SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

I was reading an article (Michigan football leave the Big Ten Jim Harbaugh suspension? (usatoday.com)) about Michigan leaving the Big Ten due to the commissioner's handling of Jim Harbaugh suspension. Obviously, I don't care about Michigan football and if they leave the Big Ten but the main question would be is, what happens to the hockey conference if it were to happen? I don't think they would get an autobid any longer, as you have to have more than 6 teams in a conference to get one. Would they bring in an affiliate school or would we see the remaining teams disband into other conferences?

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Michigan would not leave the B1G.

Too. Much. Money. 

I don’t think it would happen and I’m sure it’s being discussed out of anger and trying to persuade the B10 commish to rethink what he is doing. However, I also don’t think they care because it’s Michigan and any other power 5 conference would welcome them in a heartbeat.

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Michigan would not leave the B1G.

Too. Much. Money. 

Not without a plan they wouldn't.  But this could be a catalyst for a 20-30 school super league free of the NCAA.  And with NIL and student free agency, there aren't really rules anymore anyway, so this could be an opportunity to shed the Purdues, Vanderbilts, Northwesterns, Wake Forests etc. in much the same way that the PAC 2 have been unceremoniously dropped.  There is supposedly venture capital money that can make it a reality tomorrow and Michigan law grads can get them out of any contracts (and might be able to extract ACC schools as well).  Would create a de facto national college league and render almost everyone else worthless TV wise, except for local deals.

3 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

Not without a plan they wouldn't.  But this could be a catalyst for a 20-30 school super league free of the NCAA.  And with NIL and student free agency, there aren't really rules anymore anyway, so this could be an opportunity to shed the Purdues, Vanderbilts, Northwesterns, MInnesotas, Wake Forests etc. in much the same way that the PAC 2 have been unceremoniously dropped.  There is supposedly venture capital money that can make it a reality tomorrow and Michigan law grads can get them out of any contracts (and might be able to extract ACC schools as well).  Would create a de facto national college league and render almost everyone else worthless TV wise, except for local deals.

fixed

17 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

I was reading an article (Michigan football leave the Big Ten Jim Harbaugh suspension? (usatoday.com)) about Michigan leaving the Big Ten due to the commissioner's handling of Jim Harbaugh suspension. Obviously, I don't care about Michigan football and if they leave the Big Ten but the main question would be is, what happens to the hockey conference if it were to happen? I don't think they would get an autobid any longer, as you have to have more than 6 teams in a conference to get one. Would they bring in an affiliate school or would we see the remaining teams disband into other conferences?

I believe a minimum of 6 teams are required for an auto bid. If Michigan did leave the league would be left with 6 teams (MN, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Notre Dame). This 

The agreement, expected to include a lucrative financial package for Mountain West members, is likely to feature a long-term commitment to the conference with an intent at a full merger beyond this two-year cycle. Part of the agreement includes a financial penalty that can be levied upon Oregon State and Washington State if the two programs attempt to acquire only a portion of MWC schools in the future.

https://sports.yahoo.com/oregon-state-washington-state-moving-forward-with-future-plans-after-victory-in-court-134733816.html 

One step closer to a MWC WasSU OrSU merger under some name/umbrella. 

On 10/19/2023 at 2:24 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

You realize that would involve having only one four year University? So how would that be resolved between UND and NDSU? Or are you suggesting shutting down every school not located in Fargo or Grand Forks?

Keep Fargo and UND as the only 4 year schools. All the other schools should become feeder jr colleges that only offer 2 year degrees. Also all 4 year online degrees should run through UND and NDSU. Time to become efficient in higher ed!

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 10:58 AM, Sioux>Bison said:

Keep Fargo and UND as the only 4 year schools. All the other schools should become feeder jr colleges that only offer 2 year degrees. Also all 4 year online degrees should run through UND and NDSU. Time to become efficient in higher ed!

There would still be University of Mary.

4 minutes ago, cberkas said:

9 (Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, BC, and Arizona State)

Thanks. I wasn’t trying to be lazy. I just figured someone already had the answer. 

So if there is to be a reorganization of the NCAA, how is hockey to be handled with only 9  P5 schools?