SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

2 hours ago, UND08 said:

There is potential for some major movement on the local small college landscape.  Could you see a league that looks like this at some point?

1. Mary
  2. Minot
  3. Jamestown
  4. Hills
  5. Mines
  6. Chadron
  7. Dickinson (it's either this or the Frontier)
  8. Valley City (It's either this or the Frontier...which would be even worse for VC than Dicky)
  9. Dakota State (D2 ambitions)
  10. MSU Billings (Cut Travel - no football)
  11. BSC - (See new arena renderings and 4 year college ambitions)

This would put Mayville in a very bad spot, but I don't think they could swing a move up.  Heck, I'm very unsure that VC and even Dicky could.  But this is workable from a travel standpoint.  It'll be interesting to see if something like this happens or if the NSIC goes back to 16.  I'm not sure the Mankato's and Duluth's of the world will want to be in a conference with UJ.

How are UND and NDSU allowing BSC to have 4 year college ambitions?  Seems like a problem with the attendance issues in ND and the looming attendance cliff.  

35 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

How are UND and NDSU allowing BSC to have 4 year college ambitions?  Seems like a problem with the attendance issues in ND and the looming attendance cliff.  

They already offer a few four year degree options...

As for their future ambitions...

The Next Big Milestone: BSC pursues four-year polytechnic mission | Bismarck State College

UMary is looking to leave the Bowl and return football to campus.  The Bowl is pretty much on the BSC campus...and as far as a new arena...their students just approved this...

BSC students vote in favor of new human performance center | Bismarck State  College

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UND08 said:

There is potential for some major movement on the local small college landscape.  Could you see a league that looks like this at some point?

1. Mary
  2. Minot
  3. Jamestown
  4. Hills
  5. Mines
  6. Chadron
  7. Dickinson (it's either this or the Frontier)
  8. Valley City (It's either this or the Frontier...which would be even worse for VC than Dicky)
  9. Dakota State (D2 ambitions)
  10. MSU Billings (Cut Travel - no football)
  11. BSC - (See new arena renderings and 4 year college ambitions)

This would put Mayville in a very bad spot, but I don't think they could swing a move up.  Heck, I'm very unsure that VC and even Dicky could.  But this is workable from a travel standpoint.  It'll be interesting to see if something like this happens or if the NSIC goes back to 16.  I'm not sure the Mankato's and Duluth's of the world will want to be in a conference with UJ.

I think the SD Mines is very happy being a in a conference with Colorado Mines.  The RMAC is a very good conference.  Not sure that they would move.  I don't know about Chadron and Hills.  Maybe they would be interested.  But, there is no easy path north from those locations.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FSSD said:

I think the SD Mines is very happy being a in a conference with Colorado Mines.  The RMAC is a very good conference.  Not sure that they would move.  I don't know about Chadron and Hills.  Maybe they would be interested.  But, there is no easy path north from those locations.

I don't disagree.  I don't really think Minot and Mary want out of the NSIC either...there's stability in numbers.  The schools that are absolutely hosed in all this are Dickinson, VC and Mayville.  Dickinson can probably survive in the frontier but that didn't go so well for them last time they tried it.  Valley and Mayville have no options.  I heard that VCSU offers something like 10-12 football scholarships.  That won't get it done in the NSIC or any D2 league...but D3 isn't an option either.

1 hour ago, UND08 said:

I don't disagree.  I don't really think Minot and Mary want out of the NSIC either...there's stability in numbers.  The schools that are absolutely hosed in all this are Dickinson, VC and Mayville.  Dickinson can probably survive in the frontier but that didn't go so well for them last time they tried it.  Valley and Mayville have no options.  I heard that VCSU offers something like 10-12 football scholarships.  That won't get it done in the NSIC or any D2 league...but D3 isn't an option either.

ND has too many college football teams, ND also has too many 4 year colleges! Tough decisions need to be made.

ND should follow the WY higher ed model

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

ND has too many college football teams, ND also has too many 4 year colleges! Tough decisions need to be made.

ND should follow the WY higher ed model

You realize that would involve having only one four year University? So how would that be resolved between UND and NDSU? Or are you suggesting shutting down every school not located in Fargo or Grand Forks?

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You realize that would involve having only one four year University? So how would that be resolved between UND and NDSU? Or are you suggesting shutting down every school not located in Fargo or Grand Forks?

And combine them where? Mayville?

4 hours ago, UND08 said:

They already offer a few four year degree options...

As for their future ambitions...

The Next Big Milestone: BSC pursues four-year polytechnic mission | Bismarck State College

UMary is looking to leave the Bowl and return football to campus.  The Bowl is pretty much on the BSC campus...and as far as a new arena...their students just approved this...

BSC students vote in favor of new human performance center | Bismarck State  College

Interesting they went to ASU's Poly campus, which is where all the engineering degrees ASU offers are supposed to move to at some point, to get an idea on making BSC a polytechnic college. UND has an aerospace school (2-year) on the ASU poly campus, but it is through CGCC. On ASU's main campus, Universty of Mary has a church. 

19 hours ago, cberkas said:

Interesting they went to ASU's Poly campus, which is where all the engineering degrees ASU offers are supposed to move to at some point, to get an idea on making BSC a polytechnic college. UND has an aerospace school (2-year) on the ASU poly campus, but it is through CGCC. On ASU's main campus, Universty of Mary has a church. 

What's CGCC?

Also can BSC do that without change in state law?  

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

BSC exists under VIII.6.1.f

And such other state institutions of higher education as may hereafter be established

https://www.ndlegis.gov/constit/a08.pdf

Thanks.  Is this a major problem for UND/NDSU?  

"BSC received permission from the SBHE to offer a BAS in Cybersecurity and Information Technology. While we didn’t have the appropriated funds needed to standup this program, industry came through – providing $1.85M. The Higher Learning Commission approved launching that program in fall 2019. Students are" already enrolling.

Isn't that a duplicate degree to what UND already offers?

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

WasSU is, what they call in the trade, deep in the fiscal hurt bag ... and that was with PAC money coming in. Now they have less than PAC money coming in because the media value PAC schools are in the B1G or BXII. 

idaho was/is so ahead of the times..........haha

23 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

The man behind ASU hockey Ray Anderson suddenly resign day looks like their athletic department is in turmoil to

Anderson resigned because of the Herm Edwards (and Antonio Pierce*) FB coaching debacle. Herm committed serious recruiting no-nos during Covid and speculation is the NCAA hammer is about to fall.**

The man really behind ASU hockey is this guy, because he lined up the money. Note his hometown and alma mater. 

*He's landed well since. ;) 

** Old joke time -> the NCAA is so mad at Arizona State that they'll put Northern Arizona on two year's probation***. ;):D  
*** the big schools get away with everything is the joke 

• Like 1