SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Actually, not very surprising when you really think about it. The conferences would love to exclude everyone else. It will also give the B1G or the ACC (or the Big 12 if they are one of the survivors) leverage to force Notre Dame to join a conference.

If this happened, the Big Sky, MVFC and CAA could end up on the same level as the Mountain West and the Big East.

In case you haven't followed the updates recently - it's the Big XII that's going to be the survivor, not the ACC. This might be surprising unless you consider that the king of college athletics spending, Texas, is still in the Big XII. And Oklahoma ain't bad either, although it comes from a much less influential state.

The Big XII and the SEC have made an announcement that they're teaming up to form a compliment bowl to the Rose bowl, which is between the B1G and the Pac 12 and also to be played on Jan 1.

In my thinking (and some others as well), it sets up the following scenario nicely: BCS champion determined by a four team playoff, semifinal game 1: B1G champion vs. Pac 12 champion in the Rose Bowl, semifinal game 2: Big XII champion vs. SEC champion in the new Bowl, championship game between the bowl winners at a neutral site that is bid out each year.

That sets the elite, tier 1 of college football as those four conferences.

In fact the gears are already set in motion such that the best college football programs in the ACC are now desperately trying to secure their places in the Big XII. This includes Florida State, Clemson and Miami. Other rumors have SEC courting Virginia Tech. Auburn and Georgia Tech would also make a nice rivalry, but not sure if Georgia would sign off on that.

You could also possibly see the Big XII and B1G both making plays for Notre Dame and maybe a couple other ACC schools would be trying to get in the B1G. Maryland is contiguous with Pennsylvania, including both the U of Maryland as well as the Naval Academy. And there's always Pitt. Rutgers, Syracuse or Louisville could be longshots as well to fit in there somewhere.

What I find funny is the Big Least, which has been a doormat in big-time football, can now become a powerhouse in the "Tier 2" level with all the majors powers jockeying to get into the new Snob Championship Tourney...doghouse one day, penthouse the next.

Sometimes you fall in crap and come out smelling like a rose.

Except for the fact that they're in the Tier 1 now, if only technically, because of the automatic slot in a BCS bowl for the Big East champion at the end of the 2012 and 2013 seasons.

2014 and beyond though, yes the Big East football conference will definitely be in tier 2 with CUSA, MAC, ACC, Sun Belt, Mountain West and the WAC if it survives.

I do believe FCS conferences will remain in tier 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this on the WAC board....Grand Canyon University wins Learfield Sports Directors' Cup

This should aid in Grand Canyon's ultimate goal to become Division I athletics program.

The school has to be invited by a current Division I conference to become a member.

Recently, the school employed an outside agency to put together a comprehensive study on how it would match up as a Division I school in terms of staffing and scholarships.

Mueller has written an introductory letter to Western Athletic Conference presidents, Baker said.

"They are intrigued at what the university is doing developmentally," Baker said.

https://twitter.com/...133680063135744

1st step: Grand Canyon University recently made formal application with the Western Athletic Conference to get D.I status.

Just read this a week or so ago. I wouldn't imply that the Presidents of the institutions that comprise The Horizon as taking this view point. But it is being talked about, by a variety of journalists and bloggers. http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/springfield-oh-sports/wright-state-university-raiders/commentary-horizon-league-cant-win-with-ncaa-1384500.html

If it was 3, as this writer would like...would the likely candidates be Oakland, IUPUI, & IPFW? Granted that may be a long shot for it to happen, but if it does, what happens to The Summit?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere - here is an interview with Fullerton from today.

http://www.theupsetb...idaho.html#more

I really want the "Idaho to the Big Sky" thing to happen.

IMO, with Idaho and North Dakota being the "book-ends" to the Montana schools, it would do wonders to stabilize the most attractive Big Sky schools for many years to come................................

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Boise State notified the MWC that they were leaving yesterday just hours before the deadline to do so. While they could still back out of going to the Big East, it is very unlikely they would have withdrawn from the MWC if they were still considering staying. Now they just need to find a home for the rest of their olympic sports. It'll be interesting to see if the WAC invites UVU, CSU Bakersfield, UTPA, Grand Canyon or even Chicago State to stay alive or if Boise State manages to come up with a big enough travel stipend to convince the Big West to give them membership.

Boise State beats deadline, will leave Mountain West

This gives Idaho and NM State a sliver of hope that the MWC may give them invites down the road to get to 12 members. In the meantime, do UI and NMSU bring in a bunch of the previously mentioned schools they have nothing in common with to keep the WAC alive for now or do they look to the Big Sky as home to their oly sports while they wait for the MWC? Does the Big Sky want to invite Idaho for non-football sports knowing that in just a few years they could possibly leave again for the MWC?

i just don't see idaho ever getting an invite to the mwc...plus i don't see nm letting nmsu ever into the mwc either...which leaves the big sky or independent? so to get to 14/16 i would great to see the big sky add idaho, nmsu, and yes ndac.

but i don't like affiliate stuff so if the big sky added those three schools i would be all for asking/telling poly and davis that its all or nothing and split into two eight team divsions for all sports...

north

montana

montanta state

und

ndsu

idaho

isu

weber state

eastern washington

south

portland

sacramento

davis

poly

nau

suu

unc

nmsu

i think the big sky would be a stronger conference than either the mac or the sun belt

almost everyone would have a true travel partner

um/msu

und/ndsu

idaho/eastern washington

portland/sacramento

idaho state/weber state

suu/nau

davis/poly

unc/nmsu (really the only bad one)

It is only 20 miles from Sac State to UC Davis. Better partners.

• 2 weeks later...

A conference with 11 full (plus 2 affiliate members) ...

Where there's smoke there's fire, and this 'Idaho' smoke just won't clear:

Fritz Neighbor@Fritz_Neighbor

Big Sky commish Fullerton on Idaho Vandals: We’re in negotiations with them, there’s no doubt about it. #BigSkyFB #Griz

This person:

"I'm a Montana native who has covered Griz football and other sports for the Missoulian since 2004."

https://twitter.com/fritz_neighbor

http://grizblitz.com/

It sure sounds like Idaho is seriously considering the Big Sky. That would be a nice addition to the Big Sky. I have a feeling that the fact that UND is the only Dakota school in the Big Sky is going to be a real positive. It will make us unique for the immediate area. The whole Big Sky situation is really sounding exciting.l I am really pumped that our conference for the future is the Big Sky.

Bigger Big Sky looks to add one more

The Big Sky is already a major player in FCS football, but with these new additions and the possibility of another — and perhaps two divisions? — it makes the conference even more powerful and attractive to fans.

“We’ve been in conversations with Idaho and New Mexico and the (Western Athletic Conference) in general,” Fullerton said. “We’re sitting in a place where we can dictate what we want to do.”

Idaho, a former Big Sky member, seems to be the most obvious choice.

The Vandals spent 33 years in the Big Sky before leaving along with Boise State back in 1996.

The other factor in this whole WAC meltdown: What happens to Seatte U (no FB), Denver (no FB), and NMSU (FBS)?

We've all be thinking "Idaho" but the others are just as screwed.

I saw (somewhere else) the notion of the Poly, Davis, Sac State, Portland State, NAU, and (probably) SUU forming on their own. It would get them six for FB. Convincing EWU to come with would be football gravy*. (Convincing U of San Diego to go from no scholarship to scholarship FB and join, instead of EWU, would be better.) If they grabbed up Seattle and Denver as non-FB schools they'd be sitting pretty well for an all-sports conference.

Alternatively, that'd leave Montana, Montana State, Idaho State, Weber State, No Colo, and UND, and probably EWU. Then Idaho and NMSU would have to make some tough decisions.

*I have my doubts if they'd get EWU. They like playing Montana.

The other factor in this whole WAC meltdown: What happens to Seatte U (no FB), Denver (no FB), and NMSU (FBS)?

We've all be thinking "Idaho" but the others are just as screwed.

I saw (somewhere else) the notion of the Poly, Davis, Sac State, Portland State, NAU, and (probably) SUU forming on their own. It would get them six for FB. Convincing EWU to come with would be football gravy*. (Convincing U of San Diego to go from no scholarship to scholarship FB and join, instead of EWU, would be better.) If they grabbed up Seattle and Denver as non-FB schools they'd be sitting pretty well for an all-sports conference.

Alternatively, that'd leave Montana, Montana State, Idaho State, Weber State, No Colo, and UND, and probably EWU. Then Idaho and NMSU would have to make some tough decisions.

*I have my doubts if they'd get EWU. They like playing Montana.

If that would come to fruition, I would think NMSU would be good with the southern / Cali folks, and Idaho would fit nicely with the northern folks. I would, however, think that Denver and Seattle may fit in better with the northern schools (Seattle could go either way). Then the southern folks have 8 football schools (but maybe throw in Utah Valley for 9 all sports) and then 8 football schools in the north (throw in Denver and Seattle in all sports and you have 10 total). While I would have serious doubts this will ever happen, I've seen worse.