SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Alumni, Champions Club members, season ticket holders, faculty, current students, Grand Forks residents. Those groups are the most invested stakeholders to UND. They should be the only ones allowed to vote in deciding a nickname. Anyone have Goehring's email? :)

How about Joe Taxpayer in Fairfield whose kid went to UND and whose tax dollars help pay for the new t-shirt, er, diversity coordinator? Shouldn't he have a say too?

• Upvote 1

Could the vote be held where the more you are vested in UND the more of a vote you would have. For example, student = 1 vote, alumni = 1 vote, donor = 1 vote, faculty = 1 vote. The more you are, the more votes. You could even tie residency, donation amount, etc. For the masses you could give 1/10th of a vote (or 100th), that way the goofs & bizun fans could have their fun but no actual effect.

I love the concept, but I think it would be impossible to pull off fairly for a variety of reasons.  It's way too easy to cheat unless you're literally doing some sort of voter ID checkoff, and you also have issues with how voter turnout affects the power of each constituent group.

Now, a fun variant would be something like this:  you print 100 "golden tickets" for students, 100 for alums, 100 for season ticket holders, and so on.  Different groups might get different numbers of tickets according to their "importance" in the decision.  You then randomly select people to receive those tickets, and deliver them with pomp and fanfare.  Those tickets have a list of the ten finalists, and they get to vote for one.  

You could actually pull that off, and it would not only be accurate from a statistical standpoint, but it would be great theater.  

If you'll consider ermines, I'm in, but it's not an exciting story.

I live on another sports board, and a North Dakota resident posted the story about this.  I own a market research firm that does a fair amount of brand research for various organizations and a fair amount of work for universities (maybe 15+% of our client base), so it intrigued me.  I've done a couple of projects about names changes for universities, and one of my coworkers did some mascot/logo work for a university, so I've seen some different processes.

We were brainstorming mascots and pretty much determined that Ermines would be a great name.  So I came here to help plant the seed.  I'm not a fan of college sports at all and have no ulterior motive other than to support the UND Ermines, and I'm also interested in watching the process from a professional basis.  I'll respond to another post with some observations about that process.

I think you should consider a career change. Ermines is quite lame in my book.

• Upvote 2

How about Joe Taxpayer in Fairfield whose kid went to UND and whose tax dollars help pay for the new t-shirt, er, diversity coirdinator? Shouldn't he have a say too?

One rule, no Ukrainians... lol, make a vote for parents of students, a vote for grandparents too.

I love the concept, but I think it would be impossible to pull off fairly for a variety of reasons.  It's way too easy to cheat unless you're literally doing some sort of voter ID checkoff, and you also have issues with how voter turnout affects the power of each constituent group.

I would think the survey technology available would be able to accomplish this.

Now, a fun variant would be something like this:  you print 100 "golden tickets" for students, 100 for alums, 100 for season ticket holders, and so on.  Different groups might get different numbers of tickets according to their "importance" in the decision.  You then randomly select people to receive those tickets, and deliver them with pomp and fanfare.  Those tickets have a list of the ten finalists, and they get to vote for one.  

You could actually pull that off, and it would not only be accurate from a statistical standpoint, but it would be great theater.

Looks like the herald sports guys each wrote articles on this. I don't want to rip Schlossman's but his article could've been confused for a hockey only fan letter to the editor. Big picture Brad, people will move on. Tom and Wayne seem to understand that in their articles. take the breezers off before the next nickname article maybe.

I've said before I would like to stay no nickname and unofficially be the Sioux but in my heart and brain I know that is not what is best for the school. Go with no nickname and this same hampster wheel keeps going in 3-5 year increments. Change the name and people will move on, some faster than others but eventually all will move on and someday we'll all be gone and a new generation will only know one name.

The article says going no nickname will put and end to the in house bickering and arguing and I would actually argue that picking a name will eventually do that. Not Brads most thought out work imho.

I liked Millers take on the Roughneck name. Think it could be kind of cool and unique.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

OK, cute little weasel, but why, if UND goes with a rodent, not just go back to Flickertails?

Bloody hell, just go with Golden Gophers, sit back, grab the popcorn, and watch Mark Dayton, Minnesota, and Gopher Puck Live implode.

Sounds like 462 out of 500 were chopped tonight.

Some survivors

The Force

Flames

Flickertails

Fighting Green

Badlanders

Aviators

Green Hawks

What the heck?  Who writes a story about 38 finalists without listing them?    http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/news/north-dakota/3739452-und-committee-starts-cutting-names-flickertails-badlanders-and-aviators

I'm assuming that Ermines is on the list, but I'd like proof.  Give me facts, newspaper reporter!  Facts!