SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

21 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

See our thread at GoYotes.net saying the exact same thing.  We should have gone to the Big Sky with you guys and never looked back.  By now the XDSU's would have joined us and we'd have our long dreamed alliance with the Montana and Idaho schools.

Instead we are stuck.

Once it was clear that a move to the MVC was not on the table for the Dakota schools.  tSL Dakota schools were left with two long term solutions:  1) Move to an all sports (Football/Olympic Sports) conference ie Big Sky, 2)  Move tSL toward an all sports conference (Football/Olympic Sports plus hockey).  When UND moved to tSL it made it clear to me that option 2 was the goal.  If it is not...   UND made a major mistake and they are now stuck.  Only a major shakeup at the FBS level is going to provide an opportunity to solve this problem. 

One last (unpleasant) thought: 

When the OVC took MSOC in house (no more Summit affiliates) the Summit really couldn't stand to lose a MSOC program. Then the OVC got WIU. Summit in peril. And there's that OVC name again. 

If the MVC were to suddenly go looking for a BB and baseball school and target ORU I'd be beyond paranoid. I'd know. 

3 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Boise State

Idaho

Idaho State

Montana 

Montana State

North Dakota

North Dakota State

South Dakota

South Dakota State

Wyoming

if I was in charge

I would think all would think about it if it was FBS except Boise and Wyoming even though those schools are are the same academic level as the rest. USD and ISU are not quite ready for FBS. All these teams could be in this opportunity if the MWC gets poached. Utah State would also be bottom tier mwc 

5 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Boise State

Idaho

Idaho State

Montana 

Montana State

North Dakota

North Dakota State

South Dakota

South Dakota State

Wyoming

if I was in charge

No to the terrible blue football field. As long as you are dreaming about getting a MWC school, how about Colorado State instead of Boise?

8 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Boise State

Idaho State

Idaho/Seattle 

Montana /Montana State

North Dakota/North Dakota State

South Dakota/South Dakota State

Wyoming/Denver

Cal Davis (football only)

No way Boise is going with this and I would drop ISU and add Cal Davis (football affiliate) and 2 basketball only - say Denver/Seattle.  You have 9 football and 10 Basketball with reasonable travel partners given its in the Western part of the country.  If USD would have joined the Big Sky when UND joined.  This would have had realistic change.  I think this is what Doug Fullerton had in mind when you brought in the UxD. But xSDU and USD were following the visionary - Patty Viverito - the commissioner that does care that one of her conference teams had to go on the road and literally got jobbed by the Playoff Committee.

20 hours ago, zonadub said:

No to the terrible blue football field. As long as you are dreaming about getting a MWC school, how about Colorado State instead of Boise?

Colorado State and Boise are nowhere near on the same level of universities. CSU blows Boise out of the water. They would be pac10 or big 12 before dropping down.

47 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Colorado State and Boise are nowhere near on the same level of universities. CSU blows Boise out of the water. They would be pac10 or big 12 before dropping down.

Colorado State is a joke across the board. They aren't competitive at anything. They would be the Morningside of this new conference if it ever happened.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Colorado State is a joke across the board. They aren't competitive at anything. They would be the Morningside of this new conference if it ever happened.

It’s not all about the athletic programs! Academics is important too. Who doesn’t love another doormat!

The “best” hope for something like this would be if the PAC 12 loses almost everybody except Washington State and Oregon State and they rebuild with most of the MWC. Then whoever is left in the MWC takes the Montanas, Idaho and reaches east to the Dakotas.

22 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

I don’t think Wyoming would hate playing the Montana’s and Dakota’s. Boise ain’t gonna want to play ISU. Tommies will be scholarship football soon. 

Wyoming wouldn’t play the Montana and dakotas in the same conference unless they were desperate 

22 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So we want a Rutgers in our conference home? And academics vs. athletics is a false choice. You don't have to sacrifice one to get the other.

Why would one of the top conferences add Rutgers then? What were they good at athletically?