SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

First of all I think there's a place called Bisonswille for you su fans to post - there are at least a half dozen threads about UND on that site you can go post on - they've even got a special smak thread for the really poisonous and idiotic. I really can't figure out why you spend time on a site for a school that you are no longer a rival of - your inferiority complex screams everytime you post here - grow up and move on.

Second - do we really want to be one of "those schools" where the fans think they can run the decision making? Let's let everyone do their job, the administration, the coaches, the players and let's just be fans through thick and think. It's just ridiculous to start rants about firing coaches. Second guessing, arm chair quarterbacking is what fans do and that is fine, but good god what value do threads with "Fire _____ " bring to the discussion? It doesn't make the school look good, it doesn't help the players morale and it certainly has little impact on the decision making - no matter what you think.

Yes it was a very tough loss, we are still in transition - guess what - whether we go 11-0 or 3-8 the result at the end of the season will still be the same - one year closer to full DI status and one year more experienced. Going 10-0 or 9-1 would be fun but it has no impact on your future progress you can still go 3-8 when it really counts - that's been proven.

It's also been proven that when fans and fans board posting start ranting for coaches to be fired it does nothing for the good of the school. We all have high expectations for all UND teams based on history I'm guessing the administration, coaches and players do too. Let them take care of it. It's a game, it's for fun, they are student athletes, the coaches are dedicated and hard working.

Be a fan - but not "that kind of fan".

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

First of all I think there's a place called Bisonswille for you su fans to post - there are at least a half dozen threads about UND on that site you can go post on - they've even got a special smak thread for the really poisonous and idiotic. I really can't figure out why you spend time on a site for a school that you are no longer a rival of - your inferiority complex screams everytime you post here - grow up and move on.

Second - do we really want to be one of "those schools" where the fans think they can run the decision making? Let's let everyone do their job, the administration, the coaches, the players and let's just be fans through thick and think. It's just ridiculous to start rants about firing coaches. Second guessing, arm chair quarterbacking is what fans do and that is fine, but good god what value do threads with "Fire _____ " bring to the discussion? It doesn't make the school look good, it doesn't help the players morale and it certainly has little impact on the decision making - no matter what you think.

Yes it was a very tough loss, we are still in transition - guess what - whether we go 11-0 or 3-8 the result at the end of the season will still be the same - one year closer to full DI status and one year more experienced. Going 10-0 or 9-1 would be fun but it has no impact on your future progress you can still go 3-8 when it really counts - that's been proven.

It's also been proven that when fans and fans board posting start ranting for coaches to be fired it does nothing for the good of the school. We all have high expectations for all UND teams based on history I'm guessing the administration, coaches and players do too. Let them take care of it. It's a game, it's for fun, they are student athletes, the coaches are dedicated and hard working.

Unlike NDSU, the FB program is not the crown jewel of the athletic dept. at UND...hockey is. That aside, the UND FB program under Muss has made virtually no strides forward during the D1 transition and IMO that starts at the top with the head coach. UND at this point in it's D1 status should be on par with USD, but we are not. UND should also have better talent and teams than they had during the end of their D2 status, but they don't. Muss hires his staff and he and his staff are responsible for UND's current situation of it's FB program. Add to the fact that Muss is one of the worse gameday coaches I've witnessed and you have what you saw yesterday...a team marginal on D1 talent, but more evident, poorly prepared and coached.

As I posted earlier in this thread, Muss will get a minimum of 2 years in Big Sky play, but if UND only wins 1-3 conference games during those 2 years (which I see being the scenerio), he has to go at that point.

I'm going to Missoula this weekend to see some buddies and we have tickets to the Griz/EWU game Sat. Should be fun to see what UND is getting itself into next year.

"That kind of fan" isn't about going "toe to toe" anymore and isn't about moral victories. Duckies and bunnies need not apply either. UND FB "fans" should be getting more from their D1 FB program at this stage in the D1 process...period. They aren't and to me, Muss is the #1 reason.

Its not just winning and losing, its getting our @sses kicked and getting embarrassed. Since moving to DI we lost to Sioux Falls at HOME! Lost 45-0 to Idaho (yes Idaho!), and up 14-3 giving up 41 straight points..yes 41!!!! If we lost to Idaho 31-14 fine, or lost 28-0 fine, but Sioux Falls was inexcuseable. So we cannot use transition as an excuse, we need to win, or we become the UNC of the Big Sky. Right now we are the Morningside of the Great West.

might want to run that by that burgraff clown.

Sorry, but the Sioux were basically equally as ineffective in the 1st half as they were in the 2nd, save for those 2 big plays................out of 70. Other than that there was basically no difference between the Sioux performance in the first half compared to the second half. Except that the defense continued to get more and more tired as the game went on. Mussman seems to be taking a lot of heat, and perhaps rightfully so, but why is the OC Greg Breitbach getting a pass? He was the genious behind the pistol last year, and calls all the plays. Honestly though, I didn't have any problem with play calling today, just execution.........................

I have thought for the past few years that Mussman should be his own offensive coordinator, a la Steve Spurrier. It doesn't mean Breitbach should be fired, but I just think Mussman is a much better o-coordinator based upon past results.

Another thought--is there a compelling reason why Kotelnicki has been able to consistently put quality special teams on the field during the transition, but the offense and defense have mostly struggled? I mean, if there are circumstances, e.g. a lack of talent, which excuse in some people's minds the offensive and defensive struggles UND has experienced the past few years, shouldn't those same supposed handicaps similarly impact special teams? Or could it be that Kotelnicki has just done a much better coaching job than the coordinators? I don't know, I'm asking.

I still can't believe he didn't try to get anymore points before half. 3 timeouts gives you a chance to at least get a field goal. Things like that are simply not acceptable.

I just about quit watching the game at this point (and probably should've). We are playing "up" and should be playing like we have nothing to lose. This conservative crap is a joke. What message does taking a knee send to the players? Getting out scored 34-0 in the second half of a football game comes down to coaching plain and simple. Mussman is not a D1 coach and its time our athletic administration realizes this and we move on. Who can be excited to go watch Black Hills State come to town after this dismal performance.

D2 is different than when NDSU and even UND were in it. A lot of quality teams (sans GV St.) have been moving up. D2 includes Minot and Mary, hence it is irrelevant. UND has some work to do, whether thats fire Mussman or keep him, without a doubt, something needs to be done, I wouldn't make a big deal out of squandering a14-3 lead,

I am not sure why people are getting so excited, UND wasn't supposed to beat Idaho this past weekend and they not supposed to beat Fresno State next weekend, UND is in it's final year of a trainsition from DII to DI FCS, the team they lost to is a FBS team, which is a division above them. I would wait till the Sioux UND starts playing in the Big Sky before we start judging the football coach. It will be a lot easier for Muss to recruit talent once UND has a home for it's athletic teams.

Edited by Goon

First of all I think there's a place called Bisonswille for you su fans to post - there are at least a half dozen threads about UND on that site you can go post on - they've even got a special smak thread for the really poisonous and idiotic.

Seems like the Bison fans are worse than the Gopher fans, they sure spend a lot of time worrying about UND when they are obviously far superior. :silly::blush::lol:

I am not sure why people are getting so excited, UND wasn't supposed to beat Idaho this past weekend and they not supposed to beat Fresno State next weekend, UND is in it's final year of a trainsition from DII to DI FCS, the team they lost to is a FBS team, which is a division above them. I would wait till the Sioux UND starts playing in the Big Sky before we start judging the football coach. It will be a lot easier for Muss to recruit talent once UND has a home for it's athletic teams.

Exactly, recruiting in the early stages of Div I was difficult. Look at the first two classes since the transition to DI. These two classes should be driving the current team. Again, I am only looking at skill positions on offense because that is the area that the Sioux are the youngest.

2007 - First Year - Lennon - 27 total recruits

Only two starter at the skill positions on offense:

FB - Solum - Starter

WR - Anderson - Starter

Others:

QB - Goska

RB - Murray - no longer on the team.

WR - Carruth

WR - Daggett

WR - VanZee

2008 - Second Year - Lennon left during recruiting season - only 18 recruits that year.

Two starter at the skill positions on offense:

TE - Nichols

RB - Sutton

Others:

QB - Hendrickson

FB - Magstadt

WR - Bamba - no longer on the team.

WR - Heimler

In the last 3 years they have brought in: Hardin, McGill, Ivery, Townsend, Garmin and Bradley and I expect the classes to get better. I thought last years class was the best that we have seen since the start of DI. Everyone needs to give the team a chance to rebuild and make your judgements at the end of the season.

Give him more time? He's 16-18 (too lazy to look for sure). Look what South Dakota has done while in the same boat. They beat Minnesota last year and Eastern Washington already this year. I remember a time not so long ago when we would play South Dakota and our 2's and 3's would be putting it to them in the second half. Many alumni like me remember a football rich tradition where winning was expected now it seems we're grasping at excuses why we're not successful. I for one am tired of it. Go Sioux!

I gave some input and just mentioned which school I support, the fact that you get so upset is a bit odd. I don't think there is anything wrong with people calling for his head. Obviously he gets paid to coach a football team and I don't think it is unreasonable for people here to say that they expect more from him. It is proven that fans ranting for the coaches head does nothing good for the school? Hm, I am unaware, Did Cal-Berkeley or Harvard do a study on this? It isn't just for fun, the school would like to make some money on the football program, it is not for "fun."

Amongst the many reasons are such items as:

Getting our A's kicked by an NAIA school and not giving us anything to get the taste out of our mouths

Going from the best of the 4 Dakota schools to the worst

Making absolutely no coaching adjustments at any time and getting out-coached almost every game

Not playing to win

Consistently playing so loose in the secondary that a very average at best QB can complete 15 in a row on us. We'd rather give up 10 yards anytime our opponents want rather than taking a chance and maybe getting beat long

Crappy offensive play calling game in and game out

Ruining any home atmosphere we had

The constant recruiting whine - before the move it was "we can't compete with NDSU because they are division I" now its "we can't compete because we're in transition"

Giving us undisciplined play game in and game out

Not appearing to make any improvements to the program - every year it's the same old crap

Last - having the ugliest Sioux uniforms I can ever remember

• Upvote 1

I think we have talent, I just don't think the coaches are putting them in a position to win (except special teams). I don't buy the fact that we are losing simply because recruiting is hard to do in a transition. All you have to do is look at the team down in Vermillion to see that is blatantly false. Their recruiting has been just as difficult as ours, but somehow they have the ability to beat a BCS conference football team (even if it was just Minnesota), and now they've beaten one of the top teams in the FCS just a weak after that team proved it was capable of going toe to toe with a Pac 12 team. So I don't buy the crap that we don't have the talent or are unable to recruit the talent due to lack of conference or being in the transition. Mussman has been given so many breaks over and over throughout this transition. When does it become apparent that he's not the coach for this team?

Give him more time? He's 16-18 (too lazy to look for sure). Look what South Dakota has done while in the same boat. They beat Minnesota last year and Eastern Washington already this year. I remember a time not so long ago when we would play South Dakota and our 2's and 3's would be putting it to them in the second half. Many alumni like me remember a football rich tradition where winning was expected now it seems we're grasping at excuses why we're not successful. I for one am tired of it. Go Sioux!

If you want to compare then it would be look at Dale's last two classes vs. Ed - because USD has a Senior dominated team with only WR Will Powell, a TE and lineman that are not seniors and they are juniors, The Sioux are playing with underclassman at the skill positions and a QB who has played two games and has been in the program for less than a year. I have already stated take a look at the end of the year. Am I happy about the football game yesterday - NO. But, I recognize that Mussman was given the thankless task of taking over a program that was in the middle of transition and having to rebuild a team that was in decline when Dale left. I see some talent on the field right now - Bradley looks better than I thought. This team is going to improve throughout the season. They will be a much better team than they are now. I find the fire Mussman talk frustrating.

If you want to compare then it would be look at Dale's last two classes vs. Ed - because USD has a Senior dominated team with only WR Will Powell, a TE and lineman that are not seniors and they are juniors, The Sioux are playing with underclassman at the skill positions and a QB who has played two games and has been in the program for less than a year. I have already stated take a look at the end of the year. Am I happy about the football game yesterday - NO. But, I recognize that Mussman was given the thankless task of taking over a program that was in the middle of transition and having to rebuild a team that was in decline when Dale left. I see some talent on the field right now - Bradley looks better than I thought. This team is going to improve throughout the season. They will be a much better team than they are now. I find the fire Mussman talk frustrating.

Couple of things--was it Lennon and staff's fault for a couple of lackluster recruiting classes, or was it Buning's for slashing the recruiting budget? As for USD, I believe Meierkort has managed to supplement his high school recruiting with a number of FBS/juco transfers. Not sure how many are playing key roles, but I know some are. Aside from adding Bradley last off-season, that is an area where UND has not had much success going back a number of years.

Amongst the many reasons are such items as:

Getting our A's kicked by an NAIA school and not giving us anything to get the taste out of our mouths

Going from the best of the 4 Dakota schools to the worst

Making absolutely no coaching adjustments at any time and getting out-coached almost every game

Not playing to win

Consistently playing so loose in the secondary that a very average at best QB can complete 15 in a row on us. We'd rather give up 10 yards anytime our opponents want rather than taking a chance and maybe getting beat long

Crappy offensive play calling game in and game out

Ruining any home atmosphere we had

The constant recruiting whine - before the move it was "we can't compete with NDSU because they are division I" now its "we can't compete because we're in transition"Giving us undisciplined play game in and game out

Not appearing to make any improvements to the program - every year it's the same old crap

Last - having the ugliest Sioux uniforms I can ever remember

Never heard that one before. In fact I'd argue that our last few classes have been as good as we've had and after having some time to relax after the game yesterday, we had some young players make some plays. It just wasn't consistent enough. Cummings and #69 (backup NG) on the d-line played ok yesterday. Some young LB's made plays. The problem was its just not consistent enough. Last year we got a few kids they were after as well and its been a little while since we won those head to head match ups. Just ask any of their fans, they'll tell you :D . Either way complain about the coaching on the field all you want, I think recruiting has improved the last few years.

This talk about transition makes me think we are exactly like SDSU and not USD. USD is more like NDSU beating a FBS team where SDSU has not, plus SDSU lost to DIII Wisconsin-LaCrosse. So lets look at what SDSU did during their transition (remember the first Dakota team to make the playoffs). 2004 6-5 (with 3 DII wins), 2005 6-5 (2 wins over a DII and DIII team) 2006 7-4 (win over DII, loss to DIII), and 2007 7-4 (full DI schedule). So in total 26-18 also 0-0 vs FBS teams. UND: 2008 6-4 (4 non DI wins) 2009 6-5 (win over DII, loss to Sioux Falls) 2010 3-8 (2 DII wins). 2011 1-1. UND's total 16-18 with a 0-4 FBS record. SDSU 6-1 vs DII and DIII opponents, UND 7-1 vs non DI opponents. Kinda similar but a little better. If UND loses FBS games fine, but if we drop DII games and can't win a conference game there is more to blame than transition. UND as of now has 10 FCS wins (15 if we win every one this year). SDSU had 20 in their 4 years.

I don't wish to compare UND to other schools and what they have or have not accomplished. I only know that as a Sioux fan, I am not satisfied with the performance of the UND's football team and really haven't been since Lennon left. I think Mussman has recruited some good kids over the last couple of years, but the coaching has failed them. i keep going back to what a casual spectator said at a game last year, when he said "What's wrong with your coach. He looks like he is coaching not to lose." The end of the first half yesterday was evidence of that. We need a coach who coaches to win and not one who coaches to compete and hopefully be close in the end.

I didn't get to see the whole game yesterday. I saw most of the first half and the 4th quarter. UND, quite simply, can't move the ball. The defense held pretty tough through the first half, but couldn't keep it up when the offense can't sustain anything.

Mussman is not a head coach. UND needs a head coach. One who knows how to exploit his opponent's weaknesses and instill a play to win philosophy to his players. Not a hey we were competitive for a half mentality.

Mussman must go. It has been said before, North Dakota should be looking at someone like this.

No thanks. He was the biggest pusher behind the scenes for going DI and then bailed when he got what he wanted. We need to be looking towards UMD for our next coach.

That would be a good avenue as well. He has done an outstanding job with Duluth.

Other Candidates:

~Bubba Schweigert

~Tim Tibesar

I say we follow NDSU and go after FBS coaches:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=2&SPID=22&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=1364518&Q_SEASON=2011

Tim Beck OC/QB-Nebraska

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=2&SPID=22&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=1354988&Q_SEASON=2011

Carl Pelini DC-Nebraska (Head Coach Bo Pelini's brother)

Following his one season with the Huskers, Pelini spent 2004 as the defensive coordinator and secondary coach at Minnesota State Mankato, under head coach Jeff Jamrog, a former Husker player and assistant coach. Pelini helped the Mavericks to a 6-5 record after a winless season the previous year.

After one season in Mankato, Pelini was hired to coach the defensive line at Ohio University. He played a vital role in helping the Bobcats turn around their football program, including a nine-win season and bowl game in 2006. Those marks were firsts for the school since the 1968 campaign. The Bobcat defense then continued the turnaround the following season, ranking in the top 30 nationally in scoring and total defense in 2007.

Pelini was the head coach at Fitch High School in Austintown, Ohio, from 2000 to 2002. Pelini rebuilt a program that had not had a winning season for eight years before his arrival, culminating with a 6-4 record in 2002. Pelini previously was the head coach and athletic director at Winnetonka High School in Kansas City, Mo., from 1996 to 2000, and also served as the defensive coordinator at Blue Valley High School in Overland Park, Kan

Couple of things--was it Lennon and staff's fault for a couple of lackluster recruiting classes, or was it Buning's for slashing the recruiting budget? As for USD, I believe Meierkort has managed to supplement his high school recruiting with a number of FBS/juco transfers. Not sure how many are playing key roles, but I know some are. Aside from adding Bradley last off-season, that is an area where UND has not had much success going back a number of years.

You raise a valid point with Buning.. I think he is the AD that signed the Idaho deal and I don't think that UND made much money playing those games. Mussman has been more active with transfers: Bradley, Daniels (LB) and I think a D Line this year from NDSc-W.

I don't wish to compare UND to other schools and what they have or have not accomplished. I only know that as a Sioux fan, I am not satisfied with the performance of the UND's football team and really haven't been since Lennon left. I think Mussman has recruited some good kids over the last couple of years, but the coaching has failed them. i keep going back to what a casual spectator said at a game last year, when he said "What's wrong with your coach. He looks like he is coaching not to lose." The end of the first half yesterday was evidence of that. We need a coach who coaches to win and not one who coaches to compete and hopefully be close in the end.

I didn't get to see the whole game yesterday. I saw most of the first half and the 4th quarter. UND, quite simply, can't move the ball. The defense held pretty tough through the first half, but couldn't keep it up when the offense can't sustain anything.

Mussman is not a head coach. UND needs a head coach. One who knows how to exploit his opponent's weaknesses and instill a play to win philosophy to his players. Not a hey we were competitive for a half mentality.

Mussman must go. It has been said before, North Dakota should be looking at someone like this.

Several things that people need to think about:

1) Last year UND switched to a no huddle offense and most of the reps and prep went to one QB. QB goes down and you have a backup that has little game experience plus a new offense. So, depending on the game you are talking about... it would be natural for the coach to limit the playbook and play conservative and win the game with Defense and Special Teams. I assume that you are talking about the Montana game. It nearly worked.

2) This year they are working with a young QB early in the season against a FBS team. Again you are not going to be able to run all your plays because the QB in new and many of the players he is working with are young also. I think that I saw 4 or 5 dropped balls yesterday. Many times it was a matter of the timing be slightly off or the receivers not being prepared to catch the ball. It takes time to build the chemistry.

1) Last year UND switched to a no huddle offense and most of the reps and prep went to one QB. QB goes down and you have a backup that has little game experience plus a new offense. So, depending on the game you are talking about... it would be natural for the coach to limit the playbook and play conservative and win the game with Defense and Special Teams. I assume that you are talking about the Montana game. It nearly worked.

2) This year they are working with a young QB early in the season against a FBS team. Again you are not going to be able to run all your plays because the QB in new and many of the players he is working with are young also. I think that I saw 4 or 5 dropped balls yesterday. Many times it was a matter of the timing be slightly off or the receivers not being prepared to catch the ball. It takes time to build the chemistry.

I don't really like responding on this thread with my dissatisfaction, but I will say that when the transition is so critical and the learning curve great in moving up to the next level, a failed experiment that the coaches didn't think all the way through is something "that is on us" as Mussman so often likes to reference. How much that sets us back will be determined by the rest of this season and the first year in the Big Sky. Suffice it to say, I hope that what they are doing now isn't throwing something to the wall and hoping it sticks, I hope there is a plan for the offense and defense based on the talent they have and the talent they hope to recruit in the future.

UND switched? That's ultimately on the head coach.