SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Team looked disorganized at times. No excuse. Still tooo many penalties, lack or discipline, no excuse. Kids either don't know assignments or just flat our are making mistakes. Occasionally a receiver will be wide open, but three or four times in one game??? Twice D-backs came up to make a tackle and backed off. I have never seent hat before at UND.

Once game has been decided, you get other kids in there. Why didn't they get Sparks in?? Why didn't they get Varner in the last two games so he could play in front of Montana fans? Why didn't they get any back up linebackers in. See what they can do in a game situation cuz when you get your ass run over by a smaller RB when you have a clean shot at him then someone else can miss tackles as well as you can. When you don't get the others kids in during these games they will be disgruntled and when kids are disgruntled when you are losing you will have problems. Coaches who don't understand the psycholgy of coaching make those mistakes. It won't win the game but it sends a message to those who aren't getting the job and to those who are on the sidelines convinced they can do better that they will get a shot. Receivers lack some fundamentals despite their talent. Gollady needs to go after the damn ball even if it isn't a perfect throw. I was disappointed in a couple of throws that he didn't adjust his route to go after the ball. Can't believe receivers are still dropping passes. Basic fundamental is you look the ball into your hands, make the catch and anything else is "gravy".

I am not convinced our talent level is that far off, but how can one argue when we have played so poorly. There are signs of "life" but we can't sustain that. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you are but if you are in position to make a tackle and don't then it comes down to who you are and your own character. The other thing that someone should do is tell our damn D-backs that when you are getting your ass kicked you shut the hell up and try and play better rather than trash talk.

Detroit Lakes played in EGF friday and I didn't see any UND coaches. We have a 6' 3" 255 lb D-end who runs a 4.85 40. He might be a MLB at the college level or a D- end. UND hasn't even bothered talking to him. The other tackle D-linemean is 6' 2" 270 lb kid who dominates at this level. The Ag school talks to him and our QB weekly but our coaching staff doesn't think they can play. Wonder who is correct. This will be the first time in 22 yrs we will lose our hold on the DL kids. They only way we will win recruiting battles is to ourwork the other schools and we are getting out worked. I asked one of our coaches at the end of July why they weren't talking to our kids in DL and he didn't know which coach had our area for recruiting. The other problem this creates is that we ahve a 285lb Soph lineman who might be our best kid. Although our center may not be a D1 FCS level kid he is 6' 5" and weighs 265 lbs.

If our former UND players are doign their job they won't let these things happen. The Heag (sp?) kid who starts for the Bison at tackle the last 2 years walked on there. One of the Brainerd coaches who played at UND couldn't get UND to scholarship him. He will have a shot at an NFL career. Not sure what the hell these guys are thinking some times but pissing off area coaches and alumni won't get you any support when Faison has to make a decsion. Too many red flags for me to have confidence in these guys right now.

I too agree with your extremely accurate assessment. I have talked to several area coaches and it seems like many coaches are very put off by the UND staff as far as recruiting goes. Certainly, some small towns don't have any DI prospects every year, but goodwill goes a long way - coaches talk and network. In addition, we are losing the fan battle in the area. It used to be that most towns in the area were very pro Sioux, with a smaller but vocal contingent of Bison fans. Check now - almost all you see is Bison stuff - part of that is winning, but another part is the lack of goodwill our coaches have created. It is one thing to miss an area recruit or two, but this seems part of a planned out philosophy. A little good will in the area would go a long way.

I think the bottom line is that UND needs more hard-nosed players that hate to lose. I see way too many times when a defensive player gets blocked he just goes with the flow instead of trying to fight and at least slow the runner down with an effort at an arm tackle. I think one thing about NDSU is they show they do things the professional way and you can tell they don't like losing, nor making excuses. When the coach is making excuses, the players will follow suit and it is an easy out for them. If indeed the Sioux linebackers are not as a whole anywhere near where they have to be at this level, then why do they persist on staying with the 3-4 defense. Don't know if they've had the linebackers to do this for a few years now. I think you can tell by some of the non-chronic compainers voicing their displeasure, that this is starting to go south very fast.

I think the bottom line is that UND needs more hard-nosed players that hate to lose. I see way too many times when a defensive player gets blocked he just goes with the flow instead of trying to fight and at least slow the runner down with an effort at an arm tackle. I think one thing about NDSU is they show they do things the professional way and you can tell they don't like losing, nor making excuses. When the coach is making excuses, the players will follow suit and it is an easy out for them. If indeed the Sioux linebackers are not as a whole anywhere near where they have to be at this level, then why do they persist on staying with the 3-4 defense. Don't know if they've had the linebackers to do this for a few years now. I think you can tell by some of the non-chronic compainers voicing their displeasure, that this is starting to go south very fast.

It is a problem that the defense catches blockers instead of blowing them up. The DBs don't ever got off of blocks other than Darryl Brown. Same goes for the LBs and most DL. Edwards gets off blocks and moves people but other than him it's a whole lot of patty cake being played.

Team looked disorganized at times. No excuse. Still tooo many penalties, lack or discipline, no excuse. Kids either don't know assignments or just flat our are making mistakes.

I've noticed quite a few times this year that a kid will take a dumb penalty, not be assignment sharp, make a mistake, etc, etc & they will go off to the sideline & there is no position coach or anybody on staff there to chew their ass or coach them up. Total lack of accountability from the staff.

I too agree with your extremely accurate assessment. I have talked to several area coaches and it seems like many coaches are very put off by the UND staff as far as recruiting goes. Certainly, some small towns don't have any DI prospects every year, but goodwill goes a long way - coaches talk and network. In addition, we are losing the fan battle in the area. It used to be that most towns in the area were very pro Sioux, with a smaller but vocal contingent of Bison fans. Check now - almost all you see is Bison stuff - part of that is winning, but another part is the lack of goodwill our coaches have created. It is one thing to miss an area recruit or two, but this seems part of a planned out philosophy. A little good will in the area would go a long way.

This is pretty sad if true and shows just how much work will have to be put in by the new coaching staff. I read somewhere, probably bville, that coach Bohl visits every ND High School at some point during the year. We can make fun of his speeding tickets in trying to do so all we want, but that's the kind of dedication, networking, and work ethic our staff seem to be missing.

Mussman still has a job right now? <facepalm>

Please tell me that there is no other option and Faison is just running out the clock (letting this season go); however, if that's the plan there'd better be an announcement with two weeks left in the season that Mussman is not returning so we have any hope at finding a good replacement and getting some recruits.

The paper bag is better than boycotting the program....I sat through both of the Montana games, every last second. And will be there every second of every game the rest of the season too! I might not be enjoying it but I will be there!

Cause when UND is at the top again it will feel that much sweeter.

Wear two for me, because I'm not driving 5 hours for that product anymore.

Please tell me that there is no other option and Faison is just running out the clock (letting this season go); however, if that's the plan there'd better be an announcement with two weeks left in the season that Mussman is not returning so we have any hope at finding a good replacement and getting some recruits.

Silence is not necessarily golden for the Mussman regime. I think if Faison was standing by Mussman, he would have put out a press release this morning saying that. I think he has decided to keep things under wraps until the season is over.

This almost has to be the explanation--Faison doesn't think there are any viable options for interim coach. I still wouldn't bet on Muss coaching all 11 games this season, though. A loss to ISU, particularly if it's not even close, may be the last straw. And if not, a mostly empty Alerus for homecoming probably would be.

I was there again Saturday and made it to the last minute before I left. I have never been much of a 'fire the coach' guy but it is time. A friend of mine who is from the Twin Cities and has coached at a very high level made said Saturday after the game - "It was very hard to watch kids not wanting to play." That kind of says it all.

SAC airport after the Davis game will have to do then....

I think that is likely, but what worries me is what happens if the team takes care of business against the lower tier of the conference and the team finishes 5-6? I doubt Faison pulls the trigger.

Someone said Faison was telling the players to quit screwing around on the sidelines, if he had to do that himself I don't see how he can feel any other way than Mussman has lost control of the team, and I would bet a lot of money he is a dead man walking.

Whether he gets the hook now or 30 seconds after the last game is the only question, but the more important question to me is "When can we start talking to current coaches about the position?", because the day before that is "legal" should be the last day of his employment.

Does anybody know the rule?

I think that is likely, but what worries me is what happens if the team takes care of business against the lower tier of the conference and the team finishes 5-6? I doubt Faison pulls the trigger.

Alerus will be a ghost-town after EWU...that will force Faison's hand.