SiouxSports.com Forum

coaches

siouxfbfan

Having met Luke this past year I believe he is going to be a very successful coach. I'm very excited for what he is going to help UND accomplish in the next few years. I will say that since my time as a player the coaches who I thought were in most need of replacement have been. Very excited for things to come.

• Upvote 1

Could Greg Breitbach be part of the reason Demler and Comes didn't last here? I saw Trey Demler tweet: "@BennyHenson69 breitbach gone!? SIGN ME UP!" It's hard to tell what he means by that but I just found it interesting. Unfortunately Ben Henson's account is blocked so I can't see what Demler was responding to.

Meh...............

I was never much of a Breitbach-lover, but the highly touted Demler couldn't even beat out the disaster that was Joey Bradley. Methinks the cases of both Demler and Comes were just not great fits for either kid or for the program. They were probably both over-hyped by us and the media for the talent they possessed. Watching practices, I always felt Comes looked better than Demler, but neither of them ever put a twinkle in my eye. And neither apparently impressed the coaching staff all that much, or they wouldn't have both washed out after two seasons here.

Having met Luke this past year I believe he is going to be a very successful coach. I'm very excited for what he is going to help UND accomplish in the next few years. I will say that since my time as a player the coaches who I thought were in most need of replacement have been. Very excited for things to come.

Seems like he is an up-and-comer. I'm excited about both him and Kotelnicki. Kotelnicki has done a good job everywhere he has been from DII, to FBS, to FCS.

Seems like he is an up-and-comer. I'm excited about both him and Kotelnicki. Kotelnicki has done a good job everywhere he has been from DII, to FBS, to FCS.

Now when these two guys have success (i'm optimistic here) at their new roles we need to make sure that they get paid accordingly so that they stay. We need to keep them around.

I'm thinking if Muss doesn't get us to the Promised Land, ie, the Playoffs, he should and will be gone. He really has nothing to hang his hat on as far as signature wins in the D1 era. Our biggest D1 win happened when we were D2, beating UNI.

Playoffs or bust? Don't neccessarily agree with that but do agree he has done nothing in the D1 era so far that screams he can flat out coach. Playoffs this year would be great. Anything less than 7-4 will be unacceptable IMO when you take into account the schedule. And if we have a couple woodshed beatings like last year, that will be extremely disappointing.

A 6-5 season or worse should be reason enough for a head coaching change though.

Playoffs or bust? Don't neccessarily agree with that but do agree he has done nothing in the D1 era so far that screams he can flat out coach. Playoffs this year would be great. Anything less than 7-4 will be unacceptable IMO when you take into account the schedule. And if we have a couple woodshed beatings like last year, that will be extremely disappointing.

A 6-5 season or worse should be reason enough for a head coaching change though.

He's got two years to make a big splash, not just a little blip on the radar. We also have a future head coach type in kotelnicki on staff that could step up and keep a lot of the other coaches intact.

He's got two years to make a big splash, not just a little blip on the radar. We also have a future head coach type in kotelnicki on staff that could step up and keep a lot of the other coaches intact.

Really that's what you would want? As a AD you wouldn't go out and get the best coach available and let him bring in his own staff?

We have another season like last year and I'm not sure I would want anyone back.

If this season tanks and they let Muss go, I'm pretty sure they look nationally for the best candidate. I can't think of too many programs that fire the HC and promote one of the assistants. Most ADs look at the staff a a reflection of the HC = diseased. Anything less than 7-4 and the staff will be getting calls from Century21. If I were any of the new hires, I would be in a rental property.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.grandfork...group/homepage/

2 new assistant coaches, don't know if it's already been posted elsewhere or not.

Former Minnesota State assistant Mike Cunningham will coach UND's offensive line. Former Montana Western assistant Jason Their will coach the outside linebackers.

Edit: Longer article @ http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/265399/group/homepage/

http://www.grandfork...group/homepage/

2 new assistant coaches, don't know if it's already been posted elsewhere or not.

Edit: Longer article @ http://www.grandfork...group/homepage/

We are just filling our coaching staff now? And with D2 coaches even?? Good grief, Muss better get it together! I like the Cunningham pick but come on man this should have been done months ago.

We are just filling our coaching staff now? And with D2 coaches even?? Good grief, Muss better get it together! I like the Cunningham pick but come on man this should have been done months ago.

I don't think you are going to find many FBS or FCS coaches that are interested in moving to take on a position coach role. The D-2 part of it isn't all that concerning. Both guys are also pretty young. UND's staff has a handful of younger coaches who likely feel like they have something to prove.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you are going to find many FBS or FCS coaches that are interested in moving to take on a position coach role. The D-2 part of it isn't all that concerning. Both guys are also pretty young. UND's staff has a handful of younger coaches who likely feel like they have something to prove.

This is a good thing. Hard work often pays off.

Do you have a specific time table when coaches are to be hired? I think I read recently that Cal Poly just hired a couple of coaches as well.

You never know where the next great coach may come from. I remember a few years back when the New Orleans Saints were coming off a dismal 3-13 season and the Saints hired a QB coach from Dallas to take the reigns. I had never even heard of the guy. Within 4 years of the hire of Sean Payton, the Saints won the Super Bowl.