SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 Football Season

siouxftball10

Idaho and/or Fresno St...any chance for a FBS win? I say we pull the upset over Idaho. But for the rest of the season:

Drake- W

@ Idaho- W

@ Fresno St.-L

BHS- W

@SUU L

Mont West-W

Cal Poly-W

@UNC-W

Sioux Falls-W

@UC Davis-L

USD-W

8-3 overall and 3-1 in the GWFC plus a FBS win. I think this will be our turnaround year with "THE" year only 21 months away. If we have a losing season or losses to the non D1 teams Mussman's job I think will be in jeapordy.

'

I think the season is broke down into three categories FBS teams, FCS teams and non D-1 teams. I think UND plays the FBS teams tough but lose both by 10-14 points. They go 3-2 against FCS teams losing to one of the California teams and Southern Utah and they sweep the non D-1 teams. This leaves them with a 7-4 record, respectable but not great. I of course would love to see a upset of Idaho and then run the table. Yet, after last year I can't in my right mind predict that but can hope for something between that and 7-4.

If UND goes with one of the two quarterbacks I watched at Montana, I would expect 4-7. :angry: (the last 7 games for UND last year, they went 1-7)

Thu, Sep 01 Drake (Military Appreciation Day) Grand Forks, N.D. 7:00 p.m. Win

Sat, Sep 10 Idaho at Moscow, Idaho TBA Loss

Sat, Sep 17 Fresno State at Fresno, Calif. TBA Loss

Sat, Sep 24 Black Hills State (Hall of Fame/Potato Bowl) Grand Forks, N.D. 6:00 p.m. Win

Sat, Oct 01 Southern Utah * at Cedar City, Utah TBA Loss

Sat, Oct 08 Montana Western Grand Forks, N.D. 1:00 p.m. Win

Sat, Oct 22 Cal Poly (Homecoming) * Grand Forks, N.D. 1:00 p.m. Loss

Sat, Oct 29 Northern Colorado at Greeley, Colo. 2:35 p.m. Loss

Sat, Nov 05 Sioux Falls Grand Forks, N.D. 1:00 p.m. Loss

Sat, Nov 12 UC Davis * at Davis, Calif. 4:05 p.m. Loss

Sat, Nov 19 South Dakota * Grand Forks, N.D. 1:00 p.m. Win (This could be a toss up)

I think the season is broke down into three categories FBS teams, FCS teams and non D-1 teams. I think UND plays the FBS teams tough but lose both by 10-14 points. They go 3-2 against FCS teams losing to one of the California teams and Southern Utah and they sweep the non D-1 teams. This leaves them with a 7-4 record, respectable but not great. I of course would love to see a upset of Idaho and then run the table. Yet, after last year I can't in my right mind predict that but can hope for something between that and 7-4.

Simple enough I guess. Not rocket science, but the formula for 2011 success and beyond will likely be QB play. With great QB play anything can happen i.e. SFU over UND, NDSU over Minnesota, USD over Minnesota, UND almost beating NIU, etc. As we saw in 2010, poor QB play and you end up getting your butt kicked. With average or better QB play I agree, 7-4 is probably realistic. If a diamond in the rough shows up optimistically could be 8-3 or even 9-2. Hope I am not jinxing the program.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree the season is broken out into those three parts. We should be 4-2 after you factor in the FBS, non-FCS and non-scholarship (Drake) teams. That means the season turns with how we do against Great West teams and UNC. Right now, most of those could go either way....in large part depending on whether or not we find a quarterback. So, realistically we could go anywhere from 4-7 to 9-2. I think we'll be around 6-5.

Division II/NAIA/Non-schoarships

Drake - Win

Black Hills -- Win

Montana Western -- Win

Sioux Falls-- Win

FBS

Idaho -- Loss (Idaho has a lot coming back and if they find a QB will be better than last year)

Fresno State -- Loss (a lot to ask to win out there)

FCS

Southern Utah -- probably toughest of our FCS games

Cal Poly

Northern Colorado

UC Davis

South Dakota

Agree the season is broken out into those three parts. We should be 4-2 after you factor in the FBS, non-FCS and non-scholarship (Drake) teams. That means the season turns with how we do against Great West teams and UNC. Right now, most of those could go either way....in large part depending on whether or not we find a quarterback. So, realistically we could go anywhere from 4-7 to 9-2. I think we'll be around 6-5.

Division II/NAIA/Non-schoarships

Drake - Win

Black Hills -- Win

Montana Western -- Win

Sioux Falls-- Win

FBS

Idaho -- Loss (Idaho has a lot coming back and if they find a QB will be better than last year)

Fresno State -- Loss (a lot to ask to win out there)

FCS

Southern Utah -- probably toughest of our FCS games

Cal Poly

Northern Colorado

UC Davis

South Dakota

Wow, I feel so bad for you guys. (No smack intended.) You are a long, long way from your glory days in the NCC. I am betting you a wishing the Big Sky schedule started this year?

• Downvote 5

Wow, I feel so bad for you guys. (No smack intended.) You are a long, long way from your glory days in the NCC. I am betting you a wishing the Big Sky schedule started this year?

Actually, I don't think we're that far off. We have some good young players who should be ready to compete in the Big Sky. And the Big Sky bid, plus the fact we'll be post-season eligible soon, is going to really help recruiting -- already has, in fact! If we have another strong recruiting class to follow on this one, then look for us to be in the post-season mix soon after we start Big Sky play.

Actually, I don't think we're that far off. We have some good young players who should be ready to compete in the Big Sky. And the Big Sky bid, plus the fact we'll be post-season eligible soon, is going to really help recruiting -- already has, in fact! If we have another strong recruiting class to follow on this one, then look for us to be in the post-season mix soon after we start Big Sky play.

I can certainly understand that perspective. My point was more of how hard it will be to get any fans to those home games. Did NDSU ever have the weak of a home schedule when in transition? I don't remember although I know that had at least a few of these kind of joke games. Would be great if someone went back an looked to see if they ever had this bad of a home schedule. I am too lazy.

I can certainly understand that perspective. My point was more of how hard it will be to get any fans to those home games. Did NDSU ever have the weak of a home schedule when in transition? I don't remember although I know that had at least a few of these kind of joke games. Would be great if someone went back an looked to see if they ever had this bad of a home schedule. I am too lazy.

This site has information on team results from 1945, all college divisions and pro's too. Just click on NCAA DIAA to look at any team. I think someone at AGS found it, it is a handy site.

http://michigan-football.com/

Here's the NDSU past schedules since you are lazy:

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/ndakotst.htm

Idaho and/or Fresno St...any chance for a FBS win? I say we pull the upset over Idaho. But for the rest of the season:

Drake- W

@ Idaho- W

@ Fresno St.-L

BHS- W

@SUU L

Mont West-W

Cal Poly-W

@UNC-W

Sioux Falls-W

@UC Davis-L

USD-W

8-3 overall and 3-1 in the GWFC plus a FBS win. I think this will be our turnaround year with "THE" year only 21 months away. If we have a losing season or losses to the non D1 teams Mussman's job I think will be in jeapordy.

'

Cal-Poly was ranked in or near the top 10 in last FCS poll after the playoffs this year. Not that polls mean that much, but obviously many voters saw something they liked. Beating Idaho there after getting whooped 45-egg last year is a big leap of faith. You should beat Drake/no-schollies, and you should beat all non-DI teams, the rest could go either way as I see it. It's even possible you may lose to some of the non-DI teams, as they will be giving you there best "little guy" shot>

• Upvote 2

Cal-Poly was ranked in or near the top 10 in last FCS poll after the playoffs this year. Not that polls mean that much, but obviously many voters saw something they liked. Beating Idaho there after getting whooped 45-egg last year is a big leap of faith. You should beat Drake/no-schollies, and you should beat all non-DI teams, the rest could go either way as I see it. It's even possible you may lose to some of the non-DI teams, as they will be giving you there best "little guy" shot>

UND seems to match up well with Cal Poly. The Sioux won two years ago, and lost by just one on the road last year. With competent quarterback play, I think UND has a very good chance to beat Cal Poly at the Alerus.

UND seems to match up well with Cal Poly. The Sioux won two years ago, and lost by just one on the road last year. With competent quarterback play, I think UND has a very good chance to beat Cal Poly at the Alerus.

Losing Murray I think will prove to be bigger impact than we expect and QB play will be critical as usual. Wins against 2 of 4 GWFC foes, Losses to the BCS teams, win all the playdown games plus Drake, and the UNC game determines whether we are 6-5 or 7-4. A season of 7-4 means modest progress or mediocrity for the program. 6-5 and Muss must go. 8-3 or better we are moving the right way. Without any inside info to the real talent level and overall situation for next year there is no way to tell what kind of expectations to have. Being a long time fan I hope for the best, but not getting too optimistic. Maybe a QB and RB will emerge to lead this team or one or more of the WR's will be a superstar. Hope so. Looking forward to some schedule excitement outside the Big Sky too. Would love to see a Big 10 or Big 12 game on the horizon someday.

Losing Murray I think will prove to be bigger impact than we expect and QB play will be critical as usual. Wins against 2 of 4 GWFC foes, Losses to the BCS teams, win all the playdown games plus Drake, and the UNC game determines whether we are 6-5 or 7-4. A season of 7-4 means modest progress or mediocrity for the program. 6-5 and Muss must go. 8-3 or better we are moving the right way. Without any inside info to the real talent level and overall situation for next year there is no way to tell what kind of expectations to have. Being a long time fan I hope for the best, but not getting too optimistic. Maybe a QB and RB will emerge to lead this team or one or more of the WR's will be a superstar. Hope so. Looking forward to some schedule excitement outside the Big Sky too. Would love to see a Big 10 or Big 12 game on the horizon someday.

If we continue to play 10-15 yards off of the other teams receivers, then I would say a record of 4-7 is what should be expected. Add to the fact that we don't have a real QB ready to go for the new season it looks like we need to set expectations pretty low and hope for the best.....

If we continue to play 10-15 yards off of the other teams receivers, then I would say a record of 4-7 is what should be expected. Add to the fact that we don't have a real QB ready to go for the new season it looks like we need to set expectations pretty low and hope for the best.....

At this point we don't know what we have going into next season at quarterback. Some of our questions will be answered after spring ball, but we've got two redshirt freshmen that sound like they had some promise coming in, plus a young JUCO transfer that has collegiate level experience and a live arm. I'm interested to see what they can do before I say we don't have a real QB. Remember Landry was drafted as a D2 guy and was playing against primarily D1 competition, our problem was we had no competent depth behind him last year when he went down.

I think we improve on offense (even without Murray) if we can establish more than 1 receiver as a threat. Last year it was Hardin and that was about it, teams would rotate their coverage to stop him and no one really stepped up to take the pressure off. Where Landry was more successful than either of his backups was checking down to other receivers, but then there would be drops or there was no real advantage gained by those receivers, either by not getting separation, or like I said, dropping the ball.

At this point we don't know what we have going into next season at quarterback. Some of our questions will be answered after spring ball, but we've got two redshirt freshmen that sound like they had some promise coming in, plus a young JUCO transfer that has collegiate level experience and a live arm. I'm interested to see what they can do before I say we don't have a real QB. Remember Landry was drafted as a D2 guy and was playing against primarily D1 competition, our problem was we had no competent depth behind him last year when he went down.

I think we improve on offense (even without Murray) if we can establish more than 1 receiver as a threat. Last year it was Hardin and that was about it, teams would rotate their coverage to stop him and no one really stepped up to take the pressure off. Where Landry was more successful than either of his backups was checking down to other receivers, but then there would be drops or there was no real advantage gained by those receivers, either by not getting separation, or like I said, dropping the ball.

Blair Townsend is hopefully going to step into this role this year. I had a buddy watching some of the early practices prior to him getting hurt, and he said he thought Townsend was the best of the group. He's got good size and speed, so if he's completely healthy I think he becomes a threat. Additionally, I'm looking for RJ McGill to take more of a Dressler role next year - the short speed guy that gets things done. Assuming we find a competent QB to get them the ball, next year may be a good offensive year....

Blair Townsend is hopefully going to step into this role this year. I had a buddy watching some of the early practices prior to him getting hurt, and he said he thought Townsend was the best of the group. He's got good size and speed, so if he's completely healthy I think he becomes a threat. Additionally, I'm looking for RJ McGill to take more of a Dressler role next year - the short speed guy that gets things done. Assuming we find a competent QB to get them the ball, next year may be a good offensive year....

Agree with you here. The addition of Townsend -- and maybe one of the soon-to-be RF, like T. Ivery -- should do wonders for the passing situation. With the addition of Joey Bradley, I think we're likely to have at least one adequate QB and maybe better. Losing Murray will hurt, but Sutton was "rookie of the year" in the Great West the prior year and is capapble of better than he showed last year. Nothing would help the running game more than an effective passing game.

Watching the pass defense was frustrating, especially early last year. But I see UND finished second in the league in scoring defense, first in third-down defense and first in interceptions last year. I don't think defense was as bad as some would like to paint it and certainly would be helped by a more potent offense.

Agree with you here. The addition of Townsend -- and maybe one of the soon-to-be RF, like T. Ivery -- should do wonders for the passing situation. With the addition of Joey Bradley, I think we're likely to have at least one adequate QB and maybe better. Losing Murray will hurt, but Sutton was "rookie of the year" in the Great West the prior year and is capapble of better than he showed last year. Nothing would help the running game more than an effective passing game.

Watching the pass defense was frustrating, especially early last year. But I see UND finished second in the league in scoring defense, first in third-down defense and first in interceptions last year. I don't think defense was as bad as some would like to paint it and certainly would be helped by a more potent offense.

On paper, this could be the most talented group of young receivers we've had in a long time. Really looking forward to seeing how much Hardin and McGill will improve from last season, and how much of an impact Townsend, Ivery and Carrasco will have in their debut seasons.

On paper, this could be the most talented group of young receivers we've had in a long time. Really looking forward to seeing how much Hardin and McGill will improve from last season, and how much of an impact Townsend, Ivery and Carrasco will have in their debut seasons.

Shouldn't get too excited by highlight tapes, I guess, but I really liked what I saw of Carrasco on film. He seemed to have fair speed, run very good routes and showed excellent hands. However, I think the roster last year listed him at about a buck fifty, so he may need a little work at the dinner table and the weight room.

I respect Sutton's ability and think he is a real asset, however as we saw last year, you need at least 3 very good running backs and even more behind them because of the beating they take at this level and the need to control the ball in tight games. Last year's defense was better than they showed. When the offense cannot keep the ball for more than 90 seconds and the D is on the field 70%+ of the time you are going to get beat. Not a DB expert and I only saw 3 games (all on TV) so cannot comment specifically on them, but I was consistently upset with the lack of ball control the offense showed even in games that we were even up talent wise. Looking forward with optimism that Muss will find a quality QB, several RB's and WR's will step up and the season will end 7-4 or better. Still disappointed in the home schedule, but hopefully this is the last year of grovelling to find foes. Go Sioux!

Drake- W

@ Idaho- W

@ Fresno St.-L

BHS- W

@SUU L

Mont West-W

Cal Poly-W

@UNC-W

Sioux Falls-W

@UC Davis-L

USD-W

'

It's interesting you think the team will win at Idaho, but not at SUU or Davis. How do you compare Idaho to those teams?

• Upvote 1