SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

9 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

... I have diffuse believing a grant to SDSU is only valued at 60 percent of that of UND. I wonder if the same figure is being is being used. I checked on US News college rankings and the 29.6K figure quoted matches the all in total (tuition, room, board, etc ), but the 18.5K figure for SDSU matches the cost after federal aid, so don't think those was apples to apples.

The All in figure for SDSU is 28K which seems reasonable. So I would guess they would be OK on the 6 million and if they aren't and the other figure is what should be used then UND is only at 16.7K so they would be well short. I believe the former is likely the correct figure.

Like I said, small numbers; I really didn't like them. I do however believe Knight and $4.26M.

So let's dump my "fully funded" assumption that drives the low per grant number; let's use your $28k as the grant cost (reasonable, between NDSU and UND). That's 152.1 grants, of a possible 230.6. That is just 66% percent funded and the proposed standard is 90% across the board. 

That's at least 24% of grants to fund (55 grants) for $1.546M!  Or change the arithmetic by changing sports (and total grants), but still have some to fund. 

Either way you come at it ... 

SDSU summary: Find almost $2M(!) annual budget and reshuffle the sports lineup down. 

2 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

What does mean something is if any FBS conference wants you.  No one knows about you guys or wants you.  Get over it you're on the outside looking in for any conference invite. It's just a fact.  

Despite your claim as "fact", what you presented was your opinion and beliefs. 

History says the BSC wanted only one of the Dak4, and they had opportunity to take each of the four. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

What does mean something is if any FBS conference wants you.  No one knows about you guys or wants you.  Get over it you're on the outside looking in for any conference invite. It's just a fact.  

Despite your wishes, none of those are facts but here's one to try on for size: It is clear that no one is clamoring to add a school that has severe geography issues with troubling enrollment trends and needed a legislative bailout to hit their budget with no clear answer for future issues.

• Upvote 1

Lucky for UND fans that as much as NDSU fans wish Twitter / Fargo Media decided conference realignment, they don't.  I genuinely don't understand though how having the Dakota 4 stick together is a bad thing. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, AJS said:

Lucky for UND fans that as much as NDSU fans wish Twitter / Fargo Media decided conference realignment, they don't.  I genuinely don't understand though how having the Dakota 4 stick together is a bad thing. 

The Dak4 as a "pod" of a conference saves everyone money. 

3 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

9 championships and what? JMU and Sam Houston are gone. 

31 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The Dak4 as a "pod" of a conference saves everyone money. 

This is why the Dakota 4 and the Montanas must stay together. As the previous President of the U of Idaho said, there is a large gap in the FCS map.

The problem is travel and small population/viewer base.

F799360A-98EB-4010-A2C3-4DF2DF2E5EBE.thumb.webp.ce447e46882b23ceb86e5880fcafe1af.webp

It looks like the PAC 12 will soon be down to two, the 2 PAC. 
And this all started when the B1G peeled away USC/UCLA.

Dare we say ... in the end,

2PAC was done in by Notorious B1G ... 

DISCLAIMER: shamelessly stolen from elsewhere 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/2/2023 at 11:30 AM, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

"I can't predict what's going to happen in the future, especially in the sport of football," Chaves said. "Those are things we have to make sure we're cognizant of what's ahead of us. Literally not a day goes by where I'm not monitoring the landscape to do what's in the best interest of the University of North Dakota."

Chaves better be living up to that statement and paying close attention for the next 100 or so hours.

May you live in interesting times

A sneaky scenario for me is Stanford (and possibly Cal) going independent for football and joining WCC for basketball.   If they don’t get that Big10 invite, I’m not sure they want to align with the remaining PAC or MWC schools.  

6 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Grand Forks, Fargo, Brookings, Vermillion are pretty far from Missoula and Bozeman. Dakota 4 look East or West for realignment?

Best bet might be to look south.  Leverage ORU's recent success in baseball and men's hoops.

On 8/3/2023 at 6:23 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Like I said, small numbers; I really didn't like them. I do however believe Knight and $4.26M.

So let's dump my "fully funded" assumption that drives the low per grant number; let's use your $28k as the grant cost (reasonable, between NDSU and UND). That's 152.1 grants, of a possible 230.6. That is just 66% percent funded and the proposed standard is 90% across the board. 

That's at least 24% of grants to fund (55 grants) for $1.546M!  Or change the arithmetic by changing sports (and total grants), but still have some to fund. 

Either way you come at it ... 

SDSU summary: Find almost $2M(!) annual budget and reshuffle the sports lineup down. 

After finding the Knight data, agree with you, have difficulty believing that SDSU is fully funding grants for COA.  It was accepting that assumption along with the cost that caused me to pause.  I would guess all four Dakotas are relatively close in the all-in attendance cost, so if they were all fully funded, then approx 200 athlete-students would put them in the ballpark of the $6 million.  Unfortunately, the accounting is college athletics is too opaque across the board to draw truly meaningful conclusions unless you are a forensic accountant.

• Upvote 1