SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's New Hockey Conference

Cratter

Screw Notre Dame and their Decision. When did they become the Lebron James of college hockey? :) They better be careful what they wish for because if they do pick Hockey East and their fancy new TV deal, we can all watch how they fare against a steady diet of BC, BU, Maine, UNH, etc.

And DU, CC, Miami, Duluth, Omaha, not to mention North Dakota would be an easier schedule? :blink: Oh, yeah, there is St Cloud now...

Is it possible for the NCHC to retract it's invitation to St. Cloud if Notre Dame were to jump on board?

Let's hope that the NCHC hasn't cashed their admission check yet. It'll probably bounce anyway.

Since the rumors started swirling around that SCSU would be joining the NCHC, I have been waiting for them to pull a UNO and drop football, put that money towards hockey and announce they are moving the rest of their sports to the Summit League.

As far as ST. Cloud is concerned, I can't believe that the NCHC would have extended an invite if it would potentially chase Notre Dame from being interested. A person doesn't like to make assumptions but either Notre Dame indicated they were ok with WMU and St. Cloud and ND being 9 (or a mystery 10th team) or Notre Dame indicated they wouldn't be coming to the NCHC. There was no reason for the NCHC to rush to add more teams at this point, other than WMU who was sitting on a WCHA invitation. I just can't believe that the NCHC invited these two teams without some info on what ND might do or want. Then again, ND's AD was quoted as wanting everyone to "just slow down" so who really knows for sure...

Let's hope that the NCHC hasn't cashed their admission check yet. It'll probably bounce anyway.

Since the rumors started swirling around that SCSU would be joining the NCHC, I have been waiting for them to pull a UNO and drop football, put that money towards hockey and announce they are moving the rest of their sports to the Summit League.

Bounce ... :huh::lol:

And yes, I almost expect SCSU to follow the UNO model.

DI basketball without football??? Bring it on!

Also can't see Notre Dame joining a league with St Cloud St, although stranger things have happened. (UMass-Lowell is probably close to being a St Cloud academically, but BC, BU, Providence, and even Merrimack have much more affinity to the Irish brand.)

Don't get it twisted. Notre Dame's brand and portfolio is far beyond ANY of the NCHC schools. The only thing UND has in common with ND is they both have good hockey programs.

Don't get it twisted. Notre Dame's brand and portfolio is far beyond ANY of the NCHC schools. The only thing UND has in common with ND is they both have good hockey programs.

Wrong, Notre Dame, UND, Denver, WMU, and Miami are all tier one universities with an emphasis on research and academic excellence. This why everyone is perplexed as to why St. Cloud got an invite.

And DU, CC, Miami, Duluth, Omaha, not to mention North Dakota would be an easier schedule? :blink: Oh, yeah, there is St Cloud now...

NCHC wouldn't be any easier but I wouldn't mind Hat Trick Jesus racking up thousands of frequent flyer miles just to play a single game, then bus to the next location for another game the following day...followed by another flight back to South Bend. Hockey East doesn't do a lot of two game series so it would be interesting to see how the league would accommodate them.

• Upvote 1

NCHC wouldn't be any easier but I wouldn't mind Hat Trick Jesus racking up thousands of frequent flyer miles just to play a single game, then bus to the next location for another game the following day...followed by another flight back to South Bend. Hockey East doesn't do a lot of two game series so it would be interesting to see how the league would accommodate them.

Rumor is that RPI will be their partner in Hockey East. HE will probably set up a bit differently, with Friday/Sunday or Saturday/Monday games at ND and RPI to accommodate travel. Sunday and Monday games would also help provide extra broadcast days.

Wrong, Notre Dame, UND, Denver, WMU, and Miami are all tier one universities with an emphasis on research and academic excellence. This why everyone is perplexed as to why St. Cloud got an invite.

Wait a minute! Notre Dame is the 19th ranked university in the country. Sorry, but you are delusional about the station of NCHC schools. ND has more in common with the CCHA (Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio State) than the NCHC.

UND's hockey program is twice the hockey program of Notre Dames, they actually killed their program in the 1980's...

Some Miami Redhawk blogger has posted that Notre Dame & RPI will be joining the Hockey East Association.

Breaking: Notre Dame and RPI to Hockey East

Redskin Warriors has received an unconfirmed report that Notre Dame and RPI are moving to Hockey East in 2013.

Our source with credible access to the ongoing talks tells us the Irish will take their talents east, and along with the Engineers of RPI will become the 11th and 12th members respectively, of Hockey East. If true, it could also signal Notre Dame’s intent to join the ACC for all other sports as the rest of the collegiate athletic world undergoes the same sort of seismic shift as hockey. And, for certain it’s a coup for Hockey East to land the last remaining free agent gem in the Fighting Irish.

Link: http://redskinwarrio...to-hockey-east/

Guess we'll have to wait and see if this gets confirmed? That's too bad if true though it'd explain the early invites to St. Cloud and Western Michigan.

Some Miami Redhawk blogger has posted that Notre Dame & RPI will be joining the Hockey East Association.

<strong>Breaking: Notre Dame and RPI to Hockey East</strong>

<strong>Link:</strong> <a class="bbc_url" href="http://redskinwarriors.com/2011/09/27/breaking-notre-dame-and-rpi-to-hockey-east/" rel="nofollow external" title="External link">http://redskinwarrio...to-hockey-east/</a>

Guess we'll have to wait and see if this gets confirmed? That's too bad if true though it'd explain the early invites to St. Cloud and Western Michigan.

So RIT probably back fills RPI's spot in the ECAC, which also explains why RIT wasn't interested in joining the AHA-4 in going to a new CCHA.

Bowling Green may soon be the last member of the CCHA, so it and the AHA-4 may end up as owners of the CCHA name and autobid. Hopefully that happens - but Buffalo needs to start hockey and UAH needs to accept, too.

Wait a minute! Notre Dame is the 19th ranked university in the country. Sorry, but you are delusional about the station of NCHC schools. ND has more in common with the CCHA (Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio State) than the NCHC.

I'm delusional? There are 4,352 institutions of higher education in the US, DU is ranked 82, Miami is 90, UND is 164, and WMU is 181. Colorado College is ranked fairly high as a liberal arts college and UNO at least has a desirable media market. St. Cloud is the school bringing nothing to the table. You're right that the Big 10 is a better fit for them academically than the NCHC, but that is not an option unless they are willing to join for all sports and that is extremely unlikely.

.............I almost expect SCSU to follow the UNO model.

Personally to me, if St. Cloud ends up in the Summit, that would make it worth allowing their hockey program to join the NCHC............... ;)

• Upvote 1

I'm delusional? There are 4,352 institutions of higher education in the US, DU is ranked 82, Miami is 90, UND is 164, and WMU is 181. Colorado College is ranked fairly high as a liberal arts college and UNO at least has a desirable media market. St. Cloud is the school bringing nothing to the table. You're right that the Big 10 is a better fit for them academically than the NCHC, but that is not an option unless they are willing to join for all sports and that is extremely unlikely.

You people are comical. UND, UNO, UMD, Miami,.......Notre Dame...ok :silly: You should be slightly embarrassed.

Breaking: Notre Dame and RPI to Hockey East

Link: http://redskinwarrio...to-hockey-east/

This guy doesn't believe ND/RPI to HEA is a done deal yet. At least his "sources" "close to the situation" claim that no decision has been made by ND.

http://twitter.com/#!/mikemcmahonet

According to College Hockey News, Notre Dame has secured an independent television deal (regional, not national). It sounds like Hockey East is willing to appease Notre Dame by allowing it to run its own television deal, while the NCHC has shown some resistence.

http://www.collegeho...ion_not_the.php

Via Mike McMahon on twitter

If the NCHC won't budge on ND running its own TV, then the Irish will go to HEA. Basically, that's what it comes down to.

You people are comical. UND, UNO, UMD, Miami,.......Notre Dame...ok :silly: You should be slightly embarrassed.

UND, DU, Miami, WMU.......St Cloud, now can you tell me which one of these institutions is seriously out of place. It's bad enough your crap school made the cut into the NCHC but must you troll our boards?

UND, DU, Miami, WMU.......St Cloud, now can you tell me which one of these institutions is seriously out of place. It's bad enough your crap school made the cut into the NCHC but must you troll our boards?

Subjective magazine ranking are irrelevant. Academically speaking, the NCHC is not the Big Ten or even the old CCHA. School rankings had anything to do with the creation of the NCHC. Look, UND is a good school. But ND would not go out of their way to be associated with UND, SCSU, UMD, UNO, DU, CC, MU, or WMU. The new conference is (and should be) about increasing revenue. Even in the world of BCS football, a school's subjective USNWR ranking is only a talking point. Revenue potential trumps all other criteria.

The NCHC must get teams with the greatest number of televisions in a given market. The only program that has good access to the Twin Cities Metro is SCSU. I'm not referring to the number of fans, (of which there are many) but the number of cable subscribers. It doesn't matter if they watch the games or not.

Assuming Notre Dame is gone, one has to assume that 8 is the number for the foreseeable future. No legitimate expansion options out there in my view.

One school that would interest me as a new upgraded Program down the road would be St Thomas. They are in the metro, they have a large and loyal alumni base, the have the national academic rankings to keep IrishSiouxFan happy (USNews #115 National University) and they have lots and lots of money.

I have no idea if they would ever consider it but they would be a nice addition to D-1.