SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

6 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

When it comes to SDSU making moves there is always talk, discussion, more talk, speculation.  USD just does it.

Look at how the facilities and the campus at USD have changed.  The CSC, workout facilities, track complex, softball complex, expanded DakotaDome, now building an indoor aquatics center.

If there is a move to FBS, none of the Dak4 are going to be left out of it, every one of us is positioning ourselves to make that move if the opportunity comes.  Too many politics to allow that to happen again and there will not be a repeat of what happened 20 years.  A lot of lessons learned from all that.

law school....med school....beautiful campus.

the dumps of ndac and sdac are laughable.

biggest differece between north and south is that brooking and vermilion are small towns...equally.

in north dakota fargo is much bigger than gf but bigger isn't always better.

7 hours ago, AJS said:

The two big rumors right now going around are.

• MWC: Effectively dissolves. 9 members vote to leave the conference (waive the $34 million exit fees). MWC is in the position that the PAC is in now.
  • Oregon State / San Diego State: In talks w/ Big 12 to go at a reduced rate.

I want to concentrate on the top rumor. Where would UND be in the G5 / FCS pecking order? The worry now for me as far as UND is they are left out on this big shift that sees NDSU / SDSU / Mont / Mont State / Idaho / UC Davis / Sac State backfilling the MWC. 

I’m not sure you could say SDSU is any better positioned to go to the MWC than UND from what Sik has presented. I do think NDSU is the closest and most ready. I don’t see the Montanas or SD’s any more ready to make the move than UND. I do think Idaho is as ready or more prepared than NDSU. All of the Dakotas and Montanas could be ready to make the jump and bring the summit non football members with us. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I’m not sure you could say SDSU is any better positioned to go to the MWC than UND from what Sik has presented. I do think NDSU is the closest and most ready. I don’t see the Montanas or SD’s any more ready to make the move than UND. I do think Idaho is as ready or more prepared than NDSU. All of the Dakotas and Montanas could be ready to make the jump and bring the summit non football members with us. 

you kinda spoke out both sides of your mouth tho by saying Sik is right on SDSU but not right on NDSU....his numbers don't lie. one could say with title 9 NDAC might be last in pecking order for FBS of the dak4

i agree about idaho...they were FBS for years until.........conference realighntment

Pete Thamel's reporting in the next 24 hours, there's two calls for the ACC to vet early exploratory discussions on the potential additions of Cal and Stanford. 

What would make the most sense to me. Cal and Stanford join one of the ACC / BIG / Big 12. I have a hard time believing they want anything to do with the rest in the West. Wazzu and Oregon State to the MWC. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

Pete Thamel's reporting in the next 24 hours, there's two calls for the ACC to vet early exploratory discussions on the potential additions of Cal and Stanford. 

What would make the most sense to me. Cal and Stanford join one of the ACC / BIG / Big 12. I have a hard time believing they want anything to do with the rest in the West. Wazzu and Oregon State to the MWC. 

that does make sense...lots of travel but gives them a home

So, if the networks are willing to pay more on the B1G and Big XII contracts to add the PAC12 schools to those conference payments, are Stanford, Cali, OSU and WSU so bad that the networks were not willing to pay the PAC12?

I know I am showing my age, but what has happened to NCAA sports with realignment, transfer portal, NIL, and the endorsement of biological males competing and showering with biological females (funny, there is not a problem the other way, only men in women’s sports - what happened to Title IX?). Not to even bring up forcing (only some) schools to change their nicknames! Will common sense ever return to college athletics?

• Upvote 4

Current rumors, which might be obsolete by noon.

• ACC is still internally discussing the additions of not only Cal & Stanford, but also potentially SMU.
  • MWC seems aligned. Would add Pac-4 but would not move the 9 best to PAC leaving others behind. 
  • AAC also wants remaining Pac-4 schools

Here's my thinking. If I'm looking at the Pac-4, MWC, AAC. The big time $ is gone. The only way to get that $ is to move to one of the remaining Power conferences. Where I am a bit confused. Why would the ACC not admit Cal & Stanford? From a travel perspective, we're talking 1 road trip for each sport out to San Francisco. You play them both on that swing. Travel would be atrocious for Cal & Stanford, but not the other way around. Also, look what just happened to the Pac-12. There's only a handful of big players that aren't in the BIG, 12, SEC. Get them into the fold. 

My guess still is ACC admits Cal & Stanford. Wazzu and Oregon State to MWC. That's it. 

29 minutes ago, AJS said:

Current rumors, which might be obsolete by noon.

• ACC is still internally discussing the additions of not only Cal & Stanford, but also potentially SMU.
  • MWC seems aligned. Would add Pac-4 but would not move the 9 best to PAC leaving others behind. 
  • AAC also wants remaining Pac-4 schools

Here's my thinking. If I'm looking at the Pac-4, MWC, AAC. The big time $ is gone. The only way to get that $ is to move to one of the remaining Power conferences. Where I am a bit confused. Why would the ACC not admit Cal & Stanford? From a travel perspective, we're talking 1 road trip for each sport out to San Francisco. You play them both on that swing. Travel would be atrocious for Cal & Stanford, but not the other way around. Also, look what just happened to the Pac-12. There's only a handful of big players that aren't in the BIG, 12, SEC. Get them into the fold. 

My guess still is ACC admits Cal & Stanford. Wazzu and Oregon State to MWC. That's it. 

I think your last comment is the most likely scenario.
ACC must want to get into Texas for recruiting at some cost if they are looking at and SMU is apparently really pushing to get back to a P5 conference as they are reportedly offering to forego any revenue share for the first few years of joining a conference. So that's a move that could happen but don't see it causing a lot of dominos to continue to fall though. Maybe the AAC goes after one other school to get back to an even number? UTEP to add another Texas school?

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I think your last comment is the most likely scenario.
ACC must want to get into Texas for recruiting at some cost if they are looking at and SMU is apparently really pushing to get back to a P5 conference as they are reportedly offering to forego any revenue share for the first few years of joining a conference. So that's a move that could happen but don't see it causing a lot of dominos to continue to fall though. Maybe the AAC goes after one other school to get back to an even number? UTEP to add another Texas school?

Bisonville is thinking the AAC will take them or hoping anyway , what a mess of a conference the AAC is 

26 minutes ago, Kab said:

Bisonville is thinking the AAC will take them or hoping anyway , what a mess of a conference the AAC is 

I'd disagree on the AAC being a mess. 

But regardless, why that won't happen in one picture:

If they need to replace SMU, it will be with an all sports member to get back to an even 14. There is no amount of untapped revenue out there that makes trips to Fargo worth it.

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

If they need to replace SMU, it will be with an all sports member to get back to an even 14. There is no amount of untapped revenue out there that makes trips to Fargo worth it.

Add the Dakotas and do Central/East divisions 

1 hour ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

AAC doesn't need to and the Dakota schools (individually or any combination of them) doesn't come close to adding $7 million per school value to the media contract. 

But that line of thinking could be what spurs some movement with some group down the road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

AAC doesn't need to and the Dakota schools (individually or any combination of them) doesn't come close to adding $7 million per school value to the media contract. 

But that line of thinking could be what spurs some movement with some group down the road.

Yeah I agree with you.  I really think the best option would be to start a new FBS conference if that's what the schools in our area want.  I don't think the NCAA would try to block it considering how geography is pretty much the only reason NDSU hasn't gotten an FBS invite yet.  Current NCAA rules requiring a conf invite are, in practice, restricting competition based on geography, which is a antitrust violation.  Just look at the profiles of the recent FCS move ups vs the Dakota's and Montana schools.  An FBS conference with some version of current FCS schools like these would probably be the most sustainable as well, and the schools could also approach a TV deal with a more local, rather than national strategy, as this could help the schools to maximize tv revenue while mantaining weekend games.  The Montana Schools would make deals with Scripps for example, NDSU could keep their deal with WDAY, and the Dakota schools could continue with Midco.  Other schools could work with rsn's or local TV.  League would combine rights for streaming and Nationally televised games only, similar to the NCHC.  Do I think FBS is worth all that hassle? Not right now, especially now since the PAC imploding could change the current CFP plans (CFP could effectively become P4 only because all those schools care about is money).  I think looking into something like this would be a better approach to FBS than some far flung conference.  Goal should be a regional conference with MAC-like stability.   I just don't get the appeal of FBS right now though... look at Boise as the perfect example.. had a good season and ended up playing in a half empty Frisco Bowl.  Woopeeee. 

To be honest, I kinda think NDSU wants to sandbag it in FCS anyway.  If they really wanted to move up, they would have tried to replicate the move Liberty made.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

missouri state>ndac

• Upvote 2

IMHO the only way for Dakota 4 to go fbs is team up with some big sky schools and call it the little 8,10,12 or 16 whatever it takes and that won’t happen either 

it will be the luck of the draw that one of these teams go fbs because another conference needs 1 team 

Why go FBS at this point?  To spend even more on football and let other programs languish.  What has happened in the past 10 days that leads you to think we are headed to anything other than a college football premier league that will command near pro like tv deal and leave all other programs in the wake. Today its Oregon St and Washington St, tomorrow its Vandy, Indiana, Mizzou,Minnesota etc.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

UNI and MoSt would leave the MVC for the AAC. Problem is the AAC doesn’t want to add anyone. The Bison fans also think that they are worth 7 mil per year if they were in the FBS, I need to get me some of that koolaid

• Like 1