SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

I have been as critical as anyone of Faison and the Sioux FB schedules. The only reason he could be so conservative in his scheduling now with the BSC schedule locked up is he feels he can do better than the regional universities. That may be short sighted or maybe he can pull off some real surprises. Optimistically lets hope he can pull off some big name games. Otherwise not scheduling these 4 former NCC opponents could backfire for years. I hear he has been working to schedule Wisconsin for some time. Playing the Big 10 is going to get tougher and tougher with Nebraska in the fold as well as those Big 10 schools looking to upgrade their NC schedules. Time will tell, but as critical of Faison as I have been, he has pulled off the BSC entry and just maybe he has more to show us.

That will end when we go back on the H&A list.

Great Post!

Why is Mr Faison so scheduling challenged? Its not like there is any lack of really good choices for out of conference games? The Sioux should be playing schools like NDSU, USD, SDSU, UNI.

I agree; great post by Yote 53.

Overall, I think Faison's done a great job, but I don't understand the reluctance to schedule USD. Personally, I'm all for it on an annual basis. I've seen and enjoyed a ton of UND-NDSU games -- who can forget Jim K. outrunning the Bison D-backs for a TD? I have reservations about a renewal, though, as I find their fanbase increasingly tiresome. Nonetheless, playing the AC, SDSU, USD and maybe UNI with some regularity just makes too much sense not to happen.

Maybe time for a Siouxsports letter-writing/telephone-call/e mail campaign to convince Faison?

I guess I just figured UND didn't want to lock in anything with USD because they were pursuing the NDSU series. Totally understandable. What is not understandable is in 2012 when the Sioux play South Dakota Tech (School of Mines) yet leave USD off the schedule. I mean seriously? That makes no sense.

Keep in mind this is just what I heard on my end here and when I hear stuff it tends to be pretty accurate, if you know my track record on posting things. I'd like to hear the UND perspective if anyone can get that info. I think it is reasonable if the AD's just come out and make a statement as to why it won't happen (pursuing XYZ series, need home games, etc) instead of leaving us all hanging. From what I hear it's a no-brainer on our end and we're willing to continue the series.

I guess I just figured UND didn't want to lock in anything with USD because they were pursuing the NDSU series. Totally understandable. What is not understandable is in 2012 when the Sioux play South Dakota Tech (School of Mines) yet leave USD off the schedule. I mean seriously? That makes no sense.

Keep in mind this is just what I heard on my end here and when I hear stuff it tends to be pretty accurate, if you know my track record on posting things. I'd like to hear the UND perspective if anyone can get that info. I think it is reasonable if the AD's just come out and make a statement as to why it won't happen (pursuing XYZ series, need home games, etc) instead of leaving us all hanging. From what I hear it's a no-brainer on our end and we're willing to continue the series.

This is what I think makes most Sioux fans mad. You have a FCS OOC game that counts towards playoffs and you instead play SD Mines. WTF Faison???

Maybe there was a scheduling conflict. Who knows? I'd like tot hink we could play each other in one of the first 3 weekends of the season.

I would love to have a Dakota rotation with all 4 Dakota teams.

This is what I think makes most Sioux fans mad. You have a FCS OOC game that counts towards playoffs and you instead play SD Mines. WTF Faison???

Right now, South Dakota is scheduled to open with Colgate on Sept. 8, 2012. They have one open date. Why on earth would we refuse to open with USD on Aug. 30 and play Mines instead? Unbelievable if we had that opportunity and turned it down.

• 3 weeks later...

If he schedules DII/NAIA teams over USD then Houston we have a problem.

I would love to have a Dakota rotation with all 4 Dakota teams.

Couldn't find USD & SDSU's 2012, 2013 or 2014 schedules, but both UND and NDSU have open dates September 21, 2013 and September 13, 2014. On top of that, UND opens against SD School of Mines Thursday, August 30, 2012. NDSU is open that weekend. What is the delay in plugging USD, NDSU, SDSU and even UNI into those holes and engaging some old friends and rivals? UND does have a game vs USD this fall and SDSU in 2013. That could be the start of a nice out of conference rotation.

Couldn't find USD & SDSU's 2012, 2013 or 2014 schedules, but both UND and NDSU have open dates September 21, 2013 and September 13, 2014. On top of that, UND opens against SD School of Mines Thursday, August 30, 2012. NDSU is open that weekend. What is the delay in plugging USD, NDSU, SDSU and even UNI into those holes and engaging some old friends and rivals? UND does have a game vs USD this fall and SDSU in 2013. That could be the start of a nice out of conference rotation.

Seems pretty logical doesn't it? I think both schools AD's want to keep their options open in case a better deal comes along with a bigger payout, college FB is all about the money now you know. UND/NDSU games would also be a big money game, but not the same impact as a FBS game. I think in particular Taylor is thinking that way. Also, winning such a game is big, but losing, especially if you are NDSU would be traumatic.

Glad I can amuse you. Not scared, just realistic.

The fact is I am confident that if NDSU played UND this year, NDSU would win. But, being a competitor I realize any time you step on the field with a quality opponent in could result in a loss. With that in mind, it doesn't make sense for NDSU to play UND any time in the near future, because a loss would eliminate NDSU being viewed as the superior program.

This is the same reason Minnesota isn't happy about playing NDSU, are they scared? No. They just realize the negative press that comes with losing to a team that is viewed as inferior by the general public.

Honest question for you homer, have you seen NDSU play in the last couple of years?

Yes, I have. More than a few times.

Its easy to spout off on a message board about how good you think your team is. Talk is pretty cheap though and really means nothing. What tells it all though is when someone says how they are superior but than says they don't want to play the game. Your Minnesota example is pretty flawed as they have scheduled you 3 times, they even scheduled ndsu after they should have been beat twice. Doesn't seem like they are as concerned with the negative press as you want everyone to think. They say they are better and they are willing to prove it on the field. They aren't talking about what will happen if or when they get beat unlike yourself.

Yes, I have. More than a few times.

Its easy to spout off on a message board about how good you think your team is. Talk is pretty cheap though and really means nothing. What tells it all though is when someone says how they are superior but than says they don't want to play the game. Your Minnesota example is pretty flawed as they have scheduled you 3 times, they even scheduled ndsu after they should have been beat twice. Doesn't seem like they are as concerned with the negative press as you want everyone to think. They say they are better and they are willing to prove it on the field. They aren't talking about what will happen if or when they get beat unlike yourself.

NDSU doesn't want to play the game because what is the point anymore? I want them to play, the school doesn't probably for several reasons no one has listed on here. I'd guess one of them being they don't want it to be an annual game, wasting a yearly game on UND instead of playing either a FBS or high-level FCS (Georgia Southern backed out, Stephen F. Austin, etc) is not something NDSU wants to commit to.

Another reason, NDSU has done much better job recruiting than UND, say all you want about the 3-8 season, that team just sucked, don't know why, and I dont really care, they were just bad. That was the type of team that could have lost to UND, I still think they would have beat UND by a couple touchdowns, but you never know I guess. A loss to UND could turn a lot of recruits up North.

Yet another reason, joking mostly, but why allow a game in the Alerus to sell-out? We all know the only way that UND puts more than 8 or 9 thousand in there right now is if the Herd comes. ;)

In all seriousness however, both schools have a lot going on now, UND will be playing a 9 game conference right? NDSU schedules an FBS, a cupcake(sometimes two), and usually an upper-middle tier team. Each school will probably publicly say they want to play(UND more than publicly) but it just isn't in the cards. One of the two schools has been down to play ever since NDSU's jump to D-1, just never at the same time. I'd like to see the game played, but the only way that it probably happens is if UND cries to the Legislature to force it ;) or if they both qualify in the playoffs, in which case, I'd like to welcome you to the Fargodome. Don't get too offended when all you hear for 3 hours is Sioux Suck !@#$.

• Downvote 1

In all seriousness however, both schools have a lot going on now, UND will be playing a 9 game conference right? NDSU schedules an FBS, a cupcake(sometimes two), and usually an upper-middle tier team. Each school will probably publicly say they want to play(UND more than publicly) but it just isn't in the cards. One of the two schools has been down to play ever since NDSU's jump to D-1, just never at the same time. I'd like to see the game played, but the only way that it probably happens is if UND cries to the Legislature to force it ;) or if they both qualify in the playoffs, in which case, I'd like to welcome you to the Fargodome. Don't get too offended when all you hear for 3 hours is Sioux Suck !@#$.

Seems to me like it is NDSU that does most of the public whining when it comes to a North Dakota v. NDSU football game................ i.e. Gene Taylor whining about the Summit Leagues issue with the nickname, Gene Taylor whining about UND rejecting his every other year home-and-home offer, Gene Taylor trumpeting that he approached UND about replacing Georgia Southern for a date that UND had already had filled years in advance...................

Any talk of a UND-NDSU football game always ends with Jeff Kolpack interviewing Gene Taylor to get the latest reasons of why it won't work.................

NDSU doesn't want to play the game because what is the point anymore? I want them to play, the school doesn't probably for several reasons no one has listed on here. I'd guess one of them being they don't want it to be an annual game, wasting a yearly game on UND instead of playing either a FBS or high-level FCS (Georgia Southern backed out, Stephen F. Austin, etc) is not something NDSU wants to commit to.

Another reason, NDSU has done much better job recruiting than UND, say all you want about the 3-8 season, that team just sucked, don't know why, and I dont really care, they were just bad. That was the type of team that could have lost to UND, I still think they would have beat UND by a couple touchdowns, but you never know I guess. A loss to UND could turn a lot of recruits up North.

Yet another reason, joking mostly, but why allow a game in the Alerus to sell-out? We all know the only way that UND puts more than 8 or 9 thousand in there right now is if the Herd comes. ;)

Like I said, talk is cheap. If you truely thought your team was that much better for every other point to be true, you wouldn't worry about losing recruits. That is already starting to happen Your starting to sound like Gene Taylor with all those excuses.

We will have the same as NDSU 8 conference games an FBS and 2 OOC games. But you just said NDSU shouldn't waste a game on UND because its reserved for a high level team then later you said an FBS and 2 cupcake teams. Which is it? No UND but you will schedule Lafyette, or Wagner. Yep those are real money makers. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Isn't it good to see that the hatred between NDSU and UND is alive and flourishing despite the fact that we haven't played each other in years!

This is proof alone that the game needs to continue. We need to dust off that Nickel Trophy and let the Dundering Turd have a crack at it!

:lol:

• Upvote 1

This.

They've been shooting off their mouths for so long now about how they think they're sooooooooooooooooooo much better than UND. They don't have the courage to actually go out there and make an attempt to back up all of that boasting. They know that they could lose just as easily as they could win, and that one loss would leave them with egg all over their faces. The funny thing is they lost the last three Sioux/Bison games ever played, yet they are the ones with the swelled heads.

NDSU would tear UND apart right now. Simple fact regarding the talent each team has. But if NDSU did lose, it'd hurt recruiting bad. Give us one reason we should give up all of our superiority in the region? Yeah, NDSU did lose the last three games they played to UND, but if you looked at the product each team has been putting on the field since then you'd see that their is a reason the dome puts 17-19 thousand asses in the seats and UND has 6-8 thousand.

NDSU's OOC FCS games since 2008(playoff teams not included):

Austin Peay-home

Central Connecticut St.-home

at Sam Houston St

Wagner-home

Morgan St-home

South Dakota-home

Lafayette-home

Saint Francis (PA)-home

Where are these

high-level FCS Georgia Southern backed out, Stephen F. Austin, etc that NDSU reserves it 2 spots for
that they cannot waste it on UND?

NDSU would tear UND apart right now. Simple fact regarding the talent each team has. But if NDSU did lose, it'd hurt recruiting bad. Give us one reason we should give up all of our superiority in the region? Yeah, NDSU did lose the last three games they played to UND, but if you looked at the product each team has been putting on the field since then you'd see that their is a reason the dome puts 17-19 thousand asses in the seats and UND has 6-8 thousand.

Are you having a "small penis day" again? You seem to be having a lot of them lately. You know, there are "medicinal options" for curing that.

It's fine that you have them, just go have them somewhere else. Remember, size doesn't matter.

Thanks Mr. Buffalo.

Simple fact, tear apart? There is no such thing until the two teams actually play on the field. UND had some good games and some bad last year. NDSU did also. Overall I would expect that NDSU would have beat UND ON AVG last year, BUT AVG is not a given. Attendance is not a factor either. There were years that UND beat the Bison that the Bison might have been favored and the better team, but UND won. Face it Bison, the game is on the field, not in the polls, not in the chat rooms, not in the press and UND has been better team more often than the Bison on the field. Keep reading those press clippings and keep remembering the past Bison backers. Until Taylor puts his balls on the line and the two teams play it is all BS.

NDSU's OOC FCS games since 2008(playoff teams not included):

Austin Peay-home

Central Connecticut St.-home

at Sam Houston St

Wagner-home

Morgan St-home

South Dakota-home

Lafayette-home

Saint Francis (PA)-home

Where are thesethat they cannot waste it on UND?

vs Montana State

@ Kansas St

vs Montana

@ Iowa State

@ Montana

I can just about guarantee there will be more games with Montana State. Taylor offered UND a reasonable deal, every other year home and homes and your ad said no. Taylor isn't making excuses anymore, he just doesn't want a yearly game and it is hard to blame him when looking at our future schedules. He won't budge on that, the next AD won't budge on that, it doesn't make sense for NDSU or UND to play an annual game. One school basically gets stuck with just five home games every other year if that is the case.That isn't acceptable in Fargo and I doubt it is in GF either.

vs Montana State

@ Kansas St

vs Montana

@ Iowa State

@ Montana

I can just about guarantee there will be more games with Montana State. Taylor offered UND a reasonable deal, every other year home and homes and your ad said no. Taylor isn't making excuses anymore, he just doesn't want a yearly game and it is hard to blame him when looking at our future schedules. He won't budge on that, the next AD won't budge on that, it doesn't make sense for NDSU or UND to play an annual game. One school basically gets stuck with just five home games every other year if that is the case.That isn't acceptable in Fargo and I doubt it is in GF either.

My point had nothing to do with FBS games it had to do with FCS OOC games which proves my point. GT wants to save the 2 FCS "slots" for any FCS team that is NOT UND. By playing the lower end of the FCS even makes him look more a dumbass than anything. Pretty soon the pitchforks will come out when a Wagner team or a St. Francis pulls out the upset against NDSU.

My point had nothing to do with FBS games it had to do with FCS OOC games which proves my point. GT wants to save the 2 FCS "slots" for any FCS team that is NOT UND. By playing the lower end of the FCS even makes him look more a dumbass than anything. Pretty soon the pitchforks will come out when a Wagner team or a St. Francis pulls out the upset against NDSU.

That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read. Taylor will play UND, as long as your AD doesn't demand an annual game.

Attendance does not win games. Yeah, NDSU football draws higher attendance numbers... so what? Football is the #1 sport on campus at NDSU, while it is the #2 sport on campus at UND. The Fargodome seating capacity is greater than the seating capacity of the Alerus Center, and the F/M area has roughly double the population of the GF/EGF area. Based on all of those factors, NDSU football SHOULD draw higher attendance than UND football. However, it does not give them any superiority whatsoever. Head-to-head matchups are where superiority is earned, and UND won 10 of the last 13 ever played including the last three in a row. Regarding your assumption that NDSU would "tear UND apart right now", if by right now you mean the 2010 season I will concede that you are probably right. We had a pitiful 3-8 season in 2010, but let's not have such short memories. In 2009 the Sioux would have probably torn apart that pitiful 3-8 Bison team had they played. But I think we both know that the better team on paper does not always win on the field, and the Bison are afraid to back up all of their obnoxious boasting. The "superiority in the region" that you make reference to exists only in the minds of myopic Bison fans. The way Bison fans talk about their team you'd think they had won every I-AA national championship since they first became playoff eligible and multiple D2 championships in the last decade they competed at that level, when in reality they just finally hosted their first ever playoff game at a nearly 20 year old venue. Most overrated program in all of college football at any level in my opinion. They were great in the 80's through 1990, but they've been pretty average since then. I'll concede that they had two great seasons during their transitional period, but with no playoff eligiblity those seasons were pretty much meaningless.

Omaha is bigger than Lincoln too.

The Sioux also would not have beaten that terrible 3-8 bison team. UND played a bad schedule. NDSU played a tough conference schedule(not unlike what the sioux will be playing in the BSC)

You telling me that the Sioux recruiting classes have been even close to what NDSU has gotten in the last 5 years?

In 2000, LaMar Gordon carried that team to a national semifinal in D-2, a game against a team with I think the same record(as usual too lazy to research), played on a mudpit. That game should have been in the dome.

Yes, two great regular seasons, another awesome playoff run. Those two great regular seasons were quite possibly two of the greatest bison seasons ever. Had we been eligible, NDSU may(or may not have, which is more likely) have won a national championship with a team that was handicapped by D-2 recruiting.

I hope that the University of North Dakota gets better in football, its almost sad seeing how much better the Herd is right now in most sports, the rivalry is much better when both teams are relatively close. It makes the games more fun when one of the teams wins 30-28 or 21-17. But right now, even from a football coach who loves the Sioux, says even when the Herd has had a couple rough years, UND hasn't been even close in talent to NDSU since the Nickel game quit being played.