SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

At least our 1 national championship was won within the lifetime of the current players. Yours were won back in the days when the Raiders were one of the best teams in the NFL. Bison fans who spout off about their 8 national championships remind me of Raider fans who spout off about their 3 Super Bowl championships. What have you done LATELY?

Does it matter when they were won? The fargodome is filled with fans every game who were part of those eras. History breeds tradition. Like the maple leafs or les habitants in the NHL, you can't take it away. It's not like the Sioux hockey team has been racking em up recently either. I know it's nice to just make stuff up to support your side of the story.

Lately? The bison made a run to the semis. A pretty impressive one at that. And while it is nice to reflect on, most of us bison fans are still disappointed a little just in the fact that they gave the eventual champ all they could handle on their home field and what possibly could have been....and excited for this year and a chance to knock down that door. That is, after all, kind of what being a fan is all about.

I see and hear 7>5 all the time. Then when I see 8>1 it doesn't count? :lol:

Does it matter when they were won? The fargodome is filled with fans every game who were part of those eras. History breeds tradition. Like the maple leafs or les habitants in the NHL, you can't take it away. It's not like the Sioux hockey team has been racking em up recently either. I know it's nice to just make stuff up to support your side of the story.

Lately? The bison made a run to the semis. A pretty impressive one at that. And while it is nice to reflect on, most of us bison fans are still disappointed a little just in the fact that they gave the eventual champ all they could handle on their home field and what possibly could have been....and excited for this year and a chance to knock down that door. That is, after all, kind of what being a fan is all about.

I see and hear 7>5 all the time. Then when I see 8>1 it doesn't count? :lol:

When was that?

Ohhh....it was one hundred percent glee. And while my brother tried to explain why it wasn't a fumble I supported the NCAA ruling of the call like a blind Eastern Washington fan.... :blush:

I was thinking of the last Nickel Trophy game played between the schools....WHAT A GAME!!!!!

A little trivia for you: Cheat if you want, but see how you do without a crutch.

A) Who won the game? (This is easy for you Bison Fans)

B) Who scored the first touchdown of the game? Team, and player please.

C) Who were the starting QB's for both teams?

D) What was the score of the game?

E) What player scored the game winning TD in overtime?

F) What player broke his leg before the last play of the game.

G) Who was the last player to touch the football in the Bison-Sioux Rivalry?

H) Who was the last player to make a tackle in the Bison-Sioux Rivalry?

Pretty easy....but wow....what a great game that day....Someone should post it on youtube if you have the highlights....

A) Not the Bison. LOL

B) No idea

C) Tony Stauss and John? Bowenkamp

D) 28-21

E)Can't remember his name. A tall wr for you guys who of course Bobby Babich couldn't cover

F)Kyle Steffes, but I don't think it was the pentultimate play of the game

G)Rod Malone

H)Digger Anderson

A) Not the Bison. LOL

B) No idea

C) Tony Stauss and John? Bowenkamp

D) 28-21

E)Can't remember his name. A tall wr for you guys who of course Bobby Babich couldn't cover

F)Kyle Steffes, but I don't think it was the pentultimate play of the game

G)Rod Malone

H)Digger Anderson

A) Correct

B)........

C) Correct

D) Correct

E)......

F) Correct

G) Correct

H) Correct

Can anyone get the last two? Hint....not the same player.

Florida and Florida State have no problem with their OOC rivalry. I just don't get why playing UND every year is "stupid". You have 3 OOC games just like us. There is NO requirement that you have to have a FBS game, or 6 home games.

Not to mention the NDSU - UND would be likely as profitable as any other game these schools could hope to schedule.

There are a lot of Bison fans on this site, they are also Sioux hockey fans. For either fan base to suggest that one program is superior to the other or has moved on is laughable. In five years once UND has become post-season eligible and has played the Big Sky, etc they wil be on equal footing. No one has "forgot" about anything. Some Bison fans can claim SDSU or UNI is their big football rival.....some UND fans will claim Montana State or Montana is their big rival in the future.....BS. Nothing gets the blood boiling on a beautiful fall day like UND/NDSU.

Amen

My guess is he is referring to last year, when they lost to EWU in the FCS Semis...

They should have won that game too. I'm not a Bison fan but they got screwed. They screwed themselves plenty at the end of that game but the refs ultimately gave the game away in the final minutes.

Well it was the quarter-finals actually but the better team did not win that game. The Bison outplayed EWU but just had some missteps and poor calls at the end. EWU went on to win the NC.

Thats your opinion but there won't be anyone here who agrees with you.

At least our 1 national championship was won within the lifetime of the current players. Yours were won back in the days when the Raiders were one of the best teams in the NFL. Bison fans who spout off about their 8 national championships remind me of Raider fans who spout off about their 3 Super Bowl championships. What have you done LATELY?

If you would or could actually read, you would understand who I was replying to. To say NDSU has no history or past to brag about isn't very smart. I understand that the championships aren't relevant to today, pretty sure every NDSU fan knows this. I wouldn't be bragging about that 1 champ. in 2001 either, kids on the teams today were probably 8 years old then.

As far as my Avatar, I am proud to display the classiest Sioux fan ever.

• Downvote 1

The 2010 National Champion beats NDSU in the playoffs and the better team didn't win? So how many mythical National Championships are the Bison up to now since they began their transition? There are so many I can't seem to keep up.

How is a picture of a UMD Bulldog fan flipping off a Michigan player "the classiest Sioux fan ever"?

If you would or could actually read, you would understand who I was replying to. To say NDSU has no history or past to brag about isn't very smart. I understand that the championships aren't relevant to today, pretty sure every NDSU fan knows this. I wouldn't be bragging about that 1 champ. in 2001 either, kids on the teams today were probably 8 years old then.

Well....if hockey is your thing....send up the NDSU team to play the Sioux you big hockey fan you. :lol:

I guess I'm not going to put a picture of Jensen fumbling at the one yard line, or the NDSU fan on youtube punching another fan for my avatar.....Because it really has nothing to do with the school that I cheer for, and is only an attention grabbing mechanism.

I wish I had time in my day to visit another universities fan forum, and try to piss people off......guess I've got better things to do in this lifetime... ;)

You could take a page from WYOMINGBISON and actually add something to the conversation, but that'd require you to take off the green and yellow shades....

The so-called "better team" was not even worthy of being selected to the playoff field. They went into their last regular season game needing a win and laid an egg, yet the committee still found a way to put them in. To their credit, they actually won a couple of games once they got in but the fact remains that based on their regular season performance they did not deserve a playoff berth. Another team that was more deserving got screwed over. I honestly don't remember now who they were, but that is beside the point. The Bison just aren't that good, and they haven't been since 1990. Obviously they aren't terrible, but to suggest that they're better than the team that went on to win the national championship is a reach.

At the start of the playoffs I was totally on your side, I was devastated watching NDSU piss the Missouri St. game down their leg, but I think once they got in the playoffs they showed that they were entirely worthy of their inclusion into the playoffs. They beat the NEC champ, which is nothing spectacular by any means, but they absolutely owned Montana St., and took the soon-to-be National Champion to the 1 yard line in overtime on the road. And we all can probably admit, UND or Bison fans alike, that the referee definitely screwed up. If he had made the correct call, most would assume NDSU would have scored, and either went for two(I would think so), or would have went to a 2nd overtime.

The mid-late 90's the Bison were not up to their usual stuff. 2000 with Gordon was magical. Had two quarterbacks not torn their ACL's in Nebraska and had Fargo gotten the playoff game as they should have, we could very well be talking about the state of North Dakota having back-to-back championships not unlike Alabama and Auburn recently. I understand you do not like the Bison and that is well within your right Dave. I don't like UND, never have, never will. But I might mention even when UND was beating NDSU in the 90's and 2000's, they were good games for the most part. Something that UND can't really hold their head up about in the 80's.

Back to should they resume the football series, I'd rather they just do a single home-and-home and be done with it. I really dig this whole "6 home games" thing. It is fun. Now if UND is willing to give us a 2 for 1 deal for the rest of the rivalry, well maybe I can give up that home game once every three years. ;) If both schools decide that they still want to be close to one another and that both want the rivalry to continue, I will be fine with it I suppose. But for all the idiots (not just SS.com members) who think the state should step in and force the two schools to play, I will say that they are stupid. Schools can make up their minds on their own.

-JohnboyND7 "On Bison!"

Well....if hockey is your thing....send up the NDSU team to play the Sioux you big hockey fan you. :lol:

I guess I'm not going to put a picture of Jensen fumbling at the one yard line, or the NDSU fan on youtube punching another fan for my avatar.....Because it really has nothing to do with the school that I cheer for, and is only an attention grabbing mechanism.

I wish I had time in my day to visit another universities fan forum, and try to piss people off......guess I've got better things to do in this lifetime... ;)

You could take a page from WYOMINGBISON and actually add something to the conversation, but that'd require you to take off the green and yellow shades....

Agreed, he seems like the kind of guy you can have a beer with and chat about the sport with a bit of smack, but not too much out of respect. This forum dude seems like that punk kid who is drunk and knows nothing about the school he is cheering for except that the team they are playing SUCKS!

• Upvote 2

Agreed, he seems like the kind of guy you can have a beer with and chat about the sport with a bit of smack, but not too much out of respect. This forum dude seems like that punk kid who is drunk and knows nothing about the school he is cheering for except that the team they are playing SUCKS!

WYOBISONMAN sets a really good example for how Bison fans should behave on here. Hambone does a great job of it for UND fans over on Bisonville.

Another classy post by Lakesbison on the Idaho message board. He makes NDSU proud!!

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=205&f=2664&t=7887853

CC Junior Vandal

14 posts this site

Posted: Yesterday 10:38 PM

RE: Who are we playing on Saturday?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yea these arrogant and racist people at und have keep the name hostage from true native americans for years, thankfully its done now and standing rock and other north dakota native americans dont have to deal with this crap. They have their own issues on their reservations to take care of instead of dealing with arrogant, racist people from grand forks (like their hockey arena nazi-sympathizer donor ralph engelstad)

Standing Rock is against the name, Great Plains Indian's voted 11-0 to denounce the name, turtle mountain tribe ND state senator voted no against the name. how arrogant can these fools be?

besides, their football and basketball teams are dead last in D1.

FARVE BEAT THE VIKINGS ONE LAST TIME< RUN THE BALL YOU CHICKEN FARVE!! LEAVE MINNESOTA NOW!! AKA. FireDennyGuy.

Well, like I said, to their credit they actually won a couple of games once they got there. I was simply making the point that they never should have been there based on their regular season performance. As for your comparison of the '80s when the Bison won a lot of lopsided games compared to the '90s when the Sioux won a lot of competitive games... anybody can run the score up on an inferior oppoent (which I admit the Sioux were for much of the '80s) but the great teams find a way to win the close ones.

I hope you are not insinuating that the Sioux teams of the 90's could have beat the Bison of 82-90. Not trying to knock the Sioux teams of the 90's but the 80's Bison all the way up til the move into the Dome were all excellent teams. I am still not sure the Bison of today could beat those teams and obviously now we are D1.