SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Faison has more realistic expectations than some fans. \

A major reason fans have such high expectations for UND football is because of what NDSU has been doing. UND and NDSU football will always be connected in some way, shape, or form, no matter what anybody says. There is just too much history and tradition between the two programs. I don't expect Faison to understand that completely, since he is an athletic executive from out-of-state trying to produce revenue. And, revenue is produced when there is large support from fans; that is, the Alerus is sold-out each and every week. I've stated it before and I'll state it again, there are enough fans that are neither loyal to UND or NDSU that if UND competes at the same level as NDSU, more fans will show up at the Alerus. I was born and raised in North Dakota and I know for a fact that is the way it is along the Red River Valley. If UND puts a good product on the field, interested SPORT/FOOTBALL fans, not UND or NDSU fans, will attend. Since NDSU has been putting on the better show for quite some time now, attendance has dropped for UND while the expectations have risen.

Is 4-6 better or worse than 3-8?

We lost two conference games by over 38 points, we couldnt run the ball or stop the run, and we had a losing record against DI competition. Last season was a failure if you expect UND to be a playoff team. Hopefully next season is different.

• Upvote 1

A major reason fans have such high expectations for UND football is because of what NDSU has been doing. UND and NDSU football will always be connected in some way, shape, or form, no matter what anybody says. There is just too much history and tradition between the two programs. I don't expect Faison to understand that completely, since he is an athletic executive from out-of-state trying to produce revenue. And, revenue is produced when there is large support from fans; that is, the Alerus is sold-out each and every week. I've stated it before and I'll state it again, there are enough fans that are neither loyal to UND or NDSU that if UND competes at the same level as NDSU, more fans will show up at the Alerus. I was born and raised in North Dakota and I know for a fact that is the way it is along the Red River Valley. If UND puts a good product on the field, interested SPORT/FOOTBALL fans, not UND or NDSU fans, will attend. Since NDSU has been putting on the better show for quite some time now, attendance has dropped for UND while the expectations have risen.

I was born and raised here also, I understand the dynamics. I also know that NDSU had one of the best transitions of any school in the last several decades. Holding UND to that same standard, when UND had other issues to deal with like the problems that developed with the nickname, makes for an impossible standard for anyone. Knowledgeable administrators aren't going to make decisions based on trying to live up to the NDSU standard on the same timeline. The football team will continue to improve, will compete for titles and the playoffs soon, and will be competitive long term. If the team does not improve, a change will be made. Attendance and interest will improve as the team improves. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

We lost two conference games by over 38 points, we couldnt run the ball or stop the run, and we had a losing record against DI competition. Last season was a failure if you expect UND to be a playoff team. Hopefully next season is different.

Expecting UND to make the playoffs in the first year out of transition was not realistic. Therefore I don't consider it a failure. It was a stepping stone to long term success.

I just don't want to settle for mediocrity. The last few years have been that to me and I'm tired of watching it. I realize we were in the transition stage but that's no excuse for not even being competitive. I really hope this years team can turn the corner and compete for a playoff spot!

• Upvote 3

I just don't want to settle for mediocrity. The last few years have been that to me and I'm tired of watching it. I realize we were in the transition stage but that's no excuse for not even being competitive. I really hope this years team can turn the corner and compete for a playoff spot!

Compete for what? Last year was the only year to compete for playoffs before that it was for ONLY a GWFC title which UND won in 2011. UND's transition was pretty much parallel with SDSU's transition, including losing to a sub DI team (which is shameful, but you get over it). Yes NDSU kicked ass in transition but it still took them 3 years to make the playoffs when they became eligible...including going 3-8 and having fans calling for Bohl's head. So sit back, take a breath, and be patient.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I see Gods Gift to FCS Football just resorted to paying 180K to D2 Ferris State to finally get a home game. :whistling:

On the bright side, new FCS playoff rules allow it to be a counter. Though I will have trouble staying through this game in its entirety.

On the bright side, new FCS playoff rules allow it to be a counter. Though I will have trouble staying through this game in its entirety.

This has to be a new rule effective starting this fall. As for the game, hey it gets fans in the seats (until its 70-0). So now are UND and NDSU going to schedule the likes of Augustana, Mankato and St. Cloud State?

I see Gods Gift to FCS Football just resorted to paying 180K to D2 Ferris State to finally get a home game. :whistling:

Didn't they make fun of us for playing SDSoM's last season? Funny how that comes back to haunt them, if Ferris State pulls a Sioux Falls and beats the Bison...Wow talk about karma. GO FERRIS!!!!

• Upvote 1

Most NDSU fans don't want to play UND...this guy's reason is down right funny!!!

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?30410-NDSU-UND-matchup-in-15-and-17/page6

1) UND ended the rivalry. They should have to suffer with no fan support with NDSU enjoying all the attention and glory.

B) Faison has turned down Gene Taylor's offers to play UND as Faison beleives that UND should only play the Bison if it includes a game in Grand Forks. NDSU gets two non-conference, non-FBS games per year. Why would NDSU give up a home game to travel TO Grand Forks?

III) Playing UND will not benefit NDSU in any way. Win, and we're only doing what is expected. Lose, and the season is lost in the eyes of the casual fan.

Make sense?

Honestly, tons of UND fans have turned into Bison fans and I guarantee they wouldn't have if the rivalry was still being played. If course the hardcore fans will never switch, but there just aren't many hardcore UND football fans left. There are TONS if UND grads that are Bison football fans. Playing NDSU would reinvigorate their fan base and provide a ton of exposure for UND football.

Fine don't play UND...enjoy Ferris State.

D2 schools are now FCS counters?? Since when? It certainly must have changes recently.

Yes,they they made it a rule just last week. It's called the "Bison/Beck rule". NDSU can schedule D11 State and not hurt their playoff chances and Bohl can suspend Travis Beck for a meaningless game and appear to be tough on violence.

Yes,they they made it a rule just last week. It's called the "Bison/Beck rule". NDSU can schedule D11 State and not hurt their playoff chances and Bohl can suspend Travis Beck for a meaningless game and appear to be tough on violence.

Kind of like your hockey players? Ferris is a stronger team than your first game.

Kind of like your hockey players? Ferris is a stronger team than your first game.

OMG - just admit that you had to settle this year - it's okay you just look stupider trying to put lipstick on a pig.

UND announces future football games with Washington, Utah....FU announced Ferris State. We're happy with our schedule and you are obviously happy with yours.

• Upvote 2

LOL. Dan just resorted to defending how "strong" the D2 team is they scheduled. Now that is some classic all-time stuff right there.

• Upvote 1