SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

The SDSU move makes no sense.

If gives all the power to 
- MWC who can tell them no extension, shove off, and pay up
- PAC and BXII who can low-ball offers now that SDSU has no home

Why would SDSU jam themselves up like that? 

On 6/16/2023 at 2:55 PM, The Sicatoka said:

The SDSU move makes no sense.

If gives all the power to 
- MWC who can tell them no extension, shove off, and pay up

Why would SDSU jam themselves up like that? 

So they could save $17 million???  It actually makes no sense because that letter is going to end up costing them more than $17 million either in increased costs and lost revenue if they end up without a conference or low-ball offers from the PAC and B12.  They tried to get cheap trying to avoid the extra exit fee thinking they should have a place at the big boy table and the MWC told them to get fricked.  I love it.  

On 6/16/2023 at 2:55 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Agree in principal, but if one of those two want SDSU (and it seems like both do), it would be a pretty poor idea to start the relationship off on a bad note. Just because you might have leverage doesn't mean it is always in your best interest to use it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

ASU to the NCHC.

Yeah, it's being talked about in "Hockey" but the historical record goes here too. :)  

ASU was recently added to the AAU. That's a big deal to the B1G. I was wondering if that might trigger the B1G to poach some more out of the PAC, namely ASU. But if ASU is going to the NCHC I'd now guess they either go to the BXII or the PAC survives the losses of USC and UCLA.

19 hours ago, Kab said:

Fbs, don’t know where , just a wag 

C-USA is the only thing men) that's been mentioned that is even remotely realistic. And it would be a train wreck worth watching.

AAC isn't even remotely an option. MWC would have to be a shell of itself and due to lack of what the bring to the table that is actually important (money and recruiting area) they still wouldn't be anywhere hear the top of the list. 

They should probably worry about getting their internal house in order first. 

30 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Is it possible to speculate and theorize that perhaps... they missed their window?  That they should have struck when the iron was hot when they were the darings of the FCS world back in the mid to late 2010s?

even back then....fargo was still fargo....their location hasn't changed.

11 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

I vote UND takes advantage of the situation and go FBS without fargo. 

Where?

I really think the Dakotas, Montanas and Idaho missed the bus when C-USA was raided a couple years ago. Those schools should have lobbied hard for C-USA to add a northern division then if the Dakotas were ever going to go FBS 

The UAC's plans to elevate themselves to the FBS is an unprecedented move in CFB with only the CAA briefly entertaining the idea nearly 2 decades ago. Should the NCAA veto an entire conference's promotion, the obvious solution would be 10 separate invitations to CUSA. Rounding out CUSA at 20 teams would provide depth & stability & more importantly key regional rivalries. East: Liberty, EKU, WKU, MTSU, APSU, KSU, FIU, UNA, Jax St, UCA West: La Tech, SFA, SH, TSU, UTRGV, UTEP, ACU, NMSU, UTU, SUU

8 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:
The UAC's plans to elevate themselves to the FBS is an unprecedented move in CFB with only the CAA briefly entertaining the idea nearly 2 decades ago. Should the NCAA veto an entire conference's promotion, the obvious solution would be 10 separate invitations to CUSA. Rounding out CUSA at 20 teams would provide depth & stability & more importantly key regional rivalries. East: Liberty, EKU, WKU, MTSU, APSU, KSU, FIU, UNA, Jax St, UCA West: La Tech, SFA, SH, TSU, UTRGV, UTEP, ACU, NMSU, UTU, SUU

Considering all the antitrust issues the NCAA has faced, I think it's interesting people completely poo poo the idea of a new fbs conference. 

8 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

funny

That's C-USA doing my "North Division" concept but going southwest with it. They (C-USA) get an FBS bullpen to draw from going forward and they are no longer the lowest FBS conference after this shakes out.

And with a pending NCAA $5M FBS buy-in looming, this is announced just before. I wonder if C-USA is getting anything for the 'timely' invitations. 

Before folks ask "what's a UAC?" ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Athletic_Conference 
C-USA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conference_USA 

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

not include the utah schools and it looks good and geographically tight?  why not!

Money.
I don't believe most of them have it if the NCAA sets new FBS minimums (16 sports, 210 grants, 90% of grants, $6M on grants).