SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

7 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That was about access to East Coast media markets. What does Colorado State have to offer?

They are a better academic institution than Boise St. They are one of the few schools that the Big 12 or PAC-12 would pick up if desperate.

Houston Christian (HCU)  Huskies  Houston, Texas  Ryan Pratt
 Incarnate Word (UIW)  Cardinals  San Antonio, Texas  Kiki Lara
 Liberty  Flames  Lynchburg, Va.  Kelly Findley

Any reason the league couldn't make a pitch to the OVC Soccer affiliates?

30 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

OVC just brought soccer in-house. That's how we got here. Pretty sure Fenton isn't going to convince TX and VA schools to fly over the OVC to the Summit. 

The schools I mentioned will all be affiliates to the OVC starting this year, though, and the Texas schools are hardly passing over the OVC to get to Tulsa and Kansas City.  The Summit schools are a lot easier to fly to commercially, as well.  Liberty has money and could be attracted to the bigger cities and better universities in the Summit League, especially if the Texas schools join.   The Summit League also has a million dollars from WIU to help sweeten the pot.  Would rather pay for Soccer affiliates than add a bottom feeder D1 program for all sports.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

OVC just brought soccer in-house. That's how we got here. Pretty sure Fenton isn't going to convince TX and VA schools to fly over the OVC to the Summit. 

ORU is evangelical ... so is Liberty.  (HCU is Baptist and UIW is Catholic.)  Yeah, I'm grasping at straws here.

6 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Or, and here me out:

Fenton goes to the Dakota 4 and says:  One of you start a M Soccer program.

Profit :)

u mean when i mentioned that und should drop mens tennis and add men's soccer....here comes the flak my man

On 5/29/2023 at 4:02 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

That was about access to East Coast media markets. What does Colorado State have to offer?

A team in Colorado that a reasonably large number of people care about. Anyone in the Dakotas looking down on them is very tone deaf.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

A team in Colorado that a reasonably large number of people care about. Anyone in the Dakotas looking down on them is very tone deaf.

CSU is a fine institution, but it's not the State University of New Jersey (aka Rutgers). 

Rutgers always wins because of media market (NYC eyeballs) and AAU status. Athletics? CSU. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

CSU is a fine institution, but it's not the State University of New Jersey (aka Rutgers). 

Rutgers always wins because of media market (NYC eyeballs) and AAU status. Athletics? CSU. 

Was the hypo between Rutgers and CSU? I wasn't reading super closely

4 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Was the hypo between Rutgers and CSU? I wasn't reading super closely

At mention of "east coast markets" people tend to howl about Rutgers in the B1G; it's one-dimensional thought. 

Conferences want multi-dimensional fits: academics, athletics, demographics. See: B1G and BTAA.org. 

The Colorado Board of Regents is meeting in executive session "June 6" (but their announcement can't decide if that's Tue or Wed :D ). 

Speculation is CU from PAC to BXII is topic. (Others say they have a personnel/accountant issue.)
I struggle with "to BXII" as their alumni and donor base is California, not WV/KS/OK.
Or is the PAC media deal that bad it's worth the risk. 
We'll see. 

If the BXII gets CU and 'zona, don't be surprised if they go after San Diego State. It's the remaining SoCal high value proposition and takes away all of SoCal (USC/UCLA/SDSU) from the PAC. That would be the middle of the end of the PAC (the beginning was USC/USCA to B1G). 

SDSU to BXII would open a Mountain West slot. As much as some want to believe otherwise, I'd expect the MW to backfill from Texas if they backfill; then again the MW may just end up with remnants from an imploded PAC, specifically WasSU and OrSU (lowest value in PAC) and be happy. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

If the BXII gets CU and 'zona, don't be surprised if they go after San Diego State. It's the remaining SoCal high value proposition and takes away all of SoCal (USC/UCLA/SDSU) from the PAC. That would be the middle of the end of the PAC (the beginning was USC/USCA to B1G). 

SDSU to BXII would open a Mountain West slot. As much as some want to believe otherwise, I'd expect the MW to backfill from Texas if they backfill; then again the MW may just end up with remnants from an imploded PAC, specifically WasSU and OrSU (lowest value in PAC) and be happy. 

Interesting thoughts, but I would think that targeting Utah (SLC) and ASU (PHX) would be more impactful.  College Athletics is about football and football is about rivalries.  And those two bring the rivalries back with 'zona and BYU.  Plus, it might help with state politics also.

10 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Interesting thoughts, but I would think that targeting Utah (SLC) and ASU (PHX) would be more impactful.  College Athletics is about football and football is about rivalries.  And those two bring the rivalries back with 'zona and BYU.  Plus, it might help with state politics also.

Bring back the Holy War.  

9 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I don't disagree. The 4 Corners (UU, UA, ASU, CU) have to look tempting to the BXII.

Some claim UU wants to keep aligning with Cali-Stan and UW/UO as long as possible. That's dangerous as they could be left behind. 

How badly does the BXII want to "dagger" the PAC? An SDSU move would be the dagger.

We're in "duck mode" - seems calm on surface, paddling like mad underneath.

13 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Interesting thoughts, but I would think that targeting Utah (SLC) and ASU (PHX) would be more impactful. 

SoCal offers access to students, alumni, and donors that few other places can rival. 

Lots and lots of moving parts.

What's causing all this? It looks like the PAC media deal will be smaller than the BXII. 

Mentioning "dagger", the MVC or the WAC could dagger the Summit right now by offering ORU.

Summit would be down to four men's soccer and five (including affil UNoColo) baseball. And no great backfill options. 

Crazy? The MVC used to be in Tulsa. And recent MVC moves have all worked against SL interests.*

*Adding Murray State to MVC and forcing them, by promises made, into MVFC knowing it would not impress Dak4; that left an OVC hole that WIU couldn't pass up which hurt the SL. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Mentioning "dagger", the MVC or the WAC could dagger the Summit right now by offering ORU.

Summit would be down to four men's soccer and five (including affil UNoColo) baseball. And no great backfill options. 

Crazy? The MVC used to be in Tulsa. And recent MVC moves have all worked against SL interests.*

*Adding Murray State to MVC and forcing them, by promises made, into MVFC knowing it would not impress Dak4; that left an OVC hole that WIU couldn't pass up which hurt the SL. 

Oh yeah, I get the Summit League.  I was never a fan of moving to the Summit League.  But, there is going to be a lot of movement in the West this time.  So, you are going to see opportunities popping up that were not possible before.  If the 4 Dakota schools are not locked together.  Then UND made a major strategic blunder.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FSSD said:

Oh yeah, I get the Summit League.  I was never a fan of moving to the Summit League.  But, there is going to be a lot of movement in the West this time.  So, you are going to see opportunities popping up that were not possible before.  If the 4 Dakota schools are not locked together.  Then UND made a major strategic blunder.

NDSU and SDSU could jump to the MWC and leave UND and USD to beg the Big Sky to let them back in…