SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

16 hours ago, jdub27 said:

What money? There are no exit fees and the conference actually owes Comcast $50 million for overpayments. The only value that exists for the PAC is their P5 autonomy (for now) and NCAA credits. 

And many schools know how valuable the P5 autonomy is..  It carries serious branding for a school and a State.

14 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The CSU Rams and SDSU Aztecs would like a word with you. 

Oh yes on CSU Rams, they and OrSt and WasSt are absolutely peer Land grants schools.  SDSU Aztecs are a different beast.  They have enrollment and location which is to say another California market that doesn't care about football.

31 minutes ago, FSSD said:

And many schools know how valuable the P5 autonomy is..  It carries serious branding for a school and a State.

The PAC was an autonomy conference not because of "PAC" but USC/UW/UCLA/UO/UA/ASU/CU/UU. Without those the "autonomy" status will be stripped at the next major rules meeting. It has to -- there's money involved meaning more for the remaining four. 

... the Power Five conferences are identified individually under NCAA rules as "autonomy conferences," which grants them some independence from standard NCAA rules to provide additional resources for the benefit of student-athletes.

Reality: As of Saturday morning it's now P4 and four autonomy conferences. They just have to vote and update the rule book.

29 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The PAC was an autonomy conference not because of "PAC" but USC/UW/UCLA/UO/UA/ASU/CU/UU. Without those the "autonomy" status will be stripped at the next major rules meeting. It has to -- there's money involved meaning more for the remaining four. 

... the Power Five conferences are identified individually under NCAA rules as "autonomy conferences," which grants them some independence from standard NCAA rules to provide additional resources for the benefit of student-athletes.

Reality: As of Saturday morning it's now P4 and four autonomy conferences. They just have to vote and update the rule book.

There are opportunities available that many schools will never see again.  Do you want to sit in G5 purgatory were the gap is only going to get worse or take a chance and create new opportunity.  The clock is ticking.

34 minutes ago, FSSD said:

There are opportunities available that many schools will never see again.  Do you want to sit in G5 purgatory were the gap is only going to get worse or take a chance and create new opportunity.  The clock is ticking.

Whatever rises from the ashes of the PAC will not be a "P" conference, even a merged broke PAC-Mountain group. 

Welcome to "P4" ... or maybe P2 and M2 (middling, meaning BXII and ACC). 

18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I see six(!) AAC members at $18M buy-out per plus UB (MAC buy-out) and Navy. Your new consortium is starting off with over $100M in owed dollars to AAC/MAC before they hold an organizational meeting. And the "OG" bringing them in have no media deal and no money. 

Fail. 

either pac 12 goes geographic (mwc raid) or it goes national and grabs a combo of athletics/academics

100 million dollars....just put em on affirm or zelle and pay it over a few months!

then obviously fire the commish and find someone that can get a media deal for the conference that spans the whole usa, has decent media markets, good academics....

the folding of the pac and the mwc adding wsu and osu is the worst outcome for izzo and kolpack down in fargo when it comes to fbs

i see larsen pivoting away from FBS ! FBS ! and  doubling down on getting ndac in the mvc by essentially stabbing the dak 3 in the back on everything to get a mvc invite

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the folding of the pac and the mwc adding wsu and osu is the worst outcome for izzo and kolpack down in fargo when it comes to fbs

i see larsen pivoting away from FBS ! FBS ! and  doubling down on getting ndac in the mvc by essentially stabbing the dak 3 in the back on everything to get a mvc invite

Ndac care about hoops enough to want to be in mvc? I think FBS is more important 

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

"Competitive Parity" was cause. Flimsy, but allowed by their by-laws.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/26801838/st-thomas-wins-too-much-kicked-miac 

Getting kicked out of the MIAC was the best thing that could have happened to St. Thomas. They will become a factor in Division I during the next 5 to 10 years.

• Upvote 1

The two big rumors right now going around are.

• MWC: Effectively dissolves. 9 members vote to leave the conference (waive the $34 million exit fees). MWC is in the position that the PAC is in now.
  • Oregon State / San Diego State: In talks w/ Big 12 to go at a reduced rate.

I want to concentrate on the top rumor. Where would UND be in the G5 / FCS pecking order? The worry now for me as far as UND is they are left out on this big shift that sees NDSU / SDSU / Mont / Mont State / Idaho / UC Davis / Sac State backfilling the MWC. 

Should the MWC "dissolve" but only part have a soft landing spot, the remainder will wonder how that happened. Collusion? Litigation? Like I said elsewhere, should MWC dissolution come to vote I'd rather be SDSU, CSU, USAFA than Wyo, UNM, USU, in the aftermath. 

17 minutes ago, AJS said:

The worry now for me as far as UND is they are left out on this big shift that sees NDSU / SDSU / Mont / Mont State / Idaho / UC Davis / Sac State backfilling the MWC. 

I still believe there won't be a big shift.
The PAC4 will quietly find homes and things will pause until either FSU breaks the ACC GOR or 2026 (playoff/media deal). 

As far as your list, who has all their ducks all in a row right now should the phone ring. 

49 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

it's always sdsu instead of sodak in the "what if's".......what the hell does/did brookings have over vermillion that sdac is the "flagship" of that state..........

When it comes to SDSU making moves there is always talk, discussion, more talk, speculation.  USD just does it.

Look at how the facilities and the campus at USD have changed.  The CSC, workout facilities, track complex, softball complex, expanded DakotaDome, now building an indoor aquatics center.

If there is a move to FBS, none of the Dak4 are going to be left out of it, every one of us is positioning ourselves to make that move if the opportunity comes.  Too many politics to allow that to happen again and there will not be a repeat of what happened 20 years.  A lot of lessons learned from all that.

• Upvote 3