SiouxSports.com Forum

coaches

siouxfbfan

I think Muss deserves to show us what he can do with non-transition recruiting classes. Guys like Mollberg, Edwards, Golloday, Robertson, Stockwell, and Carr are guys we didn't have a chance at during the transition. Now that Muss is playing with a full deck I want to see what he can do. Starting with a freshman quarterback isn't ideal so I won't be calling for his head if he simply matches last year's record but I want to see steady improvement throughout the Mollberg/Bartels era. IMO he has until this year's redshirt freshman graduate to get to the top of the Big Sky and to the point where we are regularly in the playoffs. If we're still a middling Big Sky team at that point, then we make a change.

Wow, that's a pretty long time to prove himself and get things done. I worry about a lost decade or more if we don't get things going (which I think we will). In addition to record I think how we look will be pretty important to the fan base. If we get blown out on the line on both sides of the ball and tackle like we did last year I think we can expect quite a bit of grumbling. I think we have the talent to have a very good season, but I feel this is a make or break year for the coaches - we need to show that we can compete with the best talent in the league and not lay down like last year. I am cautiously optomistic.

I hear ya. I would like to keep my hopes down... what without knowing if we have defense and running game improvement and plus a freshman QB, but golly, this team better get its act together and win!

The offense will be fine, the defense needs to step up. Last year was an embarrassment!

I think anything worse than 6-5 would be disappointing. I think 7 wins is an attainable goal. As long as we see some improvement by the defense this year and the offense improve throughout the year, I'll be happy (in addition to a winning record).

While the name of the game is to win, Mussman may retain his job with a 5-6 or 6-5 record IF:

• we play good, disciplined ball - unlike some games of the last couple of years.
  • we are competitive in all games and simply get beat by a better team (quite possible).
  • the coaching staff makes good decisions and stays away from some of the less-than-good decisions made the last couple of years.
  • we are able to get more fans in the stands.

Next years schedule might be the best we will see for years. 7 home games is awesome but to have all of those against your toughest teams is a massive advantage. Those roads games aren't easy but Idaho st is as close to an easy road game as it gets. A winning record is a must and playoffs should almost be expected due to the schdule advantage.

I'm hopeful about making the playoffs, but it is hard for me to expect it coming into this year given what I saw from the defense last season and the fact that there will be a freshman QB at the steering wheel.

If we make the playoffs in 2013, Mussman would be deserving of Coach of the Year honors in the Big Sky...........

• Upvote 2

While the name of the game is to win, Mussman may retain his job with a 5-6 or 6-5 record IF:

• we play good, disciplined ball - unlike some games of the last couple of years.
  • we are competitive in all games and simply get beat by a better team (quite possible).
  • the coaching staff makes good decisions and stays away from some of the less-than-good decisions made the last couple of years.
  • we are able to get more fans in the stands.

I'm thinking if Muss doesn't get us to the Promised Land, ie, the Playoffs, he should and will be gone. He really has nothing to hang his hat on as far as signature wins in the D1 era. Our biggest D1 win happened when we were D2, beating UNI.

I look for an improvement this year, hopefully the improvement goes far enough to fulfill my dreams.

So if we make the playoffs Mussman should be coach of the year, and if we don't he should be fired. It's settled. :)

He would get coach of the year most likely since it'd be done with a freshman qb. I think it would take a pretty bad season for him to get fired though. Faison seems to understand that the team is on the rise and has a fr qb. If the next two seasons are not good then there should be a new coach but I don't see that happening. It seems like the team is on the rise and deapth is building which is huge.

He would get coach of the year most likely since it'd be done with a freshman qb. I think it would take a pretty bad season for him to get fired though. Faison seems to understand that the team is on the rise and has a fr qb. If the next two seasons are not good then there should be a new coach but I don't see that happening. It seems like the team is on the rise and deapth is building which is huge.

Who was the last freshman QB to lead UND into the playoffs? I am thinking Kevin Klancher but he didn't start all 11 games in 1994.

Who was the last freshman QB to lead UND into the playoffs? I am thinking Kevin Klancher but he didn't start all 11 games in 1994.

Besides Klancher starting a few games when Wagner was injured, I'm not aware of a freshman starting at quarterback at UND, period.

• 4 weeks later...

Could Greg Breitbach be part of the reason Demler and Comes didn't last here? I saw Trey Demler tweet: "@BennyHenson69 breitbach gone!? SIGN ME UP!" It's hard to tell what he means by that but I just found it interesting. Unfortunately Ben Henson's account is blocked so I can't see what Demler was responding to.

Could Greg Breitbach be part of the reason Demler and Comes didn't last here? I saw Trey Demler tweet: "@BennyHenson69 breitbach gone!? SIGN ME UP!" It's hard to tell what he means by that but I just found it interesting. Unfortunately Ben Henson's account is blocked so I can't see what Demler was responding to.

That is interesting for sure. I have to admit that I have had my doubts about him and this little tid bit makes me think I wasn't too far off.

I wouldn't say that based off of one players tweet. Especially a player who ended up leaving the team. Some people just don't get along or have the same personalities. I would venture that he saw where he was on the depth chart and realized that he had a difficult battle ahead of him. Having been in that spot I know the coaches push you hard. Unlike him I stuck around and earned my spot

I wouldn't say that based off of one players tweet. Especially a player who ended up leaving the team. Some people just don't get along or have the same personalities. I would venture that he saw where he was on the depth chart and realized that he had a difficult battle ahead of him. Having been in that spot I know the coaches push you hard. Unlike him I stuck around and earned my spot

I have earned my spot in my time as well and I get how some players and coaches dont get along. However, I have had my doubts for a few years now and that tweet has nothing to do with that.