SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

4 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The only bowl games I watch are the CFP games. And the games UND or NDSU would qualify for are played in mid-December on a weeknight in front of half-filled stadiums.

Pretty funny that boise played in an empty Frisco Bowl last year.  G5 post season is pointless.

• Like 1

Pac-12 currently at 9 schools. What's the general consensus out there? If UConn gets the 14th Big-12 spot than the Pac-12 could be ok? Hypothetical change SDSU for Colorado wouldn't be bad. If Arizona gets that 14th spot, how in trouble in the Pac-12? Would Boise State be the next up? That would seem disastrous for the Pac-12. Essentially adding another Wazzu or Oregon State.  

On 7/26/2023 at 8:07 PM, The Sicatoka said:

I’m staying with my 4-4-2 final outcome prediction. 

@AJS ... This. I'm holding to it. 

4 to BXII (CU, UA, ASU, UU)
4 swallow pride, take a smaller share, and go B1G (UW/UO/Cali-Stan)
2 end up with MWC under some name

40 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Nationally televised on ESPN. You don’t see many FBS teams dropping down to FCS to compete for a national championship. 

Of course not.  That doesn't mean the bowl system is a good format.  Could care less about TV.  Besides, FCS teams are on ESPN once or twice in addition to ABC, so not sure I get your point about ESPN.

image.thumb.png.e3c234a217f3c8cdfc3435d5b9b228b4.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Having two of your nine schools being Wash / Oregon State is an issue. How you laid it out makes the most sense to me. It's a brutal business. If you're making decisions on what's best for you (i.e. your conference / schools), is to essentially eliminate one of the P5 conferences.  

47 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Seems to be the conventional wisdom. As I have recently, let’s take NDSU out the conversation. One thing that is rarely brought up is the Summit League BBall tournament. If an all sport MW invite came, not only the simple question of how would SDSU afford it, but why would they give up what they have for M/W BBall? 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I don't see the BIG doing partial shares.  I can see them doing reduced payouts as a buy-in to becoming a full equal partner.  I believe that is how Maryland/Rutgers was done, plus the BIG floated Maryland's exit fee, so there was a lot going on with the finances.  

If conference members aren't equals that creates problems, look at the Big 12 and Texas/OU.  How many years before Washington and a few other schools look around the room and wonder why they aren't getting the same share that Purdue gets?

1 minute ago, Yote 53 said:

I don't see the BIG doing partial shares.  I can see them doing reduced payouts as a buy-in to becoming a full equal partner.  I believe that is how Maryland/Rutgers was done, plus the BIG floated Maryland's exit fee, so there was a lot going on with the finances.  

If conference members aren't equals that creates problems, look at the Big 12 and Texas/OU.  How many years before Washington and a few other schools look around the room and wonder why they aren't getting the same share that Purdue gets?

I should be clearer: Smaller share for a period of time, not ad infinitum. 

23 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

USD / UND seem to be in similar spots when it comes to conference realignment and at least public perception. They aren't discussed at all. In relation to SDSU, what's Coyote Nations general feeling on this? Nervous? I'm interested in it.