SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 Football Season

siouxftball10

Good stuff. Are you then of the belief that Joey Bradley will be the starter when the season begins? I read that he had some huge passing games in the Juco ranks last season (some six td passing games) and with the type of offense that the Sioux run he could be the guy.

I heard we are not going to have the pistol offense because of the timing last season, so it will be mixed in so maybe this will be good for the offense.

I heard we are not going to have the pistol offense because of the timing last season, so it will be mixed in so maybe this will be good for the offense.

Thank God.....talk about watching an offense that looked forced the entire season. I think it was the worst type of offense for Jake Landry to run. He just didn't seem comfortable at all in the offense before he got hurt.

Thank God.....talk about watching an offense that looked forced the entire season. I think it was the worst type of offense for Jake Landry to run. He just didn't seem comfortable at all in the offense before he got hurt.

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2011/08/01/manic-monday-musings/

With Coach Mussman back coaching the OL we think they may move back to more of a conventional offensive scheme with the Pistol mixed in. The timing last season seemed to be off when trying to run the ball.

That's an understatement.

Agreed. To run the pistol offense you need the threat of a QB that can outrun an opposing defense, and UND didn't really have that last year. That and you have to make quick accurate throws which the Sioux didn't have either..... I wouldn't mind seeing the Sioux get back to more of a pro style formation going out of the shotgun once in a while to spread teams out a bit. With Solum at FB I think that gives them the opportunity to do more stacked backfield formations as well which sets up play action passes.

Like I said, cautiously optimistic about this football season.

Like I said, cautiously optimistic about this football season.

I sure wish i was with you; just can't get my head around the many disappointments of last season. And the "pistol" - for heavens sake, don't get me started on that one! :glare:

I'm sure I'll come around mid-season, but right now, I'm a solid "regretfully pessimistic."

Please, Sioux Football, prove me wrong! ???

After last season it is fair to think that assessment this is unrealistic. However with solid recruiting, returning experience, and hopefully a solid qb that poses as a real air threat; i think that an upset at Idaho is realistic. But before any of this happens we need to come out with a bang against Drake to get some momentum and cohesiveness needed to pull out a big upset like this. I also can't wait for their game down here at Northern Colorado! Go Sioux!

Idaho is much tougher than some of you are giving credit. We will have to play perfect to stay in the game with them, and a 30-point loss is not unreasonable, nor would it signal a bad season for UND. Akey has some collected some young talent that buys into his system that will replace those who graduated. And they have half their starters back.

This is going to be an awkward season to gauge. After four games, we'll likely be 2-2, with the possibility that none of the games are close and no real feel for what kind of team we have. In my view, that Oct. 1 game at Southern Utah is huge. That will be the first opportunity to know how good (or bad) we are and how we are likely to fair next year in the Big Sky. In my view, this is a five-game season (Southern Utah, Cal Poly, Northern Colorado, UC Davis and South Dakota). Our record against those five will be telling. The other six games are meaningless from a judgment standpoint, unless we lose to one of the "little four" or pull a huge road upset against one of the two FBS opponents.

I sure wish i was with you; just can't get my head around the many disappointments of last season. And the "pistol" - for heavens sake, don't get me started on that one! :glare:

I'm sure I'll come around mid-season, but right now, I'm a solid "regretfully pessimistic."

Please, Sioux Football, prove me wrong! ???

I saw plenty of the pistol last year. The high school football team in the town I lived in ran that offense for their entire season.....and surprisingly only won two games because it seemed everything was a second or two off. So basically it was watch crappy offense on Friday.....watch crappy offense on Saturday....then Vikings on Sunday..... :(

I would like to see the pistol holstered.... :lol:

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the reasoning behind NDSU getting 3 games broadcast on NBC across the state? Yes I understand they are a better team right now and they made the playoffs last year, but 3 games for NDSU across the state and 0 for UND??? Yes I also understand that we are still in transition and have a horrible schedule this year but this had better change... It is absolutely embarrassing.

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the reasoning behind NDSU getting 3 games broadcast on NBC across the state? Yes I understand they are a better team right now and they made the playoffs last year, but 3 games for NDSU across the state and 0 for UND??? Yes I also understand that we are still in transition and have a horrible schedule this year but this had better change... It is absolutely embarrassing.

With any luck they will get blown out in all 3 games :lol:

The only way for UND to get state-wide television is if its on the ND ABC network. Since the FSSN is associated with WDAZ, and NDSU has the KVLY (NBC) network. But we do have Fox College Sports which is televised on satelite nationwide!

There are 3 UND games I can watch here in Colorado. I don't get North Dakota NBC here. Fox College Sports obviously isn't a huge name TV station, but its nationwide and gives alumni a chance to see the team in action from anywhere. Add in our own statewide television station and UND has a television deal that is very good for a school our size. It beats the hell out of 3 statewide broadcast games.

• Upvote 2

Big deal! The 3 games are against St Francis, Ill state, Youngstown state. They will be on FCS against UNI later in Oct and on the Big 10 network against Minnesota late in Sept. Not a fantastic TV schedule, but it does offer exposure. There are so few ND athletes ready for D1 FB that it should not affect recruiting in the state. Fundraising ???? Bottom line, I would not get too excited about this unless they upset the Gophers again on regional TV. The two games they played earlier where they almost won and did win were notable in the upper midwest sports scene.

Big deal! The 3 games are against St Francis, Ill state, Youngstown state. They will be on FCS against UNI later in Oct and on the Big 10 network against Minnesota late in Sept. Not a fantastic TV schedule, but it does offer exposure. There are so few ND athletes ready for D1 FB that it should not affect recruiting in the state. Fundraising ???? Bottom line, I would not get too excited about this unless they upset the Gophers again on regional TV. The two games they played earlier where they almost won and did win were notable in the upper midwest sports scene.

And was in the Metrodome against a very crappy Gophers team...which will be different this season with TCF Stadium and a new coach.

I know it's not a fantastic TV schedule but it does create exposure and it gets people talking. I'm in Bismarck and I would like to get the state exposure that NDSU is getting as well. I don't care what you say for the non-alum/social observer if there is a UND game on FCS and an NDSU game on NBC there will be more attention and more viewership on the NBC channel, regardless of who is playing.. Just the way it is. I would like to see UND keep their TV schedule but also have the local TV support that NDSU is getting (statewide).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

FSSN is available in every city statewide and has televised many Sioux sporting events in the past. I won't watch a Bison game just cause its on NBC, the casual fan may watch but he may also watch FSSN. I guess I'm failing to see the big deal. Like someone said earlier, their game on FSN and the Big10 Network is a nice get.

And was in the Metrodome against a very crappy Gophers team...which will be different this season with TCF Stadium and a new coach.

I think the Gophers will be improved over the team that lost to the Bison, however, the Bison are a relatively experienced team and the Gophers have a number of new players. The Gophers D is supposed to be much improved and the attititude with the new coach should be different. That said, the Coyotes moved the ball all over the field last year and beat them too and the Bison beat up the Coyotes in the second half. The Gophers should win, but the stadium will not make a difference as Gopher fans are fair weather fans and if the Bison are hanging in there in the 3rd Q they will be a non factor. The new Gophers coach has done a good job recruiting, however, most of those kids will not see this game. The Gophers QB play will be a key as will the defense. I look for a close game with the Gophers winning by a touchdown or less. Hope I am wrong, would love to see a blowout, but it is not likely in my opinion.

I think the Gophers will be improved over the team that lost to the Bison, however, the Bison are a relatively experienced team and the Gophers have a number of new players. The Gophers D is supposed to be much improved and the attititude with the new coach should be different. That said, the Coyotes moved the ball all over the field last year and beat them too and the Bison beat up the Coyotes in the second half. The Gophers should win, but the stadium will not make a difference as Gopher fans are fair weather fans and if the Bison are hanging in there in the 3rd Q they will be a non factor. The new Gophers coach has done a good job recruiting, however, most of those kids will not see this game. The Gophers QB play will be a key as will the defense. I look for a close game with the Gophers winning by a touchdown or less. Hope I am wrong, would love to see a blowout, but it is not likely in my opinion.

I'd love to see the gophers win by thirty, but I agree, it just won't happen. Brock Jensen is an okay QB for the Bison, but I don't see him pulling a Steve Walker against the gophers for the Bison. NDSU played just about a perfect game to beat the gophers at the dome, and the Gophers made a ton of mistakes (including a HUGE roughing the kicker at the end of the game). I'll say Gophers 24....NDSU 14. But its not an upset if the Bison beat them.

I'd love to see the gophers win by thirty, but I agree, it just won't happen. Brock Jensen is an okay QB for the Bison, but I don't see him pulling a Steve Walker against the gophers for the Bison. NDSU played just about a perfect game to beat the gophers at the dome, and the Gophers made a ton of mistakes (including a HUGE roughing the kicker at the end of the game). I'll say Gophers 24....NDSU 14. But its not an upset if the Bison beat them.

Seriously how pathetic is Gophers football that we're actually giving the Bison a decent chance to beat them again? Granted NDSU has a decent squad right now but Minnesota is a Big 10 school, they should beat the snot out of teams like NDSU, UND, Montana and the like, but yet last year South Dakota and Northern Illinois both beat them. At Home. With almost 50,000 fans. That's terrible.

But enough about the Bison

We've had some pretty slow years under Mussman including last year's 3-8 and the most humiliating defeat I can remember since I have been a Sioux fan (60's) - Sioux Falls State

Time to Cowboy Up and beat some people or step aside and let someone who can run this program

Time to get some buzz about the Sioux

We need to get better in a hurry

• Upvote 1

We've had some pretty slow years under Mussman including last year's 3-8 and the most humiliating defeat I can remember since I have been a Sioux fan (60's) - Sioux Falls State

Time to Cowboy Up and beat some people or step aside and let someone who can run this program

Well said!!

Pretty good points. I think if the Sioux lose to Sioux Falls again it may be the end of the Mussman era for UND football. I don't care if they are the national champions of NAIA football, you aren't supposed to get beaten by those schools. A Dale Lennon team would have never lost to an NAIA school.

I think anything less than an 8 win season would be a disapointment. And please....lets stop someone on defense this year.....

Over the summer I had a chance to talk to a few of the players who stayed in town and worked at Mcdonalds. Visited with Cordero Finley a bit. He said I went to the same high school as Ross Cochran.

I asked him what do you expect this season. He said 8 wins and he wants to lead the team in sacks. Hope your right Cordero.

I see Cordero and Ross went to Mary D. Bradford High School . How many High Schools do you see named after women. Kinda neat.