SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

What bothers me about Mussman is that he just doesn't sound like a head coach who knows his team is going to go out and win. As a head coach, even if you have doubts you can not let them be known. The "keep it close and win in the fourth" noise I've heard more than once from him screams "I just hope we don't get blown out early." Don't kid yourself, his players hear his statements and that isn't good.

Totally agree.

And on a side note...if he were to spend as much time game coaching as he does screwing around with his headset or running his hand thru his hair on the sideline, maybe games would turn out different. His antics on the sideline are that of a nervous 12 year old girl!

• Upvote 2

This may sound weird and maybe laughable but what about....Roger Thomas as coach? He turned a crappy team that Pat Behrns left after the 1985 season and took over the NCC in 1993 and with his recruits gave Dale Lennon the tools for a National Title in 2001. Just a thought for the day.

This may sound weird and maybe laughable but what about....Roger Thomas as coach? He turned a crappy team that Pat Behrns left after the 1985 season and took over the NCC in 1993 and with his recruits gave Dale Lennon the tools for a National Title in 2001. Just a thought for the day.

I have to assume that if RT still wanted to coach, he'd be coaching somewhere already. It's been 14 years since he last coached.

I wish we could could afford someone like Bobby Petrino (University of Arkansas), you know they're regretting the decision to sack him.

Um... no thanks. Petrino would abandon us in 1 year because once he showed a major program that he had no more issues and he would be gone. An FBS team would be desperate enough to hire him away if he showed that. I don't want his baggage and his circus around. The man can coach yes, but his off-the-field stuff throws too many red flags. He burned Louisville, he burned the Atlanta Falcons, and he burned Arkansas. UND should not be associated with this man.

I don't think they regret firing him (It was the right call, you cannot do what he did and keep your job, the amount of backlash and media scrutany would have been frustrated for the team and the coaching staff if he kept his job) as much as they much regret hiring John L. (Loser) Smith to replace him. IMO he should have just stayed at Weber and built that program instead of going into that pressure cooker of expectations that was Arkansas. Yes injuries have not helped, but they were thinking national title. That was a no win situation for him, and he will be given most if not all the blame (fair or not) for this year.

As for Muss, I might be in the minority in this but I feel he should get another year or 2. I want to see him coach some of the talent that has been redshirted for this and last year play before I made a full decision. Next year we get 7 home games, and the expectations should be risen after this year of making a run to the top half of the Big Sky and playoffs.

For his staff however, changes need to be made at the end of this year. The DC needs to be gone and some new blood needs to be brought in.

If we are going to play the who do I want game if Muss is fired? I would want Duluth's head coach. I know he is the AD there as well, but he is a very good football coach and he turned UMD from a doormat in the NSIC to the top of the mountain. I almost feel however it might have to be a Jerry Kill type move where he might want his entire staff with him.

• Upvote 1

Another thing that really bothers me is where was Muss when Hanson basically got speared and knocked out of the game. It was a blatant cheap shot but there was no direct emotion from Muss about the hit. I'm not advocating going postal but there was no outward concern or anger with the missed call whatsoever.

There was a huge story in ESPN Magazine a few weeks ago about concusions in football and how when the truth gets out it will bring down the popularity of the game. Story reported that there is no helmet or amount of padding that can protect a brain from the jarring impact of these hits. The hit on Hansen is an excellent example - it was blatent, intentional and unnecessary and there was an obvious attempt to land a hit that would cause an injury - their coach, team and fans celebrated it. The reality is that it is those kinds of hits that are causing long-term damage to players after they are done with their careers. UND should send a video copy of that hit to the conference commissioner for review and there definitely should have been some upset UND coaches and players on the sidelines which I did not see (but it did occur on the NAU side so perhaps they couldn't see how cheap a hit it was.) No excuse for the Zebras not calling a penalty on that hit.

I know someone who advocates taking all "hard plastic" out of football pads and mandating that all pads have to be made exclusively of cotton, wool, or Kevlar fabric. Helmets would become more like hockey helmets (more to protect your head when your fall, less as a solid projectile weapon).

Another thing that really bothers me is where was Muss when Hanson basically got speared and knocked out of the game. It was a blatant cheap shot but there was no direct emotion from Muss about the hit. I'm not advocating going postal but there was no outward concern or anger with the missed call whatsoever.

That bothered me a lot. How does he not get upset or outraged over that hit? If Mussman didn't see it (I don't know how he couldn't) the coaching staff has to get upset over that hit, but there was nothing from the UND sideline.

On the opposite side, the NAU coach was whining to the officials all game long...it was comical at times.

For those as interested in UND football history as I am, there are some parallels between the Pat Behrns and Chris Mussman eras. Both were promoted when extremely popular coaches left for higher-paying gigs. Both had ups and downs in their first four or five seasons, before seemingly having breakthrough 8-3 seasons. In the following season for Behrns, UND went 3-8 and he was let go. I don't really think UND will finish this season 3-8, although obviously it's not completely out of the question given the defensive struggles, which may actually get worse given all the injuries.

I also heard he kicks stray dogs!!

If we are going to play the who do I want game if Muss is fired? I would want Duluth's head coach. I know he is the AD there as well, but he is a very good football coach and he turned UMD from a doormat in the NSIC to the top of the mountain.

+1

If we are going to play the who do I want game if Muss is fired? I would want Duluth's head coach. I know he is the AD there as well, but he is a very good football coach and he turned UMD from a doormat in the NSIC to the top of the mountain. I almost feel however it might have to be a Jerry Kill type move where he might want his entire staff with him.

Actually it was Bubba who built that program and left quite a nice team behind

• 2 weeks later...

Time to fire up this thread again? I am getting very frustrated with Mussman coached teams. The last several years we have had undisciplined teams, have gone into games unprepared as evidenced by our first half scores, and are unable to make any kinds of adjustments at the half. Our best win this year is Montana which is having their worst year in probably 20 years. Yes, I'm a bit emotional after the pathetic display today, but we haven't come close to competing against any good teams this year. SUU just knocked off EWU. UNC knocked off NAU. Something needs to be done in the off season, whether it's the head coach or on the defensive side...this is just unacceptable.

Edit: I guess UNC lost to NAU, but only by three...

If we win the last two games I will be on the fence about firing him. If we lose the last 2...he should be out.

What has he done to earn another year? He's on OC at best at this level. He brought in a 5th year senior (FBS) transfer and has recruited a few wide receivers which has translated to a couple of wins this years. Outside of that he has been out coached much of the season and continues to say ridiculous comments to the media. At this point every other GWFC team that is now in the Big Sky is ahead of where UND is.

But we lost to "good teams".......which when said implies you are not.

Exactly. But even more alarming is we aren't competing with the "good teams." The team under Mussman's watch just have not looked good. Too many penalties, bad tackling...you can go on and on...

What ridiculous comments?

Comments such as "We were only a play or two from turning the game in our favor," or "we ran into a good football team" today. It may just be my observation, but he doesn't come across as a head coach when he's being interviewed or when he's on the sideline. He seems to lack the fire, intensity, and demand for respect that a good head coach should have. Again, maybe it's just my preference for what to look for in a head coach...