. and even BYU (can't believe they think they are on par with Notre Dame). If they go back do they get their exit fee money back? And how lucky for schools added to MWC to replace them.

According to ESPN, the schools that left MWC for greener pastures are trying to come back. SDSU, Boise St. and even BYU (can't believe they think they are on par with Notre Dame). If they go back do they get their exit fee money back? And how lucky for schools added to MWC to replace them.

I was thinking the same thing but we will have to wait and see how this plays out: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/nov/19/sdsu-says-its-moving-foward-big-east/

Now SDSU athletic director is holding a press conference later today...maybe the article I posted yesterday about them staying with the Big East is not accurate. What a mess, get your popcorn ready because this show is just beginning!

Seems pretty status quo for this whole conference reshuffling mess. Deny, Deny, Deny, and then the announcement to move to a new conference, or in this case, back to it's old conference, is made. :glare:

Syracuse men's basketball coach Jim Boeheim sounds off on the conference changes. It's classic Boeheim at his very best:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2012/11/22/jim-boeheim-ncaa-conference-realignment/1721455/

My favorite quote: "Like I said, if these guys (the conference commissioners) were running the United States in colonial times, Brazil and Argentina would be states because they have something we need. It's a great country." :lol: