SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

No way. The schools are in different conferences. It would be stupid for NDSU to tie up an OOC date every year to play UND.

Why don't you just go cheer for wyoming against csu. You do not know anything about a real rival. Wimp

771087038-not_this_shit_again.jpg

Who cares? What's the point?

If it does get scheduled at all, it will get scheduled roughly 6 months to a year after Gene Taylor is no longer employed by NDSU.......................

Funny - Nothing to do with Gene - check your own backyard.. Last I heard Gene presented UND with a everyother year contract that was turned down.

Funny - Nothing to do with Gene - check your own backyard.. Last I heard Gene presented UND with a everyother year contract that was turned down.

I would actually like to see them play every other year but I keep seeing nothing but stupid comments about who is better but the fact of the matter is nobody knows because they don't play each other. It is nothing but armchair quarterback speculation. Maybe someday we will get to meet in the playoffs and then we can determine who is actually better!

• Upvote 1

So why is he turning it down now? Both teams are going to be on even ground with scholarships, conferences, and schedules. The first time they play and UND wins...that will be the end of the series. GT would rather play the Wagner's and the St. Francis of the FCS than a school 80 miles north of them that may actually draw a crowd. Has there been a decent FCS OOC team to see the Fargodome yet? Oh wait Robert Morris was there.

I would actually like to see them play every other year but I keep seeing nothing but stupid comments about who is better but the fact of the matter is nobody knows because they don't play each other. It is nothing but armchair quarterback speculation. Maybe someday we will get to meet in the playoffs and then we can determine who is actually better!

AMEN!!!!

So why is he turning it down now? Both teams are going to be on even ground with scholarships, conferences, and schedules. The first time they play and UND wins...that will be the end of the series. GT would rather play the Wagner's and the St. Francis of the FCS than a school 80 miles north of them that may actually draw a crowd. Has there been a decent FCS OOC team to see the Fargodome yet? Oh wait Robert Morris was there.

I'd watch what you say about OOC schedules for teams coming in, as UND hasn't exactly been burning it down in that area with Stony Brook, Lamar and NW State, and the plethora of NAIA and DII teams coming through the Al. Your question did make me a little curious, though, so I checked and noted that they had NW State, Stephen F Austin, Sam Houston St, Northeastern, Weber State, Illinois State (prior to MVFC membership). These may not have been world beater teams when they played them, but they were all from reputable conferences. Granted, since the beginning of MVFC play they haven't had any teams like these (GSU backed out of this years return), but it's a better OOC home slate than UND has been able to put out. As for your Robert Morris crack - note that they are coming to UND as OOC in 2014.

As for why GT might be turning it down now - sure it might be out of spite, but they have teams like Montana State and Montana coming in for some OOC games, so they might want to have a cupcake home game to get that extra home game and ensure an FCS win for playoff selection. I thought that Faison should have taken the every other year when presented earlier, and maybe GT is just making a point. He pretty much has all the power when it comes to getting this thing going again. Do the teams need each other - definitely no. Now that UND has a full conference schedule, they see what it looked like from NDSU's perspective to only need a handful of OOC games. Who knows, with the way they set up playoffs regionally we might see UND and NDSU battle it out in the playoffs if both teams manage to get there. But, I for one would like an every other year series so we can play other teams, but get the Bison every now and then, as I always enjoyed the games, and if they finally play we can see where the teams stack up against each other.

I'd watch what you say about OOC schedules for teams coming in, as UND hasn't exactly been burning it down in that area with Stony Brook, Lamar and NW State, and the plethora of NAIA and DII teams coming through the Al. Your question did make me a little curious, though, so I checked and noted that they had NW State, Stephen F Austin, Sam Houston St, Northeastern, Weber State, Illinois State (prior to MVFC membership). These may not have been world beater teams when they played them, but they were all from reputable conferences. Granted, since the beginning of MVFC play they haven't had any teams like these (GSU backed out of this years return), but it's a better OOC home slate than UND has been able to put out. As for your Robert Morris crack - note that they are coming to UND as OOC in 2014.

As for why GT might be turning it down now - sure it might be out of spite, but they have teams like Montana State and Montana coming in for some OOC games, so they might want to have a cupcake home game to get that extra home game and ensure an FCS win for playoff selection. I thought that Faison should have taken the every other year when presented earlier, and maybe GT is just making a point. He pretty much has all the power when it comes to getting this thing going again. Do the teams need each other - definitely no. Now that UND has a full conference schedule, they see what it looked like from NDSU's perspective to only need a handful of OOC games. Who knows, with the way they set up playoffs regionally we might see UND and NDSU battle it out in the playoffs if both teams manage to get there. But, I for one would like an every other year series so we can play other teams, but get the Bison every now and then, as I always enjoyed the games, and if they finally play we can see where the teams stack up against each other.

Our OOC schedule may be crap but remember we are still in transition. Look at our OOC in post-transition...Central Arkansas, Montana, South Dakota State, Valpo, Robert Morris (my crack was they finally saw a good team in the dome since the end of transition...a playoff team) so far. Look who NDSU had post transition... Austin Peay, Central Conn St, Sam Houston, Wagner, Morgan State, South Dakota, Lafayette, St. Francis through 2011. No FCS OOC team scheduled in 2012... Montana St in 2013, Montana and South Dakota in 2014, and no home FCS OOC game in 2015 scheduled.

Our OOC schedule may be crap but remember we are still in transition. Look at our OOC in post-transition...Central Arkansas, Montana, South Dakota State, Valpo, Robert Morris (my crack was they finally saw a good team in the dome since the end of transition...a playoff team) so far. Look who NDSU had post transition... Austin Peay, Central Conn St, Sam Houston, Wagner, Morgan State, South Dakota, Lafayette, St. Francis through 2011. No FCS OOC team scheduled in 2012... Montana St in 2013, Montana and South Dakota in 2014, and no home FCS OOC game in 2015 scheduled.

I guess I misinterpretted your crack...... :)

Whether it happens in the next couple of years or not, UND and NDSU will play each other, maybe every year (eventually) or maybe every other year with USD and SDSU on the off years or maybe even a three year rotation with all 3 Dakota schools. Iowa/Iowa State, Colorado/Colorado State, Florida/Florida State all manange to play OOC games with each other every year. Granted, they are all BCS teams with extra games. Idaho State has managed to survive without playing Idaho since 2008, Utah & Utah State haven't met since '09. While some, like Missouri/Missouri State, Indiana/Indiana State, apparently do not play each other at all. Bottom line, if UND doesn't schedule an annual or semi-annual game with NDSU, it will make meeting them in the playoffs that much more special Although, with the FargoDome being almost twice as large as the Alerus, it would, sadly, probably be in Fargo unless its a National Championship game. The NCAA would be rubbing their Ebenezer Scrooge hands over the thought of a playoff game that would be the first onfield meeting between these two teams in ## years!.

Right now, the Bison have the upper hand since they have had 5 more years of D-I exposure, so they want to hold on to that advantage as long as they can. As soon as the Sioux beat them, if there is any perceived advantage of NDSU over UND (especially in recruiting), that perception will no longer be something the Bison can brag about.

• 1 month later...

No point in ever playing them again.................

We set our attendance record with Texas A&M-Kingsville and Wisconsin-Lacrosse on the home schedule..................

The very last North Dakota-NDSU game didn't even sell out in the smaller of the two possible venues...........................

They crave the exposure that would come from playing us, and we get enough the way it is, so why help them out?

Let Gene Taylor come up with a new annual excuse as to why he's not allowed to let the game happen......................that's been hilarious every year for 7 years running! :D

After watching your game on thursday, I wonder if some of you still feel the same? I am thinking a 50-0 beatdown of the Sioux would get you all the exposure you are craving.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

After watching your game on thursday, I wonder if some of you still feel the same? I am thinking a 50-0 beatdown of the Sioux would get you all the exposure you are craving.

Good gravy we are still in transition, don't you have your own site to post your swill on?

Team that won the most games in the last decade they played: UND

Team that won the last game played between the two teams: UND

Team with the overall winning record in the now defunct rivalty: UND

Team that left the conference, thus ending the rivaltry: NDSU

Team that had more scholarships and wanted to continue the rivalry: NDSU

Team that could have missed the playoffs if it would have continued the rivalry: UND

Team that has hosted the most playoff games in the past 20 years: UND

Please MOOOOOVE on.

UND needs an annual rivalry game against NDSU. Without it, NDSU will dominate the area in terms of attention and hype. It's the unfortunate truth given the current circumstances. NDSU has the most area support and a UND win over NDSU is the only way to get some attention back to the UND football program.

Good gravy we are still in transition, don't you have your own site to post your swill on?

Team that won the most games in the last decade they played: UND

Team that won the last game played between the two teams: UND

Team with the overall winning record in the now defunct rivalty: UND

Team that left the conference, thus ending the rivaltry: NDSU

Team that had more scholarships and wanted to continue the rivalry: NDSU

Team that could have missed the playoffs if it would have continued the rivalry: UND

Team that has hosted the most playoff games in the past 20 years: UND

Please MOOOOOVE on.

Talk about living in the past. The truth of the matter is, your program is about 7 years behind ours and we would put on a beat down.

Give it a few more years and the game will be played at least every other year. I think that if UND struggles this year then Mussman gets the boot. The next coach will come in and I say 3-4 years down the road the first game will be played. That would be a good thing for UND. Right now UND is not on the same level as NDSU. Nor should we be. The new practice facility will be built within the next year or two which will give UND a big recruiting boost. 3-4 years from now with more talented recruits coming in and more time to set our feet in D-1 football; I see the continuation of a very long and competitive rivalry.

Honestly, in my opinion, NDSU would be better served to restart the rivalry than UND. If I'm NDSU I wanna put a beatdown on UND as soon as I can. If they wait and UND ends up winning then a power shift might once again tip in UND's favor.

• Upvote 1

Yes....after beating mighty Lafayette College 42-6 (a team with a big TWO wins last season, over mighty Stonybrook, and mighty Bucknell), NDSU would be on the verge of putting up half a hundred on the Sioux.

The Sioux hockey team would beat the NDSU hockey team 50-0, based on your avatar, thats the sport you care the most about.

Wow, you beat a team who won 2 games last year against some powerhouses. I can't imagine how good you'll be feeling after beating a 1 win team from a year ago next weekend. Thanks for stopping by though.

• Upvote 1

I was at both the UND game and the NDSU game this weekend. IMO, if two teams played tomorrow, Vegas would give our boys about 10 1/2 maybe 14. The Bison are a mature team with an strong identity. UND is currently neither.

But they are not playing tomorrow, or next year or the year after that. So, lets hope Mussman is developing an identity for this program as it enters the BigSky. If he does that and recruits to support it, I'm not worried about any future matchups with our friends in Fargo.

• Upvote 2

Blah, blah, blah, blah, bring on HOCKEY BOYZZZZ!!

I like the bison trolls comparing the ndsu fb team to the UND hockey team, YEA RIGHT!

Sioux hockey, well known USA/CANADA wide!

Bison football, three states know about them, hahahaha!

It just kills the bison fans when they hear all year long about the "Flagship College of North Dakota" Fighting Sioux!

But, back on topic, I thought the Sioux football team looked exciting on Thursday!

I believe the years to come are going to be so much fun being a UND fan!

Go Sioux!

I'd like to see the team play every year just because there is still a natural rivalry since FCS teams are few and far apart in the western 2/3 of the country. As for who would be favored this year, it's got to be NDSU. They did make it to the semi-finals last year.

Just for everyone to know NDSU will NEVER agree to have the game every year because they love having 6 home games a year. Of course those home games are with the cupcakes of the FCS. I bet the first time UND-NDSU meet (of course in the Fargodome) NDSU will end the deal and GT wll make up some excuse like we are moving to the FBS. :lol: NDSU just signed up OOC Western Carolina (2-9 last year) and Robert Morris (of course after UND signed up RM to come to GF). Also NDSU has had 1 road OOC FCS game since joining the MVFC 2009 against Sam Houston St, and since beating NDSU I think Gene Taylor will stay away from the tough OOC teams and stick to the cupcakes.

Just for everyone to know NDSU will NEVER agree to have the game every year because they love having 6 home games a year. Of course those home games are with the cupcakes of the FCS. I bet the first time UND-NDSU meet (of course in the Fargodome) NDSU will end the deal and GT wll make up some excuse like we are moving to the FBS. :lol: NDSU just signed up OOC Western Carolina (2-9 last year) and Robert Morris (of course after UND signed up RM to come to GF). Also NDSU has had 1 road OOC FCS game since joining the MVFC 2009 against Sam Houston St, and since beating NDSU I think Gene Taylor will stay away from the tough OOC teams and stick to the cupcakes.

or maybe because they played them in the playoffs last season