SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

• 2 weeks later...

As expected, the following was voted to be effective today:

Division I membership requirements

The council also adopted changes to membership requirements for Football Bowl Subdivision schools that: 

• Eliminate attendance requirements at FBS schools (effective immediately).
  • Increase the application fee for transitioning from FCS to FBS from $5,000 to $5 million (effective immediately).
  • Require all FBS programs to provide 90% of the total number of allowable scholarships over a two-year rolling period across 16 sports, including football. FBS schools will also be required to fund 210 scholarships each year, amounting to no less than $6 million annually (effective August 2027).
    • For schools that begin transitioning to FBS in 2024-25 or later, requirements must be met by the conclusion of the transition process.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/10/4/media-center-di-council-approves-changes-to-notification-of-transfer-windows.aspx

•  

Eliminate attendance requirements at FBS schools (effective immediately). <- Works in UND's favor; Alerus capacity no longer an issue.

Increase the application fee for transitioning from FCS to FBS from $5,000 to $5 million (effective immediately). <- call @gfhockey; he'll cover it. Straight cash homie!  ;) 

Require all FBS programs to provide 90% of the total number of allowable scholarships over a two-year rolling period across 16 sports, including football. <- UND doing that today. 

FBS schools will also be required to fund 210 scholarships each year, amounting to no less than $6 million annually (effective August 2027). <- Adding 22 scholarships for FBS (63 to 85) puts UND over 210; awarding $6M now, before the Alston Awards program. 

For schools that begin transitioning to FBS in 2024-25 or later, requirements must be met by the conclusion of the transition process.

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Will these new requirements force any current FBS schools to drop down to FCS?

Ask me in August 2027 (like it says the effective date for existing members is). 

My guess? There are some low-budget southern schools that will struggle to do $6M in grants. 

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

couldn't fenton do the "lock it up" threat......u leave oly...nchc will say goodbye to your hockey team and have fun against robert morris

Considering they are currently separate entities, I don't think that will work all that well.
I'm sure Heather Weems probably wouldn't appreciate it either.

That being said, Fenton, Weems and Viverito will all be doing a panel at the UND Booster Luncheon Friday at the Memorial Union and taking questions. Seems like a good chance to get some of the answers you are looking for.

35 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Considering they are currently separate entities, I don't think that will work all that well.

That being said, Fenton, Weems and Viverito will all be doing a panel at the UND Booster Luncheon Friday at the Memorial Union and taking questions. Seems like a good chance to get some of the answers you are looking for.

"currently"...

hope schloss or miller asks about soccer teams and or summit football? (and men's lax)

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I thought he was banned for the biker shorts incident of 2014?

On 10/11/2023 at 1:05 PM, jdub27 said:

Did they say or imply anything of interest?  Interesting coincidence that they were all there during the same weekend.

On 10/11/2023 at 1:47 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Holy smokes!
https://www.gpacsports.com/general/2023-24/releases/20231011mi3rze 

UJ had applied to the NSIC (DII) and this is how the GPAC (NAIA) treats them. Ouch. 

They should seriously look at forming a new D2 league with Minot, Mary, Black Hills State, SD Mines, Chadron, and MSU Billings.  Would cut down travel for all of them and be a more competitive environment with roughly similar schools.

7 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

They should seriously look at forming a new D2 league with Minot, Mary, Black Hills State, SD Mines, Chadron, and MSU Billings.  Would cut down travel for all of them and be a more competitive environment with roughly similar schools.

There is potential for some major movement on the local small college landscape.  Could you see a league that looks like this at some point?

1. Mary
  2. Minot
  3. Jamestown
  4. Hills
  5. Mines
  6. Chadron
  7. Dickinson (it's either this or the Frontier)
  8. Valley City (It's either this or the Frontier...which would be even worse for VC than Dicky)
  9. Dakota State (D2 ambitions)
  10. MSU Billings (Cut Travel - no football)
  11. BSC - (See new arena renderings and 4 year college ambitions)

This would put Mayville in a very bad spot, but I don't think they could swing a move up.  Heck, I'm very unsure that VC and even Dicky could.  But this is workable from a travel standpoint.  It'll be interesting to see if something like this happens or if the NSIC goes back to 16.  I'm not sure the Mankato's and Duluth's of the world will want to be in a conference with UJ.