SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

I seem to remember a certain Sioux football team that went into Northern Iowa and stunned a D1AA squad. Ryan Dressler lead a UND squad with 35 schlorships against a fully funded national power in their home building.I think this is in the tlme frame you speak of.You may think your bison are way ahead of UND but it might be closer than you think.When was the last time you won in Northern Iowa?I don't think your ad gene wants any part of UND.It is a no win situation for him.If he wins he was suppose to,if he loses him and kojak can go find champman and bond.Aren't you just happy to be out on summer vacation.When are you scheduled to go to fargo for sport camp.How many did ma and pa spring for?I am sure saul and craig will mold you into a future bison.Keep that sippe cup full of bison koolaid.

That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read. Taylor will play UND, as long as your AD doesn't demand an annual game.

Well seems like UND is blamed for breaking the rivalry. So if the series would've continued in 2004 would the game be played annually today or would've the Bison have broken it so they can have home games against Central Conn. St, and Wagner.

vs Montana State

@ Kansas St

vs Montana

@ Iowa State

@ Montana

I can just about guarantee there will be more games with Montana State. Taylor offered UND a reasonable deal, every other year home and homes and your ad said no. Taylor isn't making excuses anymore, he just doesn't want a yearly game and it is hard to blame him when looking at our future schedules. He won't budge on that, the next AD won't budge on that, it doesn't make sense for NDSU or UND to play an annual game. One school basically gets stuck with just five home games every other year if that is the case.That isn't acceptable in Fargo and I doubt it is in GF either.

Your probably right, it no sense for the 2 largest schools in the state with one of the longest running rivalries in the country to not play each other every year any more. And 70 miles is such a long distance to travel that I would be pissed if I had to drive it or had to watch the game on TV. Just more excuses. They are pretty good though, pass them along to Gene for the next time he gets asked the question.

I seem to remember a certain Sioux football team that went into Northern Iowa and stunned a D1AA squad. Ryan Dressler lead a UND squad with 35 schlorships against a fully funded national power in their home building.I think this is in the tlme frame you speak of.You may think your bison are way ahead of UND but it might be closer than you think.When was the last time you won in Northern Iowa?I don't think your ad gene wants any part of UND.It is a no win situation for him.If he wins he was suppose to,if he loses him and kojak can go find champman and bond.Aren't you just happy to be out on summer vacation.When are you scheduled to go to fargo for sport camp.How many did ma and pa spring for?I am sure saul and craig will mold you into a future bison.Keep that sippe cup full of bison koolaid.

+1

2006 UND defeated UNI....that was the year NDSU went 10-1 with their only loss to the Gophers.

Your probably right, it no sense for the 2 largest schools in the state with one of the longest running rivalries in the country to not play each other every year any more. And 70 miles is such a long distance to travel that I would be pissed if I had to drive it or had to watch the game on TV. Just more excuses. They are pretty good though, pass them along to Gene for the next time he gets asked the question.

If there was a 12 game schedule it would make a lot of sense, playing five home games does not make sense for NDSU's bottom line. Maybe it does for UND but I don't know. Gene gave your AD a workable framework to continue the rivalry and he said no.

There are no excuses anymore, Gene doesn't want five home game every other year. That is why they game won't happen every year, if you don't like it your AD should have never stopped the annual game from happening years ago. Now NDSU doesn't need that UND game on the schedule as much as in the DII era, it will only happen if it makes sense or if the legislature eventually forces the schools to play.

Yes, UND won against Northern Iowa, and that was a great win for them. NDSU went in and beat #1 Montana when we were D-2. Anything can happen on a football field. Gene has suggested playing it before. He wants to play it under his circumstances.

Haha I am not happy to be on summer vacation, working for a farmer vs. getting A's. I would never be able to be a member of the Herd...5 foot 8. Too short for basketball, 150 pounds, too small for football. I am fully aware that I can have too much confidence in my team, but you guys are really fun to read up on. I love the Bison Kool-aid and it tastes damn good compared to that indian spirit water you fella's are drinking up north.

• Downvote 2

You are truly delusional beyond belief if you honestly believe these ridiculous statements. It's one thing to be a fan, but try to maintain some objectivity.

Trust me, im pretty objective. I thought the Bison were going to have another bad year last year. I'm not even optomistic about this season(No passing game). But 3-8 '09 Bison played in a tough conference, lost a few close games(not claiming moral victory at all, win on scoreboard counts for a lot more). Pat Paschall was unstoppable though, I guess the Bison Faithful can be proud of that. I just don't think you guys can fully comprehend right now how much tougher it gets to win when you play in a real conference. The Great West hasn't gotten you guys ready for real conference football any better than it got us ready. It is a bitch, playing UNI, SDSU, Youngstown, Southern Illinois, etc.

NDSU since the Nickel series ended has gotten loads better for the most part. A lot due to the transition, maybe some due to Bohl's recruiting but that more than likely came from moving into Division 1. UND since that overtime win in the Alerus has not showed you guys a lot to be proud of, with the exception of beating UNI, something NDSU just can't quite figure out of late.

Back to the main point of the thread, lets see the game in the playoffs, let's get the dome rocking,

If there was a 12 game schedule it would make a lot of sense, playing five home games does not make sense for NDSU's bottom line. Maybe it does for UND but I don't know. Gene gave your AD a workable framework to continue the rivalry and he said no.

There are no excuses anymore, Gene doesn't want five home game every other year. That is why they game won't happen every year, if you don't like it your AD should have never stopped the annual game from happening years ago. Now NDSU doesn't need that UND game on the schedule as much as in the DII era, it will only happen if it makes sense or if the legislature eventually forces the schools to play.

So you are saying that NDSU would have stopped the rivalry in 2008 when NDSU joined the MVFC since Gene doesn't want 5 home games. Thank you!!

It sure is easy to run your mouth when there is no head-to-head matchup to prove you wrong isn't it? Trust me, the 2009 Sioux were better than you think they were. They beat Cal-Poly by 14, who beat SDSU by 7, who beat NDSU by 15. For you to come here and insinuate that a 6-5 UND team would have had virtually no chance against a 3-8 NDSU team makes you out to be every bit the unobjective fan that you just denied being.

You have to excuse him its the liquor talking that he swiped from mom and dad's liquor cabinet.

NDSU wants to it both ways -- to declare superiority without proving it on the field. Once we are in the Big Sky and recuriting as well or better than NDSU (roster talent should be comparable by 2014 at latest), they will have even less incentive to play us.

• Upvote 1

I think another benefit of the Fighting Sioux legislation is that it may cause NDSU to rethink its policy on playing teams with Native American nicknames and then they can be like their supposed equals in football in Minnesota and Wisconsin. I, for one, hope we never play these trolls again and just keep looking in the rear view mirror to see these guys go gently into the night.

BobIwabuchiFan

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Bison fan here who wants it back. A couple points:

I wish they could do it annually but I understand that since they will not be in the same conference it makes it more difficult. Both teams have difficult conference schedules, and it is a race to 7 and usually 8 wins for the playoffs. So we are always looking at the payday games (UM, Kansas, Colorado State, etc) as well as the cupcake home game early in the year. In my opinion, the best case scenario would be a conference game. Obviously that isn't going to happen because everyone involved is or was too pigheaded to do this thing together (hindsight is 20/20). Because of the cupcake and payday factor, I think the next best option is every other year, and rotate venue.

Iowa State and Iowa can do it on a larger level, I wish we could see it happen here. And everyone hates each other I guess, but count me in the camp that even though you hate your rival, you can also make each other better.

You raise a great point. Colorado and Colorado State play every year even though they are in different conferences, but my guess is that it is easier to pull this off with FBS schedules. Any thoughts?

Get out the nickel.

Let's play!

Ahem! Considering the current bandied about "abusive and hostile" situation that has often been alleged by fans down South as well as the NCAA political consideration stand, don't you think playing for an "Indianhead" nickel (if the NCAA is to be consistent, and Lord knows they ain't), is really out of the question?

There are a lot of Bison fans on this site, they are also Sioux hockey fans. For either fan base to suggest that one program is superior to the other or has moved on is laughable. In five years once UND has become post-season eligible and has played the Big Sky, etc they wil be on equal footing. No one has "forgot" about anything. Some Bison fans can claim SDSU or UNI is their big football rival.....some UND fans will claim Montana State or Montana is their big rival in the future.....BS. Nothing gets the blood boiling on a beautiful fall day like UND/NDSU.

Ah, methinks here is a fan who's spot on and knows whereof he speaks. Very well put.

Exactly...we don't need NDSU and they don't need us to be successfull...Let's move on now. Then, just maybe then, the Fargo trolls will leave permanently! Long live the Sioux and the Big Sky!!!

Perhaps wishful thinking. I don't think the Fargo trolls will ever leave us permanently.

Ok, I can give an outside observer's perspective on the squabble you got going here. Since USD has a long history with both schools and also played both schools just last year I think I can give you a reasonable answer. Based on last year's play NDSU had the better team in 2010. As for the question who has the superior program the answer is neither one of you do. You both have strong programs with good tradition that most years put very good teams on the field.

Who benefits most from this game? Since UND joined the BSC, neither one of you gets more of a benefit or needs this game any more than the other. UND will be playoff eligible and be a member of a strong FCS conference, same as NDSU.

Playing this game annually now should be done for the benefit of the people of North Dakota and because it is a good regional non conference game that will sell out, create excitement and fan interest and is not a travel hassle for fans to get to. If NDSU doesn't want to play UND, I'm sure USD would gladly play the Sioux every year (I've got more on that subject, why does your AD keep blocking the UND/USD series? From what I've heard we've offered several different proposals to keep us playing each other and UND keeps shooting them down). As for the excuse of needing wins over patsy FCS teams to be playoff eligible, you answered your own question. If a loss to UND or vice versa to NDSU is the deciding factor in keeping you out of the playoffs then you didn't deserve to be there in the first place.

As for the trailblazer, who went first argument, who cares? So USD/UND went 5 years later, in the end we (USD) ended up in the exact same conference as the SU's and UND ended up in the Big Sky. Heck, you could actually make the argument that the U's took the better approach in waiting to see how this thing would all play out since UND ended up in the conference NDSU and SDSU coveted and USD had their pick of which conference they wanted. In the end we all ended up in the FCS, in quality conferences, and very soon all playoff eligible so it really doesn't matter anymore except to a bunch of internet chest thumpers.

It's always refreshing to get an outsider's point of view. In addition, it's a damn fine post.

My point had nothing to do with FBS games it had to do with FCS OOC games which proves my point. GT wants to save the 2 FCS "slots" for any FCS team that is NOT UND. By playing the lower end of the FCS even makes him look more a dumbass than anything. Pretty soon the pitchforks will come out when a Wagner team or a St. Francis pulls out the upset against NDSU.

If you want to come to Fargo every year, that spot could be yours. I didn't think so. Are you the AD paying the bills in Fargo? I didn't think so.

• Downvote 2