SiouxSports.com Forum

coaches

siouxfbfan

That'll happen when you max out your bonuses.

Who pays their coaches the most though? I wouldn't be surprised to see the top ten in pay be perennial playoff teams.

bohl gets a 3% cut of all ticket sales, in addition to somewhere a little north of 200k base, plus incentives and media deals (most recently reported as 60k/year. Bohl made around 400k last year (200k + 60 media + 100k tickets + 50k incentives/bonuses). I want to say Farley at UNI was over 400k as well, but that is really stretching the memory.

Hmm, I would've thought he'd end up someplace better than UMary after the NCC died.... but maybe he was looking for a less stressful position. I wouldn't blame him, at 65 he should be retiring within the next 5 years anyways.

It's a private Catholic university with lots of supporters - it's probably a great job when you are ready to slow down - if you've never lived in Bismarck it's easy to diss it, but it's not a nice midwestern town.

bohl gets a 3% cut of all ticket sales, in addition to somewhere a little north of 200k base, plus incentives and media deals (most recently reported as 60k/year. Bohl made around 400k last year (200k + 60 media + 100k tickets + 50k incentives/bonuses). I want to say Farley at UNI was over 400k as well, but that is really stretching the memory.

No wonder he didn't want half the team kicked off early in the season - that's gonna hurt ticket sales.

It's a private Catholic university with lots of supporters - it's probably a great job when you are ready to slow down - if you've never lived in Bismarck it's easy to diss it, but it's not a nice midwestern town.

Not a nice midwestern town??? Bismarck is a great town! Robust economy, great schools,Missouri River sandbars in the summer, great hunting and fishing nearby, Big lake up the road that i can't spell. Decent paying jobs especially higher paying blue collar jobs. U of Mary and Bismarck State in town, Civic Center brings in entertainment. People still have a good work ethic and crime is low. Winter is winter but if you don't like it move further south and you lose some of the advantages.

• Upvote 1

It's a private Catholic university with lots of supporters - it's probably a great job when you are ready to slow down - if you've never lived in Bismarck it's easy to diss it, but it's a nice midwestern town.

I know what UMary is and I agree it'd be a good place to go once you're ready to slow down (as is the rest of Bismarck). Perhaps that's why Roger Thomas ended up there, I just thought he would've ended up someplace bigger (perhaps better was a poor word choice earlier). I have lived in Bismarck.

I am in favor of across the board raises in salary for almost all coaches. We expect excellence and should be willing to pay for it. Revenue will increase if we start winning more.

I am also in favor of setting performance goals. All programs right now have plusses and minuses and room to improve. I am worried that we have seen a subtle but steady lowering of expectations. The nickname is settled, we have a great conference, and the transition is done. No more excuses. Time to shoot pool, Fast Eddie.

First of all, raises for all coaches across the board would be asinine. The answer to raising pay to a competitive level is to give raises to coaches when they've earned them and to offer a competitive salary to new hires. Raising salaries is a gradual process. It's not as simple as a giving everyone a raise so our salary numbers look like the rest of the Dakota schools.

Secondly, do you honestly think the coaching staffs and administrators aren't setting performance goals? What exactly do think Faison and Mussman have been doing? Running it like a Madden Franchise?

• Upvote 3

Not a nice midwestern town??? Bismarck is a great town! Robust economy, great schools,Missouri River sandbars in the summer, great hunting and fishing nearby, Big lake up the road that i can't spell. Decent paying jobs especially higher paying blue collar jobs. U of Mary and Bismarck State in town, Civic Center brings in entertainment. People still have a good work ethic and crime is low. Winter is winter but if you don't like it move further south and you lose some of the advantages.

Sorry what I meant to say was "a nice midwestern town" I lived there 11 years and really hated to leave. You wouldn't believe how often I have to defend North Dakota and its cities as nice midwestern towns.
  • Upvote 1

The women's hockey coach being the second highest paid coach on campus is indefensible IMO. It's mind boggling to me. What's the upside, an extra 50 fans per game?

I agree.

But also have to remember that the current UND administration didn't hire Idalski, Jones, or Mussman. Idalski and Jones were Buning guys, and Mussman was hired as an in-house guy by Steve Brekke.

Hardee is the only coach that Faison has hired that I think we can grade to this point. And I'd say he's done well and is paid well.

Not sure I'd say Jones or Mussman have earned significant raises to this point.

I really wonder Brewster's salary is. He is another guy promoted from within, and was a logical choice. But not sure he is worth Roebuck's $110,000 salary. At the same time, I think he is worth more than the $113,000 NDSU is apparently paying Dehoff. That to me is a major red flag that Dehoff was paid more than Roebuck. But again, I believe Roebuck recieved a hefty raise shortly after Faison was hired.

... Missouri River sandbars in the summer, ... Big lake up the road that i can't spell.

I spell it "lake behind Garrison Dam". :D

Actually it's the "lake behind the Oahe Dam", located at Pierre :)

The lake behind the Garrison Dam runs to the Montana border

When he said "up the road" and referenced what is in Bismarck as the "Missouri River", he must be referencing "the lake behind Garrison Dam." :)

Kotelnicki would seem to be the logical choice: currently running the special teams, currently running the linebackers (in a linebacker-centric defense).

Then you promote Schleussner to special teams coordinator.

Those are my predictions.

Well, I'm claiming "winner, winner, chicken dinner!" We'll see if I can claim it twice.

Kotelnicki elevated to defensive coordinator