SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 Football Season

siouxftball10

Also I asked them who do they think will be the starting QB this fall. The first name out of there mouth was Marcus Hendrickson. Cordero said he thinks he can get the job done. If one of them don't step up to be a D1 QB it could be tough to get 5 wins.

But enough about the Bison

We've had some pretty slow years under Mussman including last year's 3-8 and the most humiliating defeat I can remember since I have been a Sioux fan (60's) - Sioux Falls State

Time to Cowboy Up and beat some people or step aside and let someone who can run this program

Time to get some buzz about the Sioux

We need to get better in a hurry

I don't think any program gets better in a hurry. Very easy to say, but programs that do "get better in a hurry" sometimes do it in ways that come back to damage the program. I'm happy with the progress and recruiting and think Mussman will get the job done. The Sioux have always done it the right way. The Chappelle's, the Josh Murray's and now this:

- Linebacker Dominique Bennett, who was expected to start at outside linebacker, and cornerback Chavon Mackey, who was expected to start at right cornerback, have been suspended for the first two games of the season for a violation of team rules.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/212021

make me think we're continuing to build the program in an honest, ethical way. Sioux players and coaches are expected to operate that way, even if bending the rules would help the football results in the short term. There are teams that overlook things like training violations or academics (even in say a 100 mile radius :D ) but I've always felt that an attitude like that hurts a program in the long run.

It's going to be an exciting next few years of North Dakota football.

Also I asked them who do they think will be the starting QB this fall. The first name out of there mouth was Marcus Hendrickson. Cordero said he thinks he can get the job done. If one of them don't step up to be a D1 QB it could be tough to get 5 wins.

I've heard this as well. That he is kind of "the players choice" to be the starting QB, like Manke was a couple of years ago.

I've heard this as well. That he is kind of "the players choice" to be the starting QB, like Manke was a couple of years ago.

That's interesting, but from what I saw last season I wouldn't agree but maybe with more reps with the first group and an offseason to prepare he will be really good. Players see it everyday so they would have a better idea about it than me.

That's interesting, but from what I saw last season I wouldn't agree but maybe with more reps with the first group and an offseason to prepare he will be really good. Players see it everyday so they would have a better idea about it than me.

Yeah, he didn't look like the guy at all last year. You wonder if he is one of those All American players in practice that can't put it together in games. Right now he's #3 on the depth chart, and with the kid from California coming in I don't think he'll get that much time under center.

Hendrickson is the consummate team player by agreeing to move around to different positions to help the team, and he seems like a good kid and I'm glad his teammates have confidence in him.

Based on what I saw last year, if Marcus or Goska are the starting QB this year, we are in trouble offensively. Both are great locker room guys and team players and their teammates respect them, which is great. I know it's a new year and guys can improve, but I just have concerns about both of them playing QB for this offense.

I've been wrong many times before...

• Upvote 1

Hendrickson is the consummate team player by agreeing to move around to different positions to help the team, and he seems like a good kid and I'm glad his teammates have confidence in him.

Based on what I saw last year, if Marcus or Goska are the starting QB this year, we are in trouble offensively. Both are great locker room guys and team players and their teammates respect them, which is great. I know it's a new year and guys can improve, but I just have concerns about both of them playing QB for this offense.

I've been wrong many times before...

Hendrickson and Goska showed nothing last year. People do grow and change and if they have the talent to be a D1 QB with another year of maturity fine, but I doubt it. Respect their efforts, dedication, etc., but this program should be able to attract some top notch talent. I truly hope the Comes and Bradley bring some excitement for the program and can do the job better than what we have seen so far. Another thing, can anyone tell me why there is so little info available on the team, practices, speculation etc.? I know it is early, but .......?

Hendrickson and Goska showed nothing last year. People do grow and change and if they have the talent to be a D1 QB with another year of maturity fine, but I doubt it. Respect their efforts, dedication, etc., but this program should be able to attract some top notch talent. I truly hope the Comes and Bradley bring some excitement for the program and can do the job better than what we have seen so far. Another thing, can anyone tell me why there is so little info available on the team, practices, speculation etc.? I know it is early, but .......?

Apparently you haven't been to Fightingsioux.com. There are multiple daily updates and full articles about everything you could every want to know as it pertains to UND football and practice. All the twitter links are on the front page of siouxsports also to make it easier for you.

Apparently you haven't been to Fightingsioux.com. There are multiple daily updates and full articles about everything you could every want to know as it pertains to UND football and practice. All the twitter links are on the front page of siouxsports also to make it easier for you.

I have, and there is nothing of any critical substance there. Lots of feel good stuff though.

Sometimes when a player doesn't expect a shot at playing during a season they don't put as much focus into preparing for that season, maybe that can be the difference.

If Hendrickson is such a great team guy you'd think he would move to another position to help out the team if thats what the coaches felt was the right move. I know I've said he should switch positions before, but I truly feel like he could help the team by playing wide receiver or maybe even returning kicks.

Heck, he could line up in the secondary on defense....those guys didn't cover anyone last year... :glare:;)

If Hendrickson is such a great team guy you'd think he would move to another position to help out the team if thats what the coaches felt was the right move. I know I've said he should switch positions before, but I truly feel like he could help the team by playing wide receiver or maybe even returning kicks.

Heck, he could line up in the secondary on defense....those guys didn't cover anyone last year... :glare:;)

Of course he's already switched positions at the request/suggestion of the coaching staff -- twice just last year. I haven't heard that they've asked yet another change from him this year.

Goska and Hendrickson didn't look good last year, but Hendrickson spent most of the year practicing at WR. I'm certainly no football coach but for my money, he was the best looking QB at the spring game. He stood in the pocket when he needed to and ran well when it was time to scramble. He threw accurately on the run and showed a nice touch completing the mid-level throws, something no one at UND was able to do last year. I don't know who'll end up as the starting QB, but I wouldn't be too discouraged if it was Hendrickson.

If Bradley is named the starter, I'll be very optimistic for the upcoming season. We will have a starter for the next three years; most importantly, an experienced starter for two years in the Big Sky. If Goska wins the job, it's probably due to seniority and I will be slightly optimistic about the year. If Hendrickson wins the job, I will need to be shown he's improved a great deal. A player isn't a standout at the QB position if he's been playing musical chairs at positions on a football team. I may be proven wrong, but I really don't think Hendrickson will win the job nor should he.

Eh...........

I don't think our pass defense was so horrible last year. Yes...........they were prone to giving up the big play, but they were second in the conference in Passing Efficiency Defense............ They were young, but show alot of promise. There were far more problems on offense than there were on defense..................

As far as the QB situation.............I didn't really like what I saw from either Goska or Hendrickson last year....................but considerding the style of offense that Coach Mussman has imposed during his time here over the last decade, (also considering the "Pistol" an apparent failed experiment), I'd say Hendrickson has a leg up on Goska. From what I saw last season, Hendrickson throws a better ball, and is just as good on his feet as Goska is. Neither seemed very accurate and that is the major concern. When you think of the QB's over the last decade that have run Mussman's offense like Klosterman, Bowenkamp, Belmore, Freund, Landry...................with the exception of Reed Manke, all were pretty much "drop back, stay in the pocket" passers. And Manke was good at that too but improvised more than the others I mentioned ever did...............As far as I can tell, Joey Bradley is the only guy that fits the mold of "pass first" QB on this year's roster. Given that, I'd be mildly surpised if Joey Bradly isn't the starting QB against Drake, since he appears to be the most proven "drop-back" passer on the squad...................

Mussman said so far Goska is #1 on the depth chart. Is it because he is a senior. To me he seems more a scrambler/runner (Elway/Vick) and not much of a pure passer (Marino). I think we need a passer that can be more accurate than anything, instead of running around the field, because that just leaves to injuries and or turnovers. I would have liked to have Mussman come out and say all 3 QB's are #1 on the depth chart, they have equal reps with the #1 offense and then week by week find the worst out of the 3 have him work the #2 squad, and have the remaining 2 fight for the starting job. Just because Goska is a senior doesn't mean he's automatic, just like since Bradley is new with the squad doesn't mean he belongs on the bench.

As goes the sack count, so goes the secondary coverage.

I didn't see much pressure on opposing quarterbacks and as such they had time to stand back, look down field, survey, study, contemplate, have coffee and a danish, check their Facebook account, relook, resurvey, and then fire to the receiver that came open (because no secondary can cover for that long).

It,s hard to have any kind of pass coverage when your corners are at least 10 yards off of the receivers

It goes hand and hand with pressure like Sic said. Last year we didn't get any. If the qb has time it doesn't matter if your playing bump at the line or giving a 10 yard cushion, your not sticking with a guy for 4-5 seconds. Someone, will be open. Now the quick one step drop and throw it out the WR at the edge, that I hope to see corrected this season. That had everything to do coverage and the cushion we were giving but it also has to do with some youth and confidence at the corner position.

It,s hard to have any kind of pass coverage when your corners are at least 10 yards off of the receivers

OK, so with no rush and the corners up the receivers bust by the coverage and score.

Instead, with no rush and the corners off the receivers catch the under routes and probably get tackled.

In one system one play and it's done; in the other approach you force the other team to execute six to nine successful plays before scoring, and maybe the other team can't pull it off and punts.

I know which approach I'd take with a young, inexperienced group.

So Mussman says 3 quarterbacks, if not all 4, will likely play in the first three to four games according to SFI...has he lost his mind?

I agree with this. If we don't have a QB who is able to seperate himself from the pack after preseason and a game, we are in trouble. Goska and Hendrickson had their tryout last season and it was hard to watch. I'd give the new guys a shot who are going to be here for 3 and 4 years respectively and see if they are the answer. Let's see what we have an plan for the future.

So Mussman says 3 quarterbacks, if not all 4, will likely play in the first three to four games according to SFI...has he lost his mind?

relax, it's just the time of the year for "coach speak." But, if none of the 4 is going to clearly separate themselves from the others in practice situations, the only way to see who might be the best gamer, is to actually play in a game.