SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 Football Season

siouxftball10

relax, it's just the time of the year for "coach speak." But, if none of the 4 is going to clearly separate themselves from the others in practice situations, the only way to see who might be the best gamer, is to actually play in a game.

I agree that it is definitely too early to buy into what the coaches and/or fans are saying; however, the thought of an open quarterback competition occurring during live games is rather unexpected. I would like to believe the coaching staff will have a fairly good understanding of their football team by the time Drake comes to town.

So Mussman says 3 quarterbacks, if not all 4, will likely play in the first three to four games according to SFI...has he lost his mind?

It worked for the '82 Dolphins....Ever heard of WoodStrock? David Woodley and Don Strock took the team to a Super Bowl. Of course Dan Marino was drafted 3 months after the SB loss to the Redskins. So maybe it didn't workout to well, but relax everyone still 3 weeks til Drake and a lot can happen until then.

I think I opened a can of worms with the secondary talk....alright! :lol:

Didn't seem like the Sioux blitzed a ton last year because they were afraid to leave man on man coverage in the secondary. But like the wise Sicatoka said this left for QB's with way too much time to pick apart a young secondary. So what do you do.....do you blitz more to try and disrupt a QB's time in the pocket, or do you drop more men into the secondary in an attempt to have more in the pass coverage package?

Where is Scotty Schultz when you need him? Or Digger....Digger was great at Blitzing the A or B gap when it was called for.

OK, so with no rush and the corners up the receivers bust by the coverage and score.

Instead, with no rush and the corners off the receivers catch the under routes and probably get tackled.

In one system one play and it's done; in the other approach you force the other team to execute six to nine successful plays before scoring, and maybe the other team can't pull it off and punts.

I know which approach I'd take with a young, inexperienced group.

You must like it when teams go into a "prevent" defense too

I hear your point, but giving up 10 yards a play anytime our opponents want isn't my kind of defe se

I wish we'd get up In someone's grill once in a while

Last Year it felt like the whole game was on prevent mode

So what do you do.....do you blitz more to try and disrupt a QB's time in the pocket, or do you drop more men into the secondary in an attempt to have more in the pass coverage package?

There are three phases to every pass:

- the launch

- the transit

- the receipt

Interrupt any one of the three and the pass is unsuccessful.

Honestly, not many passes are disrupted in transit (meaning knocked down in flight).

So normally you're left to disrupt the receipt or the launch. To disrupt the receipt you have to be, well, you have to be close enough to the receiver to disrupt (separate ball from) him.

So you're left with the launch. If you don't do much to interrupt the launch you're left with offensive errors being the only thing working in the defense's favor. And if as a defense you're depending on offensive errors you're really not controlling what's yours to control, specifically, interruptions to the launcher.

You must like it when teams go into a "prevent" defense too

I hear your point, but giving up 10 yards a play anytime our opponents want isn't my kind of defe se

I wish we'd get up In someone's grill once in a while

Last Year it felt like the whole game was on prevent mode

I have no problem with the corners being off and giving up 10 yards on a play ... as long as the team is attempting to disrupt the launching end of the pass.

Last year it was like every blitz package disappeared from the book.

I like it when opposing QBs leave Alerus Center knowing how many lights are on the ceiling (because they've had time on their back to count them ;) ).

There are three phases to every pass:

- the launch

- the transit

- the receipt

Interrupt any one of the three and the pass is unsuccessful.

Honestly, not many passes are disrupted in transit (meaning knocked down in flight).

So normally you're left to disrupt the receipt or the launch. To disrupt the receipt you have to be, well, you have to be close enough to the receiver to disrupt (separate ball from) him.

So you're left with the launch. If you don't do much to interrupt the launch you're left with offensive errors being the only thing working in the defense's favor. And if as a defense you're depending on offensive errors you're really not controlling what's yours to control, specifically, interruptions to the launcher.

Gosh I miss having Bubba Schweigert as the defensive coordinator. You talk about a blitz happy guy who made sure that a QB knew when they played the Sioiux. Or like you would say, he liked to interrupt the "Launch". :)

I have no problem with the corners being off and giving up 10 yards on a play ... as long as the team is attempting to disrupt the launching end of the pass.

Last year it was like every blitz package disappeared from the book.

I like it when opposing QBs leave Alerus Center knowing how many lights are on the ceiling (because they've had time on their back to count them ;) ).

Do not foget you are talking about the sioux who are known for their goal line stands. Including so against south dakota, and Cal . the last few years. The coaching staff knows how to get the defense back on its feet, and hopw to train the new. As for the QB . We have a few weeks lets just wait to see what the young QBS can learn.

So what do you do.....do you blitz more to try and disrupt a QB's time in the pocket, or do you drop more men into the secondary in an attempt to have more in the pass coverage package?

Almost any college QB can find a receiver if he has 4 seconds or more to make a read, if your defensive line can't force him to release before that time then he will pick you apart no matter how many people you drop into coverage...somebody will find a seam eventually. So if your D-line can't put pressure on, you have to send more people, it's that simple. And that means sometimes linebackers and sometimes defensive backs, which means people are going to be put on islands with one-on-one outside routes and they're going to have to hump up and cover it. I would rather have a QB running for his life and occasionally finding someone open downfield who lost his defender for a fairly large gain than watching him stand tall in the pocket for 10 seconds and hitting a RB 15 yards down field or throwing quick outs to WR because the DB's are playing 10 yards off every play...that is bad football.

And in response to the next argument, if you have both defensive lineman who can't pressure the QB AND defensive backs who can't cover wideouts one-on-one...then maybe the problem is more in the recruitment than the gameplan.

Almost any college QB can find a receiver if he has 4 seconds or more to make a read, if your defensive line can't force him to release before that time then he will pick you apart no matter how many people you drop into coverage...somebody will find a seam eventually. So if your D-line can't put pressure on, you have to send more people, it's that simple. And that means sometimes linebackers and sometimes defensive backs, which means people are going to be put on islands with one-on-one outside routes and they're going to have to hump up and cover it. I would rather have a QB running for his life and occasionally finding someone open downfield who lost his defender for a fairly large gain than watching him stand tall in the pocket for 10 seconds and hitting a RB 15 yards down field or throwing quick outs to WR because the DB's are playing 10 yards off every play...that is bad football.

And in response to the next argument, if you have both defensive lineman who can't pressure the QB AND defensive backs who can't cover wideouts one-on-one...then maybe the problem is more in the recruitment than the gameplan.

Which is what we've seen as of late....

• Upvote 1

Maybe this is comparing apples to oranges, but it seems odd to me that the coaches have said that it was up to Dominique Hawkins if he wanted to make the move to safety or not, and after he tried it in the spring, he was asked if he wanted to continue down that path. Also it was said that the coaches wanted to remove Dan Hendrickson from kickoff coverage to preserve his body on defense, which was met with "no way" by Hendrickson. You love that attitude, but it makes you wonder who is running the show. I guess, I don't know to what extent that Hakstol talked to Marto, Davidson, Genoway, Gleason on their position switches, but ultimately he moved them for the betterment of the team and I don't know that the players had the decision in their hands. Maybe it is nitpicking a bit, but if a move needs to be made for the team to be better, it doesn't hurt to talk to the player first, but in the end it should be what the coaches feel is best. The coaches certainly saw Hawkins in spring ball, and if having him at safety utilized his abilities and made the team better then case closed. Perhaps they wanted to give the players the perception that they had a say in the matter and in the end they would have put their foot down, in which case -- nevermind!

• Upvote 1

I was able to attend the UC-Davis game last year and I don't knowi if it was the offensive scheme or the QBs, but the Sioux didn't seem to be able to move the ball. Goska played the first half and was not effective. Hendrickson came in in the third quarter and seemed to move the ball better, but made some mistakes. If I remember correctly, Hendrickson was moved back to QB after Landry got hurt, so Marcus didn't have a lot of practice at QB.

If Goska looked ineffective due to the style of offense being played, hopefully the change from the pistol will be helpful. If the problem was something else, hopefully Bradley is the answer to the last year's offensive woes.

My hope, Bradley #1, Goska #2 and put Hendrickson in at a slot and get him the ball, as he definitely is a playmaker.

• Upvote 1

There was an article in the GFH today about the receiving corps. Whatever happened to Isaac Carrasco.from Dallas? I believe he was a redshirt last year and I don't see his name on the roster this year.

Someone on the board mentioned he left the team, but also hinted that it wasn't big deal as maybe he wasn't as good as expected.

Do not foget you are talking about the sioux who are known for their goal line stands. Including so against south dakota, and Cal . the last few years.

We've always been able to pull off a few goal line stands; it's true.

The secondary doesn't have to play off the line so far because there's no threat of getting burned deep... giving them proper positioning to defend the pass on a short field. And our rush defense will generally hold their own anyway.

I think the short field contributes the lion share of the goal line defensive success; at least more than motivational tactics by the staff, anyway.

But hey... my glass is half empty. ;)

There was an article in the GFH today about the receiving corps. Whatever happened to Isaac Carrasco.from Dallas? I believe he was a redshirt last year and I don't see his name on the roster this year.

Isaac is no longer with the team.

What about Tyhry Ivery, I thought he would be in the mix and worth mentioning in that article, what gives?

UND picked fifth in Great West

2011 Great West Conference Preseason Football Poll

1. Southern Utah (2) 20 pts.

2. Cal Poly (2) 19 pts.

3. UC Davis (1) 17 pts.

4. South Dakota 13 pts.

5. North Dakota 6 pts.

Tough to argue with this predication based upon the fact that UND was 0-4 in the conference last year, was last in scoring offense AND scoring defense in conference games, lost Murray early, and has a questionable, to say the least, quarterback situation right now.

Definately not Lakes. I'm just trying to figure out how last year their was "crazy speed" and now this year picked to finish last. Did they all quit the team or transfer? What ever happened to La Bamba?

See post 171 above to answer you question.

Bamba was kicked off our team. Violated team rules. Our disciplinary actions taken at UND aren't tied to a players talent level like it is a little further south. Thanks for your interest in UND football.

• Upvote 3