SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Wonder why the Herald keeps making a special point to keep mentioning Roughriders....

If the committee loved Force so much, it shouldn't matter if a "local team" already uses the name.

Exactly. So how does "Force" fit in the criteria (has to be unique, blah blah blah...) originally laid out in this process. None of this is making any sense.

Again...zero leadership, zero common sense and zero blueprint on how to get this nickname issue resolved.

• Upvote 1

Sorry GeauxSioux, "Arrows" are considered "Native American Imagery."

UND General Counsel Julie Evans told the committee NCAA policy prohibits the use of Native American imagery and therefore “Arrows” was excluded from the list as well.

Someone needs to tell Julie that arrows have been used around the world for centuries.  The NA may have used them, but they don't own the rights to them.

Psalm 91:5  You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day,

Zechariah 9:14 Then the LORD will appear over them, and his arrow will go forth like lightning;

I hope they come up with some better names on the list to choose from than what was in the GFH.

• Upvote 1

Someone needs to tell Julie that arrows have been used around the world for centuries.  The NA may have used them, but they don't own the rights to them.

Psalm 91:5  You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day,

Zechariah 9:14 Then the LORD will appear over them, and his arrow will go forth like lightning;

I hope they come up with some better names on the list to choose from than what was in the GFH.

The fact that they had names like Force, Flames and Big Green receive the most votes in the early vetting process kind of makes me nervous.  What about Big Green is unique, or tied to the state of North Dakota or a source for pride?  

• Upvote 1

Someone needs to tell Julie that arrows have been used around the world for centuries. The NA may have used them, but they don't own the rights to them.

Psalm 91:5 You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day,

While not a fan of the name "Arrows," I certainly respect your submission of it as your choice, as well as showing us some artwork. As I predicted, though, it took all of three seconds for someone to charactize the word as "Native American imagery" and 86 it. That's the hyper-sensitive world we live in these days.

Citing Biblical references won't get you far with academia either, unfortunately.

Flying Aces scratched immediately too. Go figure. War? Airplanes being shot down? Pilots killed? I'm offended!

Force, Big Green, Spirit, Flames, Sundogs...this is going pretty much as expected.

While not a fan of the name "Arrows," I certainly respect your submission of it as your choice, as well as showing us some artwork. As I predicted, though, it took all of three seconds for someone to charactize the word as "Native American imagery" and 86 it. That's the hyper-sensitive world we live in these days.

Citing Biblical references won't get you far with academia either, unfortunately.

Flying Aces scratched immediately too. Go figure. War? Airplanes being shot down? Pilots killed? I'm offended!

Force, Big Green, Spirit, Flames, Sundogs...this is going pretty much as expected.

As long as these options somehow don't offend those in the transgender or LGBT crowds we might be making progress...................

I thought of that when I was posting.  Just trying to point out that arrows go back thousands of years and using the bible was the best way to prove that point, which is lost on the powers that be anyway.

I thought of that when I was posting. Just trying to point out that arrows go back thousands of years and using the bible was the best way to prove that point, which is lost on the powers that be anyway.

Yep, I totally get where you were going with that point. Completely lost in the world of academia though. "Arrows? Oh no, those were invented by Native Americans shortly before 1492. We can't have THAT as our nickname."

Big Green, Green Hawks, Green Machine ...   Really?    The fact that anything like that is even moving on is a joke.  Yeah, let's be just like all the other schools that had to change nicknames and pick a bird and the school colors.  Why would you not get rid of that right off the bat?   Wait, that's it, Green Bats!!

• Upvote 1

Looks like the herald sports guys each wrote articles on this. I don't want to rip Schlossman's but his article could've been confused for a hockey only fan letter to the editor. Big picture Brad, people will move on. Tom and Wayne seem to understand that in their articles. take the breezers off before the next nickname article maybe.

I've said before I would like to stay no nickname and unofficially be the Sioux but in my heart and brain I know that is not what is best for the school. Go with no nickname and this same hampster wheel keeps going in 3-5 year increments. Change the name and people will move on, some faster than others but eventually all will move on and someday we'll all be gone and a new generation will only know one name.

I too was pretty disappointed in Brad's take on this.  Maybe he hears from hockey fans more than anyone else and that's where his POV is coming from but it would be a colossal mistake in my opinion and feel fairly comfortable that the committee is aware of not picking a new nickname will cause the large majority to hold onto the old one because they have nothing to gravitate towards.  Your second paragraph is spot on.  People will slowly figure out they are cheering for and supporting a University and not a nickname or logo. 

The fact that they had names like Force, Flames and Big Green receive the most votes in the early vetting process kind of makes me nervous.  What about Big Green is unique, or tied to the state of North Dakota or a source for pride?  

I honestly wouldn't start getting too concerned at this stage.  Names like those are easily deemed to be not offensive or controversial and at this point, it is a high level look on getting rid of the majority of garbage that was submitted.

At this point in time, it's hard to believe they can pick anything that will be unifying and rallying. A new nickname is much more likely to creative a divide on campus and among the alumni community. That's not something the school and community needs right now.

Uh, Brad, buddy, that divide is here already. We're living it. We need a decision so we quit living in this netherworld. 

• Upvote 4

Big Green, Green Hawks, Green Machine ...   Really?    The fact that anything like that is even moving on is a joke.  Yeah, let's be just like all the other schools that had to change nicknames and pick a bird and the school colors.  Why would you not get rid of that right off the bat?   Wait, that's it, Green Bats!!

What the heck is a Green Hawk?  A school (with red as a school color) going to Red Hawks makes some sense.  Red-tailed hawks are an actual thing.  I'm not aware of any green hawks flying the prairie.

To me the nickname committee has acted just like elected politicians. You get voted in, and don't enact the will of the people. Committee please keep it North Dakota. 

They were appointed, not elected and their job is to what is best for the school.  If they determine not to choose a nickname, so be it but claiming "will of the people" thing is a little far-fetched.

• Upvote 1

I am a big fan of staying University of North Dakota, BUT if they want a new nickname that is unique and relative to the state. Nokota should be high on the list. Very unique name, state horse, you could come up with a pretty awesome logo. Go Nokes?!?!?

Regarding Schlossman's piece.....didn't Wayne Nelson, Tom Miller and Schlossman all come out with a piece on the same day, with different angles?   Struck me as a "let's do pieces about the different view points out there....who wants to take XYZ?"

I too was pretty disappointed in Brad's take on this.  Maybe he hears from hockey fans more than anyone else and that's where his POV is coming from but it would be a colossal mistake in my opinion and feel fairly comfortable that the committee is aware of not picking a new nickname will cause the large majority to hold onto the old one because they have nothing to gravitate towards.  Your second paragraph is spot on.  People will slowly figure out they are cheering for and supporting a University and not a nickname or logo. 

This is what the no nickname folks have already figured out.   Seeing names like Arrows eliminated already, and fake made up birds and anything with the word green in front of it being moved forward in the process, further supports my fear the chosen name will be as mamby pamby as they come.

They were appointed, not elected and their job is to what is best for the school.  If they determine not to choose a nickname, so be it but claiming "will of the people" thing is a little far-fetched.

"best for the school"?   The way this process is set up I would argue that on a list of things/objectives this committee is trying to accomplish by selecting a new nickname "best for the school" comes in at #27 on a list of objectives 25 points long.

This is what the no nickname folks have already figured out.   Seeing names like Arrows eliminated already, and fake made up birds and anything with the word green in front of it being moved forward in the process, further supports my fear the chosen name will be as mamby pamby as they come.

What they figured out is that can continue to yell Fighting Sioux because there will be nothing to compete with it.  Read the comments on any article or even the suggestion list.