SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Specifics please...

A.) Financially they're on the ropes, year-in and year-out.

B.) No strong alumni support, financially or otherwise (nexus to point A above);

C.) Talked out of both sides of its mouth - "we wouldn't want to be a part of the NCHC, even if asked" vs. "Thanks! Where to we sign?";

D.) A campus environment that really and truly is racist (see neo-nazi groups/signs, etc.);

E.) Academic standards are about 5 notches below UND, DU, CC, etc.

F.) Commitment to funding hockey in the future tied to state budgetary in-fighting rather than alumni support. Because of its weak alumni support, SCSU is much more dependent on state funding than other schools, even other state schools like here in Mankato.

G.) History of members of student body being arrested in droves -- see October, 1986, among other dates.

Three reasons why SCSU is now part of the NCHC: A.) Gino; B.) Herb Brooks stated the program; C.) Motzko is a great coach who knows what he's doing. I would say that without reason A, reasons B and C would not have carried the day for admission to the NCHC.

• Upvote 2

SCSU hockey is always profitable. Never been an issue.

B.) No strong alumni support, financially or otherwise (nexus to point A above);

Athletic support is strong...the foundation support needs work.

C.) Talked out of both sides of its mouth - "we wouldn't want to be a part of the NCHC, even if asked" vs. "Thanks! Where to we sign?";

It's business. But the new conference shouldn't have been created in the first place.

D.) A campus environment that really and truly is racist (see neo-nazi groups/signs, etc.);

Idiotic point! The "Swastika Bandit" was some kid in the dorms who played a prank. What's that saying about glass houses and throwing stones? Don't deflect UND's issues on to other schools. BTW, sit by your student body at a football game...it will be an eye opener for you.

Untrue. I'll give you 1 notch

F.) Commitment to funding hockey in the future tied to state budgetary in-fighting rather than alumni support. Because of its weak alumni support, SCSU is much more dependent on state funding than other schools, even other state schools like here in Mankato.

Untrue.

G.) History of members of student body being arrested in droves -- see October, 1986, among other dates.

Untrue. It was 1988 and I was there...only a handful of students were arrested. What a stretch! :lol:

You are a desperate liar with Saigo-itis. Give it up kiddo.

You are a desperate liar with Saigo-itis. Give it up kiddo.

Well, we'll see how it plays out. I have a father in law who's been on the faculty there for years and the place is a mess in more ways than one. Good to see you referenced yet another low-point for massive arrests other than October, 1986 when a bunch of SCSU students rioted, basically, and tossed a couple of kegs of beer out of one of the top floors of one of the high rises. I went to St. John's and had friends at SCSU and was there. Bottom line is that SCSU is a terrible choice with no national championships and a paucity of post-season victories to its credit and the whole credibility of the conference went down a couple of notches with its admission. Gino better get a big bonus.

While Miami and Western Michigan are comitted to hockey......but what if they decide in 2018 that the travel is too much and leave the league?

Adding St. Cloud is an insurance policy to keep the Super League's numbers up to at least 6, plus it give UNO a closer travel partner. It's a good move, plus St. Cloud usally give the Sioux a good game.

Three reasons why SCSU is now part of the NCHC: A.) Gino; B.) Herb Brooks stated the program; C.) Motzko is a great coach who knows what he's doing. I would say that without reason A, reasons B and C would not have carried the day for admission to the NCHC.

Excellent synopsis!

Ok, now I know where you're coming from... "Behind the Pine Curtain". Did you know anyone on the "restricted list"?

Ahh, a timely paradigm of the SCSU perspective. Waxing poetic and saying so much with so few words about why the decision to admit SCSU is wrong in so many ways.

all this talk of ND having one of the largest fan bases is a little overrated as it doesn't really translate to hockey. I said this earlier in this thread the two frozen fours they have been a part in the last 4 fours they by far had the fewest fans of any team there, I didn't see them come to the ralph in droves last year either.

If you want hockey to gain popularity, schools like UND, UNO, Denver, and CC aren't going to do it for you. Its the Big Ten schools and Notre Dame who bring any new popularity hockey will gain.

If you want hockey to gain popularity, schools like UND, UNO, Denver, and CC aren't going to do it for you. Its the Big Ten schools and Notre Dame who bring any new popularity hockey will gain.

Last time I checked when teams host UND they charge a premium at the gate due to the demand for tickets. UND is easily one the most recognized and respected names in college hockey and will continue to gain national recognition as the the NCAA and NHL grow in the US. If UND wasn't in the NCHC Notre Dame would not be interested. I realize that the Big 10 and Notre Dame have big followings in sports other than hockey but it's still going to be a hard sell. I would rather have a legion of devoted fans (like we do at UND) than millions of fair weather fans who don't understand the game other than their favorite school is playing.

• Upvote 1

The point is if you want to have something worth selling on TV, it needs to have as broad of a possible audience as possible. Notre Dame brings far more potential than any current NCHC school and that is why they are a more attractive team for TV than more successful programs like ours. A devoted local following is nice but it doesn't mean much to a broadcasting company if that local following isn't very sizable.

• Upvote 1

Hockey at UB should be a Slam Dunk:

http://www.buffalone...ticle576160.ece

UB, Niagara and Canisius in the same conference would create terrific rivalries. Perhaps they could meet on a Saturday afternoon before a Sabres game in First Niagara Center. Or how about a college double-header in FNC when the Sabres are out of town that would include all three schools and a superpower such as ... Michigan?

But reports that UB has a donor appear to be premature:

Delaware North Cos. Chairman Jeremy Jacobs, also known as the owner of the Stanley Cup-winning Boston Bruins, refuted reports that he would be willing to fund UB's climb into D-I hockey the way Sabres owner Terry Pegula did last year with Penn State. Pegula dropped $88 million for men's and women's programs and a new arena.

OK, while it may not be accurate that Jacobs would completely finance UB's jump, nor should it be expected, it would be shocking if he wasn't involved in some form. Jacobs is deeply loyal to UB and has donated some $18 million to the school. My guess is he would contribute before turning his back on UB hockey. If anything, he would bring donors with him.

Meanwhile, the Bowling Green press is lambasting the idea of BGSU staying in a refurbished CCHA:

http://www.sent-trib...-for-bg-9-29-11

A new CCHA with UAH would offer schools in the Ohio Valley an opportunity to sponsor hockey. IMHO, BGSU would be much better off staying with schools closer to itself geographically.

A Buffalo blogger disagrees with the Bowling Green opinion piece, too:

http://www.ubbullrun...ribune-an-atlas

Last time I checked when teams host UND they charge a premium at the gate due to the demand for tickets. UND is easily one the most recognized and respected names in college hockey and will continue to gain national recognition as the the NCAA and NHL grow in the US. If UND wasn't in the NCHC Notre Dame would not be interested. I realize that the Big 10 and Notre Dame have big followings in sports other than hockey but it's still going to be a hard sell. I would rather have a legion of devoted fans (like we do at UND) than millions of fair weather fans who don't understand the game other than their favorite school is playing.

I think the NHL continuing to grow in the US is done (hence Atlanta moving to Winny, Phoenix barley hanging on). College hockey is a regional sport and always will be. How many college hockey teams are there south of the Mason Dixon line? ONE, and that one can't get into a conference . I'm sure Notre Dame repects UND as a hockey program but I don't believe it has anything to do with the decision whether to join the conference or not. There decsion will be about where they can make more money and nothing else.

Yes, Gino probably had a lot to do with it. But don't paly the Nazi racist thing.

See: Ralph Engalstadt

• Upvote 1

"We conducted a deliberate and exhaustive process that included consideration of adding more institutions. In the end, we determined it is in the best interest of the Conference to proceed with our eight outstanding programs." Brian Faison.

Well 7 outstanding programs and 1 questionable program. In my opinion the responsibility of growing the conference's visibility will rest primarily on the shoulders of North Dakota, Denver, and Miami.

NCHC moving on without Notre Dame

The NCHC is moving on without Notre Dame.

The league sent out a release this afternoon saying that it will start as an eight-team league in 2013-14.

Notre Dame has been negotiating with the NCHC, asking for significant advantages/benefits that the league’s athletic directors would not give to them.

Whether Notre Dame winds up going to Hockey East or holding out and waiting to see what happens with the Big East and its other athletic programs is up in the air.

Link: http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=88477

I haven't really been a fan of the NCHC brass but I absolutely respect the decision they've made. Didn't cave to the demands of Notre Dame. They may be a "name" or a "brand" but I'm glad the NCHC didn't accommodate these nose in the air *****s. It is apparent, ND wanted to be what Texas is to the Big XII but smaller and well, hockey.

I would've been mad about this if the NCHC didn't do anything about trying to get ND into the NCHC but it is obvious that Notre Dame bit off more than they could chew by asking for incentives that the NCHC is not willing to give them. So with that said, I'm fine with the teams in the NCHC. Sucks that ND isn't coming but with the stipulations they had, they can go to the Hockey East.

• Upvote 2

Tweets from College Hockey News:

Also here are some tweets by College Hockey News:

A little more on what we mean ... ND preferred NCHC ... neither side was willing to budge on what was important to them ... so ...

... ND was going to just go to HEA, and that would make it seem like that was their first choice ... NCHC doesn't want that impression ...

... instead, pre-emptively releases that they are the ones that decided ... which again, not the whole truth ... A PR game basically.

Link: http://twitter.com/#!/chnews

Talk about unfortunate that the NCHC and ND couldn't find some middle/common ground.

Tweets from College Hockey News:

Also here are some tweets by College Hockey News:

Link: http://twitter.com/#!/chnews

Talk about unfortunate that the NCHC and ND couldn't find some middle/common ground.

This could be a very very bad day for Notre Dame athletics if the Big East breaks up as some press members have suggested may happen today.

Highly unusual for a conference to issue a press release about staying at eight members.  Notre Dame must have really pissed off the NCHC ADs with unusual demands for the NCHC to do that.

This could be a very very bad day for Notre Dame athletics if the Big East breaks up as some press members have suggested may happen today.

Highly unusual for a conference to issue a press release about staying at eight members. Notre Dame must have really pissed off the NCHC ADs with unusual demands for the NCHC to do that.

Indeed, star2city. I'd really like to know what Notre Dame's stipulations were because they've must've been pretty egregious for the NCHC to make that press release. You'd have to think that the NCHC was willing to give Notre Dame some allowances or benefits to a degree. Yeah?