SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Football only memberships are pretty few and far between in FBS. I think Navy and Hawaii are currently the only FBS, football-only affiliates of conferences and they are both fairly specific cases. There aren't a whole lot of conferences just looking for a football member, it doesn't do much to benefit anyone.

Interesting takes from Chaves:

- regional rivals matter at the gate (and travel budget)
- recruiting regions matter 
- time zones matter
- travel time/distance impacts the student-athletes
- a "sprawling geographical footprint" hits the travel budget 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/unds-football-ticket-revenues-showing-benefit-of-missouri-valley-football-conference-move  

Having UND in BSC versus UND in Summit/MVFC data to compare (even allowing for inflated travel costs) is good to have and be able to reference. 

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Interesting takes from Chaves:

- regional rivals matter at the gate (and travel budget)
- recruiting regions matter 
- time zones matter
- travel time/distance impacts the student-athletes
- a "sprawling geographical footprint" hits the travel budget 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/unds-football-ticket-revenues-showing-benefit-of-missouri-valley-football-conference-move  

Having UND in BSC versus UND in Summit/MVFC data to compare (even allowing for inflated travel costs) is good to have and be able to reference. 

What was really tough for UND in the Big Sky was no United flight to Denver.  That would likely have cut a lot of costs, certainly shortened flight times and just been generally more convenient.  I remember a couple of times being on flights out of Devils Lake with UND athletes for that very reason.  USD backing out certainly didn't help as it cut out a longtime rival and it made UND an island for the other Big Sky teams.

Different levels, same topic:

U of Jamestown applying to the NSIC. 

The Jimmies are an NAIA program that competes in the Great Plains Athletic Conference so this would be a move to NCAA Division II for them. Mary (Bismarck), Minot, and MSU-Moorhead are NSIC schools. 

https://www.inforum.com/sports/college/university-of-jamestown-has-applied-to-join-nsic-sources-say 

https://northernsun.org/index.aspx 

16 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

What was really tough for UND in the Big Sky was no United flight to Denver.  That would likely have cut a lot of costs, certainly shortened flight times and just been generally more convenient.  I remember a couple of times being on flights out of Devils Lake with UND athletes for that very reason.  USD backing out certainly didn't help as it cut out a longtime rival and it made UND an island for the other Big Sky teams.

Very true. That was due to the SD Board of Regents stepping in at the midnight hour to nix USD's intention to join the BSC. This is why it's hard for me to see how they would allow SDSU to go FBS, without USD, if the two teams ever desired to do such a thing. However, maybe times have changed. I don't know anything anymore in the current environment.

1 minute ago, Teeder11 said:

Very true. That was due to the SD Board of Regents stepping in at the midnight hour to nix USD's intention to join the BSC. This is why it's hard for me to see how they would allow SDSU to go FBS, without USD, if the two teams ever desired to do such a thing.

I completely agree.  Plus, I don't think the SDSU is ready to go FBS.  They still have to pay for the facilities.  And they need to get attendance up for all football games.  Late season games still hurt them due to weather.  The South Dakota schools are not funded at the same level as North Dakota schools.  The academic funding for both USD and SDSU would be approximately equivalent to UND budget.  There are many differences between the South Dakota schools and North Dakota schools.

25 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Very true. That was due to the SD Board of Regents stepping in at the midnight hour to nix USD's intention to join the BSC. This is why it's hard for me to see how they would allow SDSU to go FBS, without USD, if the two teams ever desired to do such a thing. However, maybe times have changed. I don't know anything anymore in the current environment.

Under the proposed FBS standards (discussed in this thread previously), both would have some work to do. 

NCAA Proposal up for vote (to be FBS):
- 16 sports
- fund 90% of allowed grants in each sport sponsored
- $6 million in grants <- each at least $1M below 
- 210 total grants 
- elimination of the "15k attendance" rule

I will tell you that if any of the Dakota 4 make the move to FBS, all the Dakota 4 will be making the move to FBS.  As we learned 20 years ago, the cost of getting left behind is greater than the increased funding costs to stay with your peer Dakota schools.

Those mistakes will not be repeated.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I will tell you that if any of the Dakota 4 make the move to FBS, all the Dakota 4 will be making the move to FBS.  As we learned 20 years ago, the cost of getting left behind is greater than the increased funding costs to stay with your peer Dakota schools.

Those mistakes will not be repeated.

Agreed

This time, we all go together to the next level... whatever that said level looks like

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing ACC adds the three this week for the "15" reason given.

That'll force WasSU and OrSU to act.
I seem them putting the MWC at 16. 
I just don't see the AAC being fiscally viable (travel costs) for WasSU/OrSU ... or are folks just waiting to watch Tulane against WasSU. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I just don't see the AAC being fiscally viable (travel costs) for WasSU/OrSU ... or are folks just waiting to watch Tulane against WasSU. 

Gonzaga to the Mountain West might make some sense at that point.  Would counter Hawaii's football only membership and put the conference at 14 football and 14 non-football.  Gonzaga to the Big 12 never seemed legit, as they are at a far lower standing in the Olympic sports and travel would have been brutal, but Mountain West travel would be solid and the basketball league is quite good as well.  I think if they moved to 16 you might see Idaho get the call, reignite rivalry with Boise as well as the Battle of the Palouse, and UTEP to at least dip a toe into the Texas recruiting grounds.  Not a ton of other appealing options.  Maybe New Mexico St. over Idaho since it wouldn't require a transition to FBS.  If Davis or Poly were interested in moving to FBS they might be viable candidates as well.  Don't see anyone else getting a serious look.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I just don't see the AAC being fiscally viable (travel costs) for WasSU/OrSU
... or are folks just waiting to watch Tulane against WasSU. 

This is what I'd also think. When you're talking Power conference type of money compared to G5, FCS, anything goes. Location of schools, ending rivalries, all fair game. No schools left (including Wazzu / OrSU) moves the needle enough. Go regionalization. 

Looks like the ACC might accept Stanford, Cal and SMU. A couple random thoughts from a fan of the old PAC 12.

side question… What is “Atlantic” about Indiana (Notre Dame), Texas (SMU) and California (Stanford/Cal)?

If OR State and Wazzu stay PAC 12 and bring in 8 or 10 schools to return to PAC 10/12, would it still be considered a Power 5 Conference?

Conversely, if they go to either the MWC or AAC, will it then be Power 4 and Group of 5? And what would happen to the PAC’s FBS playoff and March Madness credits?

No matter what, the demise of the PAC 12 embodies what is wrong with the NCAA and college athletics in the quest for the almighty television dollar. How can (almost weekly) coast to coast travel be good for the student athlete? If the ACC takes Stanford, Cal and SMU, the B1G, Big XII and ACC will have schools on both coasts and across 3 or 4 time zones. The only conference that would be regional is the SEC. (Unless the PAC can somehow rebuild itself with MWC schools).

Knowing it will never happen… OSU and WSU add the Mountain West state schools to the PAC - Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV, Utah State, Colorado State, Wyoming and New Mexico along with Air Force. (I think they would have to vote to dissolve the MWC to avoid the exit fee) The city/commuter schools can then rebuild the MWC. Problem with this scenario being no Cali schools, but maybe San Diego and San Jose to make 12, but still would prefer the state schools + AF. I know, it will never happen, especially since it would hang Boise and Fresno.

End rant. fire away!

while looking up all the qb's that have come and gone in the last 10 years under bubba/danny i knew that kurt padenlach did well at unlv but didn't know that he is actually playing professional football in f'n JAPAN...

it's called the x league and it has PROMOTION and RELEGATION...love it!

(put in this thread bc the idea of d1 football not having conferneces but using R and R is kinda cool to me)

32 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

while looking up all the qb's that have come and gone in the last 10 years under bubba/danny i knew that kurt padenlach did well at unlv but didn't know that he is actually playing professional football in f'n JAPAN...

it's called the x league and it has PROMOTION and RELEGATION...love it!

(put in this thread bc the idea of d1 football not having conferneces but using R and R is kinda cool to me)

Padenlach was before Bubba and Danny

My first miss ... kinda ...

I had the 4C to the BXII and UW/UO to B1G.
Initially I had CaliStan to B1G but amended that a month ago to ACC so ... partial.
Now just need WasSU and OrSU to admit what they really are and land in the MWC. 

If the AAC pulls (to replace SMU) it'll be from within footprint and likely back in Texas. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My first miss ... kinda ...

I had the 4C to the BXII and UW/UO to B1G.
Initially I had CaliStan to B1G but amended that a month ago to ACC so ... partial.
Now just need WasSU and OrSU to admit what they really are and land in the MWC. 

If the AAC pulls (to replace SMU) it'll be from within footprint and likely back in Texas. 

Are you the real Carnac the  magnificent  

image.jpeg

Me? Carnac? No.

I was channeling my inner SiouxVolley (may he RIP): dollars, markets, basically do you add value comparable to what you take. Said another way ... 

If you're gonna take a burger and a brat at the conference Labor Day picnic you'd better have brought beverages and some good potato salad, and a pan of brownies wouldn't hurt. 

UNC, FSU, and Clemson were the three "nay" votes. (Takes four; NCSU was fourth but turned to "yea".)

Biggest values in ACC? UNC, FSU, and Clemson. <- B1G and/or SEC targets 

I suspect some serious horse-trading went on. That, or NCSU realized if the mentioned three find a way out, NCSU looks more "WasSU" than "USC". NCSU was likely adding teams to protect itself and the future ACC (and not end up like the PAC).