SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

This will not happen. UNC is horrid. You guys need to get rid of this thread. If Muss get the Sioux playing a hard nosed running game with some great line play......the Sky will not know how to handle it.

Looks like our Bison friend already third that motion. Although he might have had an ulterior motive ;).

Darrell started this thread after losing to Idaho. Which could have been a winnable game, but it was the first game of the season versus a scholarship school, against an opponent that is in a higher football classification than UND.

Lil premature I would say.

Looks like our Bison friend already third that motion. Although he might have had an ulterior motive ;).

Darrell started this thread after losing to Idaho. Which could have been a winnable game, but it was the first game of the season versus a scholarship school, against an opponent that is in a higher football classification than UND.

Lil premature I would say.

Maybe Muss read this thread that I started and got his team motivated enought to win the Conference Title with Cal Poly and go from 3-8 to 8-3. I have the power to persuade!!!

• Upvote 1

Maybe Muss read this thread that I started and got his team motivated enought to win the Conference Title with Cal Poly and go from 3-8 to 8-3. I have the power to persuade!!!

This very well could be true. We will never know. But the unfortunate part is this thread will be around for a long time now and anytime the Sioux have a bad game next year it will reappear. It's a double edged sword. While I definitely have been critical of Mussman, he is the coach of the year in the conference. And as our world turns only bad things get reported. There is no thread titled Mussman Named Great West Coach of the Year for the recruits to read.

UND needs just as many cheerleaders as they do antagonists.

This very well could be true. We will never know. But the unfortunate part is this thread will be around for a long time now and anytime the Sioux have a bad game next year it will reappear. It's a double edged sword. While I definitely have been critical of Mussman, he is the coach of the year in the conference. And as our world turns only bad things get reported. There is no thread titled Mussman Named Great West Coach of the Year for the recruits to read.

UND needs just as many cheerleaders as they do antagonists.

We need to evaluate him after the first year of the Big Sky. He has an unfriendly schedule with SD Mines and now UCA backing out to try to get UND to 7 DI wins. Plus a new QB (we have no idea who will step up) it will be nothing but a guessing game every week on his coaching skills.

We need to evaluate him after the first year of the Big Sky. He has an unfriendly schedule with SD Mines and now UCA backing out to try to get UND to 7 DI wins. Plus a new QB (we have no idea who will step up) it will be nothing but a guessing game every week on his coaching skills.

maybe the dumbest post you have made...you make cbc sioux sound like a genious!!

maybe the dumbest post you have made...you make cbc sioux sound like a genious!!

Please explain? Were you happy with his skills when Idaho came back and won? Were you happy when we lost to Cal Poly? Or how about almost losses to UNC, Sioux Falls and USD? If we were to lose those games UND would have been 5-6. I will give Muss a 1 year break as he will be going into uncharted territory..a new, full conference not a 5 team league. So if UND can get a respectable position (winning record perhaps) then give him an extention but if we go 0-11 or 2-9 then can him. That simple.

How about being happy with a team that was able to win in spite of the enormous ineptitude at quaterback? Look at the recruiting classes, they get better each year. Imagine what the team looks like in three years after class after class of players that make near immediate impact. Maybe instead of being backseat coaches all of you should get back to being fans and cheer the team on as they prove you wrong again and again and again.

I have cheered the team on since I was 9 years old and my dad took me to UND vs E. Strousburg, PA in 1985. So I lived through the NDSU 63 UND 0 days, the 2-9 Roger Thomas era. The playoff heartbreak of the 90's. I was estatic with 2001 and 2003 as we rose to the top and almost to the top in 03. But since Muss took over we have had 6-4, 6-5, 3-8, and now 8-3 seasons so excuse me for not supporting him 100%. And how many of those wins are NON DI teams..A lot!! This year he did something that hasn't been seen in a while...beating a FCS team ON THE ROAD!! It was nice to see we can win at SUU and UC Davis. It was nice to almost beat Fresno State so that gave us hope, but we also struggled against Sioux Falls, UNC, and USD. USD understandable beacuse of their record, UNC....winless, and Sioux Falls...DII!!!! It looks like we are getting better and this first season in the Big Sky is a good measure to see where we are.

I have cheered the team on since I was 9 years old and my dad took me to UND vs E. Strousburg, PA in 1985. So I lived through the NDSU 63 UND 0 days, the 2-9 Roger Thomas era. The playoff heartbreak of the 90's. I was estatic with 2001 and 2003 as we rose to the top and almost to the top in 03. But since Muss took over we have had 6-4, 6-5, 3-8, and now 8-3 seasons so excuse me for not supporting him 100%. And how many of those wins are NON DI teams..A lot!! This year he did something that hasn't been seen in a while...beating a FCS team ON THE ROAD!! It was nice to see we can win at SUU and UC Davis. It was nice to almost beat Fresno State so that gave us hope, but we also struggled against Sioux Falls, UNC, and USD. USD understandable beacuse of their record, UNC....winless, and Sioux Falls...DII!!!! It looks like we are getting better and this first season in the Big Sky is a good measure to see where we are.

His first few years were with Lennon's players. Does that mean anything that the great coach Dale Lennon (who I did like and was a great D2 coach) left him with players that weren't very good? All of the players making plays with the exception of a few here and there are Mussman's players. And he was able to bring in capable players during a transition. And his team is leaving the transition on the up swing unlike NDSU was. Why am I the only one impressed with what he has done?

• Upvote 1

His first few years were with Lennon's players. Does that mean anything that the great coach Dale Lennon (who I did like and was a great D2 coach) left him with players that weren't very good? All of the players making plays with the exception of a few here and there are Mussman's players. And he was able to bring in capable players during a transition. And his team is leaving the transition on the up swing unlike NDSU was. Why am I the only one impressed with what he has done?

Muss is 14-19 vs DI teams (14-14 vs the FCS)...thats not impressive. Muss is 9-1 vs NON DI teams. 2010 we had only 1 game vs a non DI opponent and we went 3-8..yes injuries hurt but you prepare for that. 14 wins in 4 years. That is not going to get it done in the Big Sky, so that why I give him 1 year to impress or get canned. And by impress I mean at least 6 wins give us a shot at a playoff berth. If we end up like UNC...can him.

Me, I saw my first Sioux game in the mid 60's and have tried to make most of them since. Fortunately for Sioux football, UND and Coach Mussman (who I've never met) his status as UND's head coach doesn't matter what any of us on here thinks. There are adults who decide those type of things. But, I'm sure his job is safe, easily for a couple more years. He has had to lead UND football through a transition after a very good coach, and others on the staff left. He has also had to deal with the Sioux nickname situation as far as recruiting and scheduling.

I would agree it hasn't always been pretty, but I believe the worst thing that can happen to a college football program is a revolving door on the coaching staff. Stability matters. A few years back, many college football fans 75 miles to the south were calling for the head of a certain coach.......don't hear that much right now, do we? Did Bohl suddenly get smarter the last 2 years? I have to hope and trust that the people who actually decide these things are happy with the progress, all things considered. Recruiting over the last couple years, and now for 2012 are a good indication of things to come. Stability of staff is one thing we need going forward and to have a thread like this after an 8-3 season is kind of a sad statement about some Sioux fans. In my opinion anyway. Good things are on the horizon for UND football.

• Upvote 2

Muss is 14-19 vs DI teams (14-14 vs the FCS)...thats not impressive. Muss is 9-1 vs NON DI teams. 2010 we had only 1 game vs a non DI opponent and we went 3-8..yes injuries hurt but you prepare for that. 14 wins in 4 years. That is not going to get it done in the Big Sky, so that why I give him 1 year to impress or get canned. And by impress I mean at least 6 wins give us a shot at a playoff berth. If we end up like UNC...can him.

Mussman doesn't make the schedule (which in a five team league is a nightmare) Faison does. Mussman is a coach and has done a great job recruiting and getting his players to buy into the program (unlike those sub-par players he inherited). An back to the schedule, he has to do his best with what he's given. Last year was no different than what happened to NDSU two years ago and look at where they are now. Is anyone still calling for Bohl's head? No. Why not try and look at the transition process as a whole and look down the road to what he has set up with this year's successes? The thread shouldn't be Fire Muss it should be Extend Muss.

• Upvote 3

• 10 months later...

I stand true to my statement....after the first year let's evaluate, then fire him.

What bothers me about Mussman is that he just doesn't sound like a head coach who knows his team is going to go out and win. As a head coach, even if you have doubts you can not let them be known. The "keep it close and win in the fourth" noise I've heard more than once from him screams "I just hope we don't get blown out early." Don't kid yourself, his players hear his statements and that isn't good.

I'm going to say it: What would it take to lure Kalen DeBoer to UND. DeBoer has head coaching experience and FCS coordinator experience.

The how about a straight up trade, Mussman for DeBoer?

SIU would get Lennon Lennon's old OC back in Mussman.

UND would get a guy with head coaching experience (to a title level) and FCS experience (before his first FCS head job).

SIU's official page on DeBoer: http://www.siusalukis.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/deboer_kalen00.html

I found this interesting when searching DeBoer. He's produced a video on beating the 3-4 defense:

http://www.amazon.com/Kalen-DeBoer-Beating-3-Man-Front/dp/B00271IGMY