SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 Football Season

siouxftball10

Oh come on guys, I get it, this is a Sioux board but let's not forget who offered an every other year deal. Yes, it was Gene Taylor and UND said no. Now UND and their fans seem to understand the every other year offer since you're in a conference with more than four other teams. Oh and for the record, I could care less as well but damn it would be fun. I, like most Nodaks have good friends who support both schools and back in the day it was one big party leading up to the game. Lots of trash talk, but all in good fun. In fact I'm willing to bet that if you took most Bison and Sioux fans from these boards and put them next to each other at a tailgate everyone, well minus a few select posters on both sides, would have a blast. Sorry to bust up your Gene bashing fest, please feel free to continue.

I was only partially joking when I typed it. ;) I think everyone understands the scheduling. It was an opportunity to poke the man who's already had 3-4 excuses on why scheduling couldn't be done when everyone really knows he just doesn't want to schedule the game cause of what happened in '03-'04. Not the nickname or the conference or the all ready full schedules, its about the past and I'm fine with that. Its just funny watching the excuses pile up. Until than its just comparing two teams that don't play. No way to prove who is better. That was really the point of my post.

P.S. I agree with you on the tailgate party. It would and will be fun when it happens. And everyone who says they have moved on will be the first in line to buy tickets. :lol:

UND FOOTBALL: Miller ready to have impact

A college football field isn't usually a friendly habitat for 158-pound true freshmen, but Jake Miller managed to make himself right at home at the University of North Dakota last season.

After a solid season from the former Bismarck High standout, the Fighting Sioux are expecting bigger things from their little running back.

"This year in spring ball he just did a great job," said coach Chris Mussman, who was in Bismarck on Tuesday for the Sioux Caravan. "He's very solid at the No. 2 and pushing Mitch Sutton as the No. 1 guy.

"... Great kid, hard-working guy," Mussman added. "I've been very impressed with his first year at UND."

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Siouxans--

For anyone interested, Drake defeated an All-Star team from Mexican colleges last week in Tanzania. That's right: they played Mexicans in Africa. We like to burn jet fuel.

Healthy players who made the trip got to play. And #3 quarterback Nick Ens played most of the game, because of injuries to the guys listed ahead of him. Last year's starting QB, Mike Piatkowski, suffered another concussion...I would not put money on his return this fall. Ens, a redshirt freshman, is Drake's QB of the future...he may leapfrog into a starting role.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After last season it is fair to think that assessment this is unrealistic. However with solid recruiting, returning experience, and hopefully a solid qb that poses as a real air threat; i think that an upset at Idaho is realistic. But before any of this happens we need to come out with a bang against Drake to get some momentum and cohesiveness needed to pull out a big upset like this. I also can't wait for their game down here at Northern Colorado! Go Sioux!

Last year's game at Idaho had several key things go wrong early that I think, made the kids play well below their capability. First, Landry, early on, looked like a Freshman with jitters and missed open receivers by miles, second, they were short one key coach on the trip, third, they lost confidence early with all the opportunities missed and kind of quit. Change the outcomes of the first several offensive drives and the game becomes much closer, still a loss by 14-17, but much more respectable. I think this year will be close, but still a loss by 6-10 pts.

Last year's game at Idaho had several key things go wrong early that I think, made the kids play well below their capability. First, Landry, early on, looked like a Freshman with jitters and missed open receivers by miles, second, they were short one key coach on the trip, third, they lost confidence early with all the opportunities missed and kind of quit. Change the outcomes of the first several offensive drives and the game becomes much closer, still a loss by 14-17, but much more respectable. I think this year will be close, but still a loss by 6-10 pts.

Who are you and what have you done with Ole?

This post was way too optimistic to come from Ole in MSP.......... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on who the starting QB will be going into the year?

I would guess and hope that Joey Bradley took control of the #1 spot by the end of camp. I also hope that Chris Comes plays well enough to grab the #2 spot. Both still have to prove themselves to get to both spots.

• Upvote 1

Cautiously optimistic about this years football team. Some big games on the schedule, but at the same time it sucks that you see a Black Hills State or whoever on the schedule as well. I know its still transition time, but I guess I thought the Sioux would be done playing NAIA opponents, even if it meant going on the road. I will say that the Sioux should not lose a game at the Alerus center this season. Which hopefully means they'll have an 8 win season.

Any guesses on who the starting QB will be for the opener against Drake? My guess would be Goska being a senior, but I've heard a lot of positive stuff about Bradley.

I'm on the bandwagon to have Marcus Hendrickson change positions. Maybe a move back to wide receiver? Showed last year he's probably not the right guy at QB, but a pretty good athlete and a playmaker.

And nothing about it in the GF Herald; kind of disappointing...

Although I am normally pretty critical of the Herald's lack of coverage, to be fair, the players merely report today, practice doesn't start until Friday. I'd hope they'll have some coverage then...................

Cautiously optimistic about this years football team. Some big games on the schedule, but at the same time it sucks that you see a Black Hills State or whoever on the schedule as well. I know its still transition time, but I guess I thought the Sioux would be done playing NAIA opponents, even if it meant going on the road. I will say that the Sioux should not lose a game at the Alerus center this season. Which hopefully means they'll have an 8 win season.

Any guesses on who the starting QB will be for the opener against Drake? My guess would be Goska being a senior, but I've heard a lot of positive stuff about Bradley.

I'm on the bandwagon to have Marcus Hendrickson change positions. Maybe a move back to wide receiver? Showed last year he's probably not the right guy at QB, but a pretty good athlete and a playmaker.

I can start to understand why this year since it is transition and its to save money...but in 2012 we need 7 DI wins!! Get rid of that SD Mines game.

I can start to understand why this year since it is transition and its to save money...but in 2012 we need 7 DI wins!! Get rid of that SD Mines game.

Agreed - some of the games are pathetic

If we don't put up 50 on Sioux Falls State Mussman should do the right thing and resign - We need to wash the taste out of our mouths of the worst Sioux loss ever

Agreed - some of the games are pathetic

If we don't put up 50 on Sioux Falls State Mussman should do the right thing and resign - We need to wash the taste out of our mouths of the worst Sioux loss ever

Agreed. The Sioux need to beat Sioux Falls by at least 30 points. They didn't just come into the Alerus and eke out a win, they were the better team in every facet of the game. Their QB made our QB look like a JV QB that day.