SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

"North Dakota" is the Sioux State/flickertail/peace garden state/roughrider state.

For me it's simple...keep going down the line....Why wouldn't UND become the Roughriders? UND has already shown a history of picking their nicknames from this list.

Who cares if a local high school has the same nickname. There are already teams and high schools that share the name...Ames HS Little Cyclones. And others someone here already posted.

I think Roughriders or some derivative of Norsemen would be highly appropriate. It won't happen though. The standards that the nickname transition committee were following, I believe, stated that UND could not adopt a new personified nickname or logo. No Fighting Sioux. . . no people . . . so no Roughriders or Norsemen.

It'll be something real original like the Bobcats or Tigers!

I think Roughriders or some derivative of Norsemen would be highly appropriate. It won't happen though. The standards that the nickname transition committee were following, I believe, stated that UND could not adopt a new personified nickname or logo. No Fighting Sioux. . . no people . . . so no Roughriders or Norsemen.

It'll be something real original like the Bobcats or Tigers!

There was a committee working on retiring the nickname, but I don't believe that they were looking at standards for a new nickname yet. There was supposed to be a separate committee formed when it was time to look at new nicknames. I also believe that there was a 3rd committee, but I don't remember what their role was. Possibly 1 committee to retire the name, 1 to work on maintaining the history of the name, and then a future committee to find a new name.

There was a committee working on retiring the nickname, but I don't believe that they were looking at standards for a new nickname yet. There was supposed to be a separate committee formed when it was time to look at new nicknames. I also believe that there was a 3rd committee, but I don't remember what their role was. Possibly 1 committee to retire the name, 1 to work on maintaining the history of the name, and then a future committee to find a new name.

Correct, I know there were three committees and I am not sure what their specific names were. I believe it was Bruce Smith, Aerospace Dean, who said they couldn't even consider a nickname that is representative of a person. It's dissapointing, but quite frankly I agree. It'll only open the door to comments of "how come it's fine to use Teddy Roosevelt", for example, "as a mascot, but not a sioux warrior?"

I'm hoping it's just "University of North Dakota" . . . nothing else is necesary.

Correct, I know there were three committees and I am not sure what their specific names were. I believe it was Bruce Smith, Aerospace Dean, who said they couldn't even consider a nickname that is representative of a person. It's dissapointing, but quite frankly I agree. It'll only open the door to comments of "how come it's fine to use Teddy Roosevelt", for example, "as a mascot, but not a sioux warrior?"

I'm hoping it's just "University of North Dakota" . . . nothing else is necesary.

Nothing else is necessary, but the NCAA requires that we have a new nickname. I am sure the NCAA feels that if we do not select a new nickname, than we will still be unofficially the "Fighting Sioux" and they don't want that. A new name will come eventually. Hopefully we can select an appropriate one.

To eliminate confusion and misinformation, here is a link that describes the three task groups originally created:

http://nickname.und.edu/logo/?p=300

The group charged with developing a new nickname and/or logo was never formed.

• 5 weeks later...

I remember when Syracuse used to be called the Orangemen and then they changed to just the Syracuse Orange. I would be up for either UND to not have a nickname at all and just be the University of North Dakota or go the route of Syracuse and be the Green or something like that.

I remember when Syracuse used to be called the Saltine Warriors and the Orangemen and then they changed to just the Syracuse Orange. I would be up for either UND to not have a nickname at all and just be the University of North Dakota or go the route of Syracuse and be the Green or something like that.

Added to your post. ;)

Personally, I think the NCAA wants everyone to become a bland lettermark and a color. See: Stanford, Harvard, Syracuse. Dartmouth.

I'll pass on that.

• Upvote 1

The Mean Green of UND?? I don't like that Tulane is the Green Wave and Dartmouth is the Big Green....Maybe the UND Fighting Green? What's our mascot going to be a crayon?? How about something that brings back Thunder the Bleacher Creature!!

• 1 month later...

Grand Forks’ peregrine falcons apparently add to brood

Roosevelt and Terminator appear to have added to their family once again, as Grand Forks birdwatcher Tim Driscoll reports “clear evidence” that the resident peregrine falcons have hatched at least two young.

The pair produced three, one male and two females, each of the past three years at their nest atop the UND water tower, where they returned in late March.

“They were two weeks early this year and laid their eggs early,” Driscoll said. “They started incubating April 18.”

UND pereGreen Falcons

From Wikipedia...

The Peregrine is renowned for its speed, reaching over 322 km/h (200 mph) during its characteristic hunting stoop (high speed dive),[6] making it the fastest member of the animal kingdom.

When I saw that in the Hurled yesterday, and that they've moved atop the UND water tower, I wondered how long until the notion would appear here.

GeauxSioux right on cue. ;)

If they pick a raptor-based moniker, I'd prefer the apex predator from this region. This guy. ;)

It actually occurred to me yesterday after reading the piece, but didn't get around to posting it until today.

Funny you should mention Owls. I was at the in-laws in Louisiana over the weekend and every night I would hear the owls "talking" in the neighboorhood. Very cool.