SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

I think Gene Taylor will stay away from the tough OOC teams and stick to the cupcakes.

Georgia Southern was booked this year but backed out, and Montana and Montana State are coming to the dome soon. Taylor was thinking about scheduling an NAIA school, but Faison has been snatching up all the local NAIA teams with mutliple year deals ;)

Georgia Southern was booked this year but backed out, and Montana and Montana State are coming to the dome soon. Taylor was thinking about scheduling an NAIA school, but Faison has been snatching up all the local NAIA teams with mutliple year deals ;)

Wagner, St. Francis, Western Carolina equals a lower seed NAIA team. I beat Sioux Falls could beat those schools.

Wagner, St. Francis, Western Carolina equals a lower seed NAIA team. I beat Sioux Falls could beat those schools.

Yeah, UND doesn't quite fit on NDSU's schedule with the likes of those teams. Personally, I'd rather have the Sioux go and play in the Fargo dome, but with the relationship the way it is I don't mind them going on the road to play Idaho, Texas Tech, Northern Illinois, Fresno State. It sucks that the home schedule looks the way it does, but there is absolutely no argument in the fact that UND has scheduled and played in tougher DI road venues than has NDSU.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I have. More than a few times.

Its easy to spout off on a message board about how good you think your team is. Talk is pretty cheap though and really means nothing. What tells it all though is when someone says how they are superior but than says they don't want to play the game. Your Minnesota example is pretty flawed as they have scheduled you 3 times, they even scheduled ndsu after they should have been beat twice. Doesn't seem like they are as concerned with the negative press as you want everyone to think. They say they are better and they are willing to prove it on the field. They aren't talking about what will happen if or when they get beat unlike yourself.

The Gophers schedule the Regional teams because they fill the stadium and THINK they should win the game .It's about the money they wouldn't get if the played an FCS school from somewhere else. I can't remember anyone (other than Sid Hartman and Punky Brewster) from the Gophers saying they are better and were willing to prove it. They are scared stiff of these games and will be until Kill gets them back up to speed.

So why is he turning it down now? Both teams are going to be on even ground with scholarships, conferences, and schedules. The first time they play and UND wins...that will be the end of the series. GT would rather play the Wagner's and the St. Francis of the FCS than a school 80 miles north of them that may actually draw a crowd. Has there been a decent FCS OOC team to see the Fargodome yet? Oh wait Robert Morris was there.

GT can afford to play the Wagners of the world as they still draw 16,000 + (I believe they had 17,000 for Lafayette). What does he get for palying the Sioux? An extra 2,000 people?? The Sioux on the other hand would go from 8,000 people to a full building and need this game alot more than NDSU does.

Yeah, UND doesn't quite fit on NDSU's schedule with the likes of those teams. Personally, I'd rather have the Sioux go and play in the Fargo dome, but with the relationship the way it is I don't mind them going on the road to play Idaho, Texas Tech, Northern Illinois, Fresno State. It sucks that the home schedule looks the way it does, but there is absolutely no argument in the fact that UND has scheduled and played in tougher DI road venues than has NDSU.

I would disagree with that. NDSU played a lot of road games in their transition as part of home and home series. They played at Georgia Southern, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Northwestern State, Nichols State, Weber State, Montana State, etc. along with the FBS schools (which they are 4 and 3 against, 2 and 2 against BSC schools). Some of those schools backed out of their end of the home and home, but NDSU played at all of them.

It just appears that in their last year of the transition, UND would rather schedule 3 NAIA schools than try for some home and homes against some FCS schools. Look at NDSU's schedule in their final year of transition and then look at UND's this year, then tell me which is tougher.

I would disagree with that. NDSU played a lot of road games in their transition as part of home and home series. They played at Georgia Southern, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Northwestern State, Nichols State, Weber State, Montana State, etc. along with the FBS schools (which they are 4 and 3 against, 2 and 2 against BSC schools). Some of those schools backed out of their end of the home and home, but NDSU played at all of them.

It just appears that in their last year of the transition, UND would rather schedule 3 NAIA schools than try for some home and homes against some FCS schools. Look at NDSU's schedule in their final year of transition and then look at UND's this year, then tell me which is tougher.

I was making the point that NDSU hasn't gone to a Texas Tech, or a Fresno State....Thank you for backing up my point....I guess....

I was making the point that NDSU hasn't gone to a Texas Tech, or a Fresno State....Thank you for backing up my point....I guess....

2006 NDSU vs. Minnesota: 62,845

2007 NDSU vs. Minnesota: 63,088

NDSU vs Iowa State: 48,831

NDSU vs Kansas: 48,417

UND vs. Texas Tech: 47,824

UND vs NIU: 18,046

UND vs Idaho: 11,466

Fresno State averaged 34,120 last year.

NDSU averaged over 3,000 more fans per game than Idaho in 2010.

2006 NDSU vs. Minnesota: 62,845

2007 NDSU vs. Minnesota: 63,088

NDSU vs Iowa State: 48,831

NDSU vs Kansas: 48,417

UND vs. Texas Tech: 47,824

UND vs NIU: 18,046

UND vs Idaho: 11,466

Fresno State averaged 34,120 last year

I think the point was the quality of the FBS opponent. NDSU (and these games are generally scheduled years in advance so it is basically out of their control) has played some very poor FBS programs. The 2007 Minnesota team was 119 out of 120 according to Massey if memory serves for example. Last years Kansas team was not much better. Central Michigan, who NDSU defeated to their credit, is hands down the most talented FBS program that NDSU has faced so far.

The 2009 Texas Tech team and the 2010 Northern Illinois team that North Dakota played were far better FBS programs than any FBS opponent that NDSU has played to date, save for perhaps Central Michigan..........................

I think the point was the quality of the FBS opponent. NDSU (and these games are generally scheduled years in advance so it is basically out of their control) has played some very poor FBS programs. The 2007 Minnesota team was 119 out of 120 according to Massey if memory serves for example. Last years Kansas team was not much better. Central Michigan, who NDSU defeated to their credit, is hands down the most talented FBS program that NDSU has faced so far.

The 2009 Texas Tech team and the 2010 Northern Illinois team that North Dakota played were far better FBS programs than any FBS opponent that NDSU has played to date, save for perhaps Central Michigan..........................

I'm not jumping into that argument. He mentioned playing in tougher DI venues than NDSU in a previous post. I guess I should've replied to that one instead.

I'm not jumping into that argument. He mentioned playing in tougher DI venues than NDSU in a previous post. I guess I should've replied to that one instead.

Its hard to put the Metrodome as a tough venue when half the crowd is for NDSU.

Yeah, I guess 8 National Championships compared to your 1 is not a big deal.

Good thing my Grandpa is still around to tell me about ndsu's glory days when they won NC. He tells me about them when he is telling me about the first TV broadcasts, the Great Depression, Prohibition and Babe Ruth. Some good stories about the good ole days.

Good thing my Grandpa is still around to tell me about ndsu's glory days when they won NC. He tells me about them when he is telling me about the first TV broadcasts, the Great Depression, Prohibition and Babe Ruth. Some good stories about the good ole days.

At least we have the good ole days? :D

At least we have the good ole days? :D

The latter 90s and early 2000s were pretty good years for UND, especially, 2001. You know, not to put a kabosh on the pissing match, because I think it's a lot of fun, and proves (despite what is said down south) that the rivalry is alive and well, but there are alot of teams at all levels that don't even have one National Championship. The fact that were having a debate about who's got more, I think, speaks highly of both programs. And once we get the two programs relatively on par again and back to the arms race of old, it will be a great day for all of North Dakota, as the two will drive each other to be better. There, now we can get back to whose dad can be the other's dad up. :silly:

The latter 90s and early 2000s were pretty good years for UND, especially, 2001. You know, not to put a kabosh on the pissing match, because I think it's a lot of fun, and proves (despite what is said down south) that the rivalry is alive and well, but there are alot of teams at all levels that don't even have one National Championship. The fact that were having a debate about whose got more, I think, speaks highly of both programs. And once we get the two programs relatively on par again and back to the arms race of old, it will be a great day for all of North Dakota, as the two will drive each other to be better. There, now we can get back to whose dad can be the other's dad up. :silly:

Very much agreed. My brother is an NDSU grad and we go back and forth, which is supposed to be what happens in a good rivalry. NDSU beats Minnesota...my brother calls me to rub it in....I reply....you beat the worst DI-A team in the country by a touchdown, a team that did not win a game in regulation that season....etc.

Hell...last year when everyone was telling me I should be a good North Dakotan and cheer for the Bison at Eastern Washington I jumped up in the air when Jensen fumbled away the season for NDSU at the one yard line....

I'm worried that the entire rivalry will only be talk......I would take UND losing 50-0 for five years just to have the game played again. Heck, hold it in the Fargo Dome, just start the game up again so the schools can continue to steal the Nickel Trophy from each other again..... :lol:

Someone tried to compare going to Texas Tech vs. going to Iowa State, the Metrodome, or Kansas......come on.....I'm biased...but its not close....

Very much agreed. My brother is an NDSU grad and we go back and forth, which is supposed to be what happens in a good rivalry. NDSU beats Minnesota...my brother calls me to rub it in....I reply....you beat the worst DI-A team in the country by a touchdown, a team that did not win a game in regulation that season....etc.

Hell...last year when everyone was telling me I should be a good North Dakotan and cheer for the Bison at Eastern Washington I jumped up in the air when Jensen fumbled away the season for NDSU at the one yard line....

I'm worried that the entire rivalry will only be talk......I would take UND losing 50-0 for five years just to have the game played again. Heck, hold it in the Fargo Dome, just start the game up again so the schools can continue to steal the Nickel Trophy from each other again..... :lol:

Someone tried to compare going to Texas Tech vs. going to Iowa State, the Metrodome, or Kansas......come on.....I'm biased...but its not close....

Did you jump in the air with glee or dismay? I just think it's a shame that there's a whole generation or more out there who have no idea what a great, fun, intense, bitter rivalry it once was, where things were settled ON THE FIELD.

• Upvote 1

Did you jump in the air with glee or dismay? I just think it's a shame that there's a whole generation or more out there who have no idea what a great, fun, intense, bitter rivalry it once was, where things were settled ON THE FIELD.

Ohhh....it was one hundred percent glee. And while my brother tried to explain why it wasn't a fumble I supported the NCAA ruling of the call like a blind Eastern Washington fan.... :blush:

I was thinking of the last Nickel Trophy game played between the schools....WHAT A GAME!!!!!

A little trivia for you: Cheat if you want, but see how you do without a crutch.

A) Who won the game? (This is easy for you Bison Fans)

B) Who scored the first touchdown of the game? Team, and player please.

C) Who were the starting QB's for both teams?

D) What was the score of the game?

E) What player scored the game winning TD in overtime?

F) What player broke his leg before the last play of the game.

G) Who was the last player to touch the football in the Bison-Sioux Rivalry?

H) Who was the last player to make a tackle in the Bison-Sioux Rivalry?

Pretty easy....but wow....what a great game that day....Someone should post it on youtube if you have the highlights....

I hate to agree, but on that day the Metrodome was hardly hostile for the Bison. The Gopher fans were a tepid bunch, the NDSU fans were very loud as this was our bowl game. It was not hostile.

If you are talking hostile environments, I don't think Idaho or Northern Illinois were any more hostile than a MVFC road game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I hate to agree, but on that day the Metrodome was hardly hostile for the Bison. The Gopher fans were a tepid bunch, the NDSU fans were very loud as this was our bowl game. It was not hostile.

Of course it was hostile....towards the Gophers!

I was at the game the year before that was decided by the blocked field goal..........Gopher Fans around me were in utter dismay that their team was treated like the road team in that football game. Or the fact that their team wore the ugliest throwback uniforms I've ever seen....probably both... :lol: