SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

That is so true because we own you in your building.

Thats cute. Last time they played in the dome....I was 10 years old.

You sure about that? YSU didn't get killed in 2011 and ISU didn't get killed in 2012. That's why they play the game.

You cherry pick two games that NDSU gave the games away in? Is that really how you want UND to win against NDSU?

NDSU fans always say UND isn't in the same building. They said that about volleyball. We have beat them 2 years in a row. We beat them in women's basketball last year. 2 years ago they laughed at UND on how weak UND was in men's basketball. We beat NDSU in basketball that year. Last year NDSU beat UND in men's basketball, but were missing half our team. Next year UND will beat NDSU in both men's and women's basketball and volleyball too. You can put that in the bank. If we played them in football who knows what would happen, they are afraid to play us. The football game in the future would be a LOT closer than most people think. Bring it on.

Mind telling us the +/- on the 3 years of basketball scores? Something like +40 in favor of NDSU? UND got absolutely blasted in football by teams that NDSU would have absolutely embarassed.

That's right when UND starts to kick ass in the FCS...that's NDSU's cue to move to the FBS.

If UND starts to kick ass in the FCS, it's probably because the few FCS powers that remain are already gone.

You cherry pick two games that NDSU gave the games away in? Is that really how you want UND to win against NDSU?

Mind telling us the +/- on the 3 years of basketball scores? Something like +40 in favor of NDSU? UND got absolutely blasted in football by teams that NDSU would have absolutely embarassed.

If UND starts to kick ass in the FCS, it's probably because the few FCS powers that remain are already gone.

NDSU fans love to cherry pick too. Since 1960 whatever NDSU leads the series against UND, and blah blah blah. Taylor won't schedule UND in football because he sees what is happening in other sports (volleyball, basketball, baseball) he saw his 5 year head start gone in those sports. Too bad the FCS playoffs won't keep UND away from NDSU no matter how Taylor would like it to happen. What happens if NDSU loses (besides total meltdown at Bisonville), you would have recruits looking at UND instead of NDSU, you would have more pressure on NDSU to schedule UND to "even the score". It would be like it was from 1993-2003...the decade of dominance for UND football over NDSU. 10 UND wins to 3 NDSU wins (and only 1 win in the Fargodome for SU).

NDSU fans love to cherry pick too. Since 1960 whatever NDSU leads the series against UND, and blah blah blah. Taylor won't schedule UND in football because he sees what is happening in other sports (volleyball, basketball, baseball) he saw his 5 year head start gone in those sports. Too bad the FCS playoffs won't keep UND away from NDSU no matter how Taylor would like it to happen. What happens if NDSU loses (besides total meltdown at Bisonville), you would have recruits looking at UND instead of NDSU, you would have more pressure on NDSU to schedule UND to "even the score". It would be like it was from 1993-2003...the decade of dominance for UND football over NDSU. 10 UND wins to 3 NDSU wins (and only 1 win in the Fargodome for SU).

Lots...LOTS of work to do to get there first.

Lots...LOTS of work to do to get there first.

But remember NDSU made it to the playoffs in its first...nope second....nope third yep third year after transition. With the aftermath of transition gone, an actual DI schedule (no DII's), and no FBS games...I believe this is the year UND gets into the playoffs.

Confirms the fact that some of these Bison posters are just kids. Sort of figured that.
  • Upvote 1

But remember NDSU made it to the playoffs in its first...nope second....nope third yep third year after transition. With the aftermath of transition gone, an actual DI schedule (no DII's), and no FBS games...I believe this is the year UND gets into the playoffs.

I sure we make the playoffs, it's actually a little embarrasing not to make the playoffs now that we're eligible. An FBS win would be nice at some point in the future. We definitely need that signature D1 win.

1960 is the year NDAC became NDSU.

NDSU vs. UND in other sports is the reason Gene won't schedule? Really? Those sports allow for a lot more scheduling flexibility...and NDSU has absolutely crushed UND in basketball in 2 of the past 3 years. Volleyball? Sucks to lose to UND, but at the end of the day, its volleyball. Baseball? They split a series this year I think?

Seems to me you are assume that things will go back to being the 1990's. Times are different. You think Chris Mussman is the answer to catching up to NDSU in football? I think everyone is aware that the playoffs will force a matchup at some point. Almost a guarantee when that happens it is in Fargo, in probably the most hostile venue in the FCS, with very few tickets available for UND fans.

NDSU vs. UND in other sports is the reason Gene won't schedule? Really? Those sports allow for a lot more scheduling flexibility...and NDSU has absolutely crushed UND in basketball in 2 of the past 3 years. Volleyball? Sucks to lose to UND, but at the end of the day, its volleyball. Baseball? They split a series this year I think?

Seems to me you are assume that things will go back to being the 1990's. Times are different. You think Chris Mussman is the answer to catching up to NDSU in football? I think everyone is aware that the playoffs will force a matchup at some point. Almost a guarantee when that happens it is in Fargo, in probably the most hostile venue in the FCS, with very few tickets available for UND fans.

What was the outcome the first time UND played in the hostile Fargodome? And didn't Roger Thomas catch up to Rocky and the mighty Bison? You can't stay at the top forever.

While I don't disagree the first match up will happen in the playoffs, its not an absolute given it happens in Fargo. FU will probably be a top seed this year with all the experience coming back but that will not be a given every year after.

While I don't disagree the first match up will happen in the playoffs, its not an absolute given it happens in Fargo. FU will probably be a top seed this year with all the experience coming back but that will not be a given every year after.

What??? Liar!!! NDSU will always be the top seed until the end of their time in the FCS. Gene Taylor will never let this school go to the dumps like in the mid to late 90's. lol!!!!

What was the outcome the first time UND played in the hostile Fargodome? And didn't Roger Thomas catch up to Rocky and the mighty Bison? You can't stay at the top forever.

Jesus Darell, stop living in the past. We haven't done !@#$ in the last 10 years! You sound like a whiny little kid.

Jesus Darell, stop living in the past. We haven't done !@#$ in the last 10 years! You sound like a whiny little kid.

What's your problem? Last 10 years??? 2003-2013 we played for a national title, made a transition into DI and got into a top rated conference. You sound like a Bison fan.

Comparing the Fargodome from even 5-10 years ago to now is a bad idea, much less 20 years ago. Completely different things. Fewer tickets available for people now than then.

The team willing to pay more gets the home game unless the other team is seeded. Only 5 seeds. It is going to more often than not result in NDSU receiving the game at home.

I just tired of Darell's constant rants on every website. The fact is our only accomplishment was losing a D2 championship game exactly 10 years ago. I'm sorry if I expect more from my team!

2012 was the first year in Division I for UND. If you expected them to win a national championship you are delusional. The 5 years before that UND was in transition. If you thought they were going to win a national title during that time you are ignorant since they weren't even going to get into the tournament no matter how many games they won. And the last 4 years in Division II they made the national tournament all 4 times, losing in the title game once and the semi-finals once. Not exactly a horrible record.
  • Upvote 3

NDSU is clearly the better team right now. They have been for at least 10 years. No one is debating that. This debate is not about who has a better team right now. NDSU will win that argument every time. The question is whether they should schedule a game against each other. Now you can go back and forth about who benefits from the game more. But the question is should they resume the series. It all comes down to this. NDSU has more to lose in this game than UND. In NDSU presidents/AD's/fans/players/coaches/etc. , they believe that they are the far superior team. I don't blame them. They are the two time defending champion and have beaten several FBS team over the years. They are hot!! If they played the game, 9 times out of 10, NDSU would win. But what if the next time is that one time that UND wins? Imagine how that would affect the president/AD/Fans/players/coaches/etc at NDSU? Not saying it would take away all they have accomplished the last decade, but it would be a monumental blow to the program.

Gene Taylor does not want this to happen. He is not scheduling the game because doesn't think that NDSU can beat UND. He is not scheduling the game because there is that chance that UND could beat NDSU. And that is the last thing that they want. If they schedule the game, there is a chance UND wins. If they don't schedule the game, there is a zero percent chance they lose. And Taylor would have the 0% chance they lose than even a 1%.

• Upvote 2

There's nothing wrong with bringing up past games. Think about it, what's the point of piss pounding someone if you can't gloat about it for the next 20 years.

When we meet in the playoffs, we'll see what happens, and until then, who cares? I just wish this subject would go away until then.

2012 was the first year in Division I for UND. If you expected them to win a national championship you are delusional. The 5 years before that UND was in transition. If you thought they were going to win a national title during that time you are ignorant since they weren't even going to get into the tournament no matter how many games they won. And the last 4 years in Division II they made the national tournament all 4 times, losing in the title game once and the semi-finals once. Not exactly a horrible record.

Well, if you consider 2012 being our first and only DI season by not considering the transition, then we failed. We were under .500, couldn't run the ball, and couldn’t stop the run. As far as the transition, UND did not do anything. They looked average at best. Although we can make excuses and state UND had an unusually difficult transition, which I’m not necessarily arguing, the bottom line is that UND did not produce during the transition years. They lost to Sioux Falls and almost lost another one to them, and they didn’t put together a single 9+ win season with schedules littered with DII teams. Anyone who says UND accomplished something during the DI era is delusional - the teams were all average at best. There is nothing wrong with being honest when assessing teams - even if it happens to be the team and school you support. Hopefully the 2013 season is the season UND can get back to what they did towards the end of their DII era, because if they can not, patience will be running thin for the Mussman regime.

• Upvote 1

Well, if you consider 2012 being our first and only DI season by not considering the transition, then we failed. We were under .500, couldn't run the ball, and couldn’t stop the run. As far as the transition, UND did not do anything. They looked average at best. Although we can make excuses and state UND had an unusually difficult transition, which I’m not necessarily arguing, the bottom line is that UND did not produce during the transition years. They lost to Sioux Falls and almost lost another one to them, and they didn’t put together a single 9+ win season with schedules littered with DII teams. Anyone who says UND accomplished something during the DI era is delusional - the teams were all average at best. There is nothing wrong with being honest when assessing teams - even if it happens to be the team and school you support. Hopefully the 2013 season is the season UND can get back to what they did towards the end of their DII era, because if they can not, patience will be running thin for the Mussman regime.

First year as a full member of FCS, first year as a member of the Big Sky, and UND finished in the middle of the pack. I don't consider that a failure. It also isn't a great success. It is about what I expected for the first year out of transition. I look for improvement over the next couple of years. As far as the transition goes, it was meaningless. The purpose was to prepare for a higher level. They came out with a lot of young players that appear to be talented, so they should be prepared to succeed during the next few years.

I'm not sure who has claimed that UND has accomplished a lot in DI, other than hockey. This is still the first full school year. Most of the teams, including football, have shown they can be competitive at times, and they have all shown that they have a lot of room to improve. If they continue to improve, Mussman will be fine. Faison has more realistic expectations than some fans. He knows that you aren't normally ultra successful at the new level right out of transition. He will be looking for improvement from year to year. If the football team continues to improve, they will compete for a title and for trips to the playoffs very soon. It could be this year if some pieces come together.

First year as a full member of FCS, first year as a member of the Big Sky, and UND finished in the middle of the pack. I don't consider that a failure.

Losing record. 4-6 vs. D-I competition. Two complete and total embarassments against EWU and Montana State. You are right though, that could change and UND could become more competitive, but what if Muss continues to hover around the 5-8 win mark from year to year? Do you keep him around.

Losing record. 4-6 vs. D-I competition. Two complete and total embarassments against EWU and Montana State. You are right though, that could change and UND could become more competitive, but what if Muss continues to hover around the 5-8 win mark from year to year? Do you keep him around.

Is 4-6 better or worse than 3-8?
  • Upvote 3