SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Well I agree a Summit only offer isn't good enough but an MVFC offer is what would make things interesting. There are Summit schools that want to be elsewhere but most have nowhere to go which is a similar situation to the Big Sky.

Top half of big sky and summit need to split and start their own league...

Und ndsu montana montana Denver Idaho sdsu webber and any other top half team with good academics that I left out

They are both one bid leagues no matter how you slice it. Last year, the Summit as a conference had a higher RPI than the Big Sky yet Montana got a higher seed than South Dakota State. You are talking about the difference between a 13 and 14 seed or worse pretty much every year.

Was not at all advocating to join the Summit. Much prefer the Big Sky to even a Summit League/MVFC combo. Just think the Big Sky gives us more western exposure, has better TV deals, wouldn't feel like the old NCC, differentiates UND from our former NCC schools, and better connects with UND fans in the west. Really like the potential of rivalries with the Montana schools - it will just take time to build that up. As someone else said, we need to make our own path. I know NDSU and SDSU fans seem to ridicule that, but they used to be all in favor of the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

Top half of big sky and summit need to split and start their own league...

Und ndsu montana montana Denver Idaho sdsu webber and any other top half team with good academics that I left out

This is exactly the line of thinking I have. Do to FCS/Midmajor sports what the NCHC did to college hockey. If the better athletic and academic schools band together, their side of the fence will have the greener grass, and wouldn't have to worry about everybody scrambling to leave. And much like the hockey situation, you could lose lousy conference leadership. (Douple)

I think the only North Dakota fans that really still pine for the Summit are those that still long for the Sioux-Bison rivalry. The only tangible advantage to a Summit/MVFC combo from a fan's perspective would be the ability for those living in the Dakotas and Minnesota would be more easily accessible road games. Personally, I think that's a relatively minor thing given the what the rest of the Big Sky has to offer.

That's the reason I wouldn't mind to see UND move into the Summit League/MVFC (MVFC is a must) is easier road games for those living here in the Valley. Since I live in Fargo I could hit UND vs NDSU, SDSU, and USD very easily than I can with Missoula, Bozeman, Greeley etc. Plus I miss the UND-NDSU rivalry, especially the football one. If they were in the same conference there would be more meaning to it but since it would be a OOC game its just not the same. But being at the UND-Montana game last month was a blast. So there are pros and cons on both sides of this issue.

my 2 cents as an outsider....

1. Big Sky has a far superior TV deal to the Summit - Advantage Big Sky

2. Footprint - This really should be in favor of Summit but might vary depending on your ponit of view (i.e. timezones, "cooler" locations, "not-ncc teams"). The summit footprint (even with Denver and Oakland) is in reality much smaller than the Big Sky with far more schools to bus to.

3. Non-Football Sports - The Summit league has consistently ranked higher in conference RPI in mens basketball (and has gone back and forth in the other sports)

4. Football - I'm not going to get into a pissing match over which is the better/harder conference. For arguments sake lets call the conferences even.

Personally, I don't really care if UND stays in the Big Sky or not. I think that the addition of Denver does add to the conference (especially if Oakland is not able to jump to the Horizon League). With the improving men's basketball programs at NDSU/SDSU, I can see the "prestige" of the Summit improving over the next 5 years. I think that the overarching goal is to consistently reach the top 15 status in conference RPI.

Neither will ever be a multiple bid league, so I'd call this one a push.

That's the reason I wouldn't mind to see UND move into the Summit League/MVFC (MVFC is a must) is easier road games for those living here in the Valley. Since I live in Fargo I could hit UND vs NDSU, SDSU, and USD very easily than I can with Missoula, Bozeman, Greeley etc. Plus I miss the UND-NDSU rivalry, especially the football one. If they were in the same conference there would be more meaning to it but since it would be a OOC game its just not the same. But being at the UND-Montana game last month was a blast. So there are pros and cons on both sides of this issue.

Tell that to Iowa / Iowa State and Florida / Florida State

Louisville jumps to the ACC. What's next for the Big East football? Will Boise & San Diego go back to the Mountain West, or will New Mexico State (and maybe Idaho) get its oppotrunity to go to the MWC?

ESPN: ACC votes to add Louisville Cardinals

Louisville will officially join the Atlantic Coast Conference, becoming the sixth former Big East school to leave for the ACC.

The ACC's presidents and chancellors voted to add the Cardinals on Wednesday morning to replace Maryland, which will leave for the Big Ten in 2014.

Louisville jumps to the ACC. What's next for the Big East football? Will Boise & San Diego go back to the Mountain West, or will New Mexico State (and maybe Idaho) get its oppotrunity to go to the MWC?

ESPN: ACC votes to add Louisville Cardinals

How long until UNC and either Virgina or Georgia Tech go to the B1G?

Edit: Also some rumors that the B1G may go after UNC and Kansas...

They are both one bid leagues no matter how you slice it. Last year, the Summit as a conference had a higher RPI than the Big Sky yet Montana got a higher seed than South Dakota State. You are talking about the difference between a 13 and 14 seed or worse pretty much every year.

Generally agree that both the Big Sky and the Summit are at the moment one-bid leagues. In any given year the Big Sky could have a higher conference rating than the Summit and vice-versa. At the moment Big Sky seems to have quite an advantage regarding TV contracts as such, thus arguably better overall exposure. In a logical world UND and NDSU should be in the same conference. Yet, one could also argue the benefits of the two schools being in different conferences. For example, I think Texas A&M is going to benefit by being in a different conference than its archrival Texas. Likewise, Florida and Florida State as well as South Carolina and Clemson. I think we're simply going to have to wait a bit to see how everything shakes out. Let's not push the panic button. For the most part as I understand it, UND is at the moment generally happy where it is. And I think NDSU for its part is happy to be where it is. Too bad we don't have a "magic mirror" on the wall to really see who is the fairest in the land.

• Upvote 2

I think there is absolutely no chance this would ever happen. Being the only Dakota school as a member of the Big Sky is going to give us a distinct recruiting edge over the other 3 schools in the west and can really seperate us.The bigger reason for me though is that I don't want us to be "clumped in" with the other Dakota schools, I like that we are going our own way and forming our own path. Just my opinion though

Also then they would have to change the name of The Dakota Three or whatever the imaginary footbal Triangle of Terror is.(of which UND owns a winning football record over all three)
  • Upvote 1

South Dakota State beat UND in 2010, which is the last time UND played them.

Hey it's the trolls job to monitor our postings and correct them. :D SDSU may have won the last meeting but we had that great last second win in Brookings (I believe the year before) that even shut their band up

New Mexico State, Idaho, and/or Georgia Southern to the Sun Belt?

http://www.cbssports...ay-for-sun-belt

Interesting speculation about the Big 10 possibly going after Boston College in the event they expand to 16 teams. I wonder if Notre Dame would reconsider their affiliation with Hockey East in the event that BC ends up playing their hockey in the BTHC? for that matter, I wonder if BU would be willing to leave a BC-less Big East for a super conference?

Interesting speculation about the Big 10 possibly going after Boston College in the event they expand to 16 teams. I wonder if Notre Dame would reconsider their affiliation with Hockey East in the event that BC ends up playing their hockey in the BTHC? for that matter, I wonder if BU would be willing to leave a BC-less Big East for a super conference?

So you are speculating a future NCHC with Denver, CC, Omaha, UND, St. Cloud, Duluth, W. Michigan, Miami OH, Notre Dame, and BU??? Wow!! Now that is a true "Super Conference" That would be sweet!!

don't thing big 10 would take bc....they normally/always take aau schools and the only ones left that make sense to them are kansas, unc, virginia, and ga tech....