SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

My speculation is some horse-trading happened: The MAC got the "15k rule" eliminated but in return there'll much tougher enforcement of new higher grants standards. And being dollars grants are much more easily audited than "attendance". 

• Upvote 2

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

My speculation is some horse-trading happened: The MAC got the "15k rule" eliminated but in return there'll much tougher enforcement of new higher grants standards. And being dollars grants are much more easily audited than "attendance". 

even tho this is i guess speculation on this posters part but yeah why wouldn't they go more northy like you said....why quadruple up in texas...assuming travel and whatnot but bringing idaho, montanas, weber..sac. portland and heck the nodaks and sodaks would bring in more fans and better quality schools..........

but location.

Griz AD Jim O'Day is always a good listen; frank, rational.
Enjoy at the 34 minute plus mark too ... 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nuanez-now-july-13-2023-hour-2-jim-oday/id1121407684?i=1000621095967 

O'Day sees my 4-4-2 break-up of the PAC and the MWC looking at Texas for fill should they need it. 

On 7/14/2023 at 8:20 AM, The Sicatoka said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nuanez-now-july-13-2023-hour-2-jim-oday/id1121407684?i=1000621095967 

O'Day sees my 4-4-2 break-up of the PAC and the MWC looking at Texas for fill should they need it. 

I think the big question is what do the remaining 2 do?  The best asset that they have is that they are the P-12 and have all the assets and payments for various conference payouts in the near future.  Of course, the TV deal will drop.  But, they still have access to Football Playoffs.  Based on this, I think the Pac10 goes full Big XII and guts the MWC and AAC and goes across all four time zones.  They simply add the best 10 or 12 schools in G5.

24 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I think the big question is what do the remaining 2 do?  The best asset that they have is that they are the P-12 and have all the assets and payments for various conference payouts in the near future.  Of course, the TV deal will drop.  But, they still have access to Football Playoffs.  Based on this, I think the Pac10 goes full Big XII and guts the MWC and AAC and goes across all four time zones.  They simply add the best 10 or 12 schools in G5.

quickly for the guys in the back....4-4-2 breakup?

let's say after getting raided and Wyoming, Nevada, and USU are left behind...no one worth a crap will beating down their doors for membership so who do they look to?

montanas, daks, idaho weber...

or do they have enough pull to get some AAC schools...but not a lot of schools are begging to go to laramie and reno in february.

5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

let's say after getting raided and Wyoming, Nevada, and USU are left behind...no one worth a crap will beating down their doors for membership so who do they look to?

montanas, daks, idaho weber...

or do they have enough pull to get some AAC schools...but not a lot of schools are begging to go to laramie and reno in february.

Well, that just it..  G5 could be looking for 10/12 schools in short order.  According to the linked interview - MWC would be looking at NAU and Sac St along with other Texas schools.  The American would be looking for schools also.

It could get interesting in a hurry come next summer around mid June and July. 

6 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

4 pac 12 to big 12....4 pac 12 to big 10....2 left behind? (wsu and osu?)

Yes, talking heads speculating Ariz/ASU/UU/CU to Big XII which I can see.  And UW/Ducks/Cal/Stanford to the Big 10.  In my opinion, does Cal/Stanford really care that much about sports and go with an Ivy League type of move.   And then there two - WSU/OSU - what happens next?

On 7/14/2023 at 8:20 AM, The Sicatoka said:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeely-ndsu-sdsu-presidents-deny-report-they-are-seeking-spots-in-mountain-west

NDSU and SDSU presidents both deny what O'Day said.
Interesting that they would come out and flat deny they have had any conversations.

can someone explain how SDSU is even remotely a possibiblity of moving up........ag school in a tiny town in nowhereville...at least ndac has some population with fargo

but if presidents make the decision call to GF and Vermillion make more sense bc it doesn't matter if it's vermillion or brookings or GF or Fargo......whoever moves up first in those states ............will OWN THEIR STATE.

1978 is on line one for whoever gets left behind....again. 

I'm also more interested in the 2nd Dakota team that will / wants to move up. What does SDSU have? (1) Proved in on the Field / Court. (2) Moved up / connected at the hip with NDSU. I know @The Sicatoka has done a great job of showing different financials. SDSU seems to be a distant 3rd in readiness when it comes to that. 

One thing we can all agree on is UND cannot be left behind this time. I'm looking at the campus / facility updates that are being / have been made. From a "hope" standpoint, the 701 Award. That's a big deal. That gave me a big boost of confidence that UND is doing things in the background to position itself. Now, it's time for the Football / Basketball teams to take that next step. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

can someone explain how SDSU is even remotely a possibiblity of moving up........ag school in a tiny town in nowhereville...at least ndac has some population with fargo

but if presidents make the decision call to GF and Vermillion make more sense bc it doesn't matter if it's vermillion or brookings or GF or Fargo......whoever moves up first in those states ............will OWN THEIR STATE.

1978 is on line one for whoever gets left behind....again. 

What if NDSU and SDSU went to one FBS conference and UND and USD went to another FBS conference? Iowa / Iowa state situation.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, AJS said:

That gave me a big boost of confidence that UND is doing things in the background to position itself. 

Agree. 

And I've been made aware that Chaves and former UM AD O'Day talk.
That interview of O'Day, the content, didn't surprise Chaves. 

7 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

What if NDSU and SDSU went to one FBS conference and UND and USD went to another FBS conference? Iowa / Iowa state situation.  

I think the Dakota4 as a "north division" of something makes better fiscal sense for all (the Dak4 and the host conference). 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I think the Dakota4 as a "north division" of something makes better fiscal sense for all (the Dak4 and the host conference). 

but that's 4 trips to the end of the world for whatever conference they would join...that's 2 too many for some and 4 too many for a lot.

43 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

but that's 4 trips to the end of the world for whatever conference they would join...that's 2 too many for some and 4 too many for a lot.

As a "north division" you'd try to set it up that you play everyone in your division but only part of the other divisions to limit travel. 

See: NCHC pods plan. 

It's why conferences try to go to 12 for 6&6. In FB that's five division games and half the other for 8 conf FB games. The next year you play the other half of the other. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Agree. 

And I've been made aware that Chaves and former UM AD O'Day talk.
That interview of O'Day, the content, didn't surprise Chaves. 

Where can you listen to this