SiouxSports.com Forum

2011 Football Season

siouxftball10

The main knock on him was the number of INT's he threw in his one JC year. We'll have to see if that affects him at UND or not, if he wins the QB battle.

Noticed a few things: strong arm, quick release, can throw 40 yds off his back foot, good foot speed, accurate, but mechanics might be questionable. Some good QB coaching could help that. I like what I see for raw talent!

Mussman probably knows something about playing offensive line ... (from Wikipedia) ...

Mussman was a four-year letter-winner and starting offensive lineman at Iowa State University from 1987 to 1990.

I'm more concerned about Freund coaching running backs.

What concerns you about Freund coaching the running backs? Just curious.

He was a QB. Has he played the position? I guess I like to see coaches that have experience in the role (especially younger coaches). Learning how to teach/coach is hard enough; having to learn a position at the same time doubles the difficulty.

He was a QB. Has he played the position? I guess I like to see coaches that have experience in the role (especially younger coaches). Learning how to teach/coach is hard enough; having to learn a position at the same time doubles the difficulty.

Scott Frost

Just one example off the top of my head, I know. Many coaches end up coaching the opposite side of the ball because they already understand what one side of the ball is trying to do the other. Some of the best coordinators in the game actually played and/or coached on opposite sides of the ball.

He's a coach's kid, played 6 years in the UND system and coached college football last season in Wisconsin. Probably remembers the responsibilities for the RB's from his playing days still like the back of his hand. One of the more cerebral and successful UND QB's in recent history.

It is understood that if you want to be a successful coach, you will have better and more opportunities by coaching both sides of the ball. You make yourself much more marketable this way.

That's just my thoughts on it. I think Danny will be a great addition for UND.

What concerns you about Freund coaching the running backs? Just curious.

This sounds like Vigen, OC and QB coach at NDSU. What intitially concerned me, and which has shown its ugly head in the last coupe of years, is that a person who "played" tight end in college, and has not obtained additional coaching experience to any extent, will likely not end up being a good QB coach and or OC. Hope you have better luck with Fruend than we have had with Vigen.

Yeah, but Dante Perez was impressive on tape as well. It wil be interesting to see how spring ball goes for Mr. Bradley.

Well, you gotta start with one that looks good on tape rather than one that looks !@#!$. I do think the NDSU QBs may have come along better, but were hindered by Vigen as OC. I am not even luke warm on Vigen yet. The bottom line is any of these kids need a decent coach as a mentor and a teacher.

This sounds like Vigen, OC and QB coach at NDSU. What intitially concerned me, and which has shown its ugly head in the last coupe of years, is that a person who "played" tight end in college, and has not obtained additional coaching experience to any extent, will likely not end up being a good QB coach and or OC. Hope you have better luck with Fruend than we have had with Vigen.

Geez.......one would think this CAS dude actually played football......... :0

........................IMO Muss (or any head coach) shouldn't be coaching the OL

Dale Lennon coached the special teams the last couple seasons he was here, inside LB I think too.......................

Lennon was also a fullback as a player I believe who became the greatest defensive coach in the history of the world if I am not mistaken.......................point is, Freund might make a a good RB coach even though he wasn't a running back.............

Dale Lennon coached the special teams the last couple seasons he was here, inside LB I think too.......................

Lennon was also a fullback as a player I believe who became the greatest defensive coach in the history of the world if I am not mistaken.......................point is, Freund might make a a good RB coach even though he wasn't a running back.............

Compared to coaching QB's, coaching RB's is very simple.

WYO may be able to answer this, but isn't Craig Bohl the de-facto D Coordinator for the Bison?

No, not anymore. Early on he was. As for Lennon, his coaching experience away from UND likely played major role in his ultimate success, along with the kind of person he is. For example, Lennon was a GA when I played for the Bison. Within the first month or so of me being at UND after NDSU, I got a messege that he wanted to talk to me. I called, he welcomed me to UND, and invited me out for a beer and BS session. We met up a few days later, had a couple of beers together, talked UND and NDSU football and other mutual interests. Thought that was pretty cool of him. Also, to this day when we see each other he says "Hey" CAS (remembers my name), we shake hands, shoot a little BS, and go our seperate ways. I think this is just one example of the kind of man he is and why he is such an excellent coach.

No, not anymore. Early on he was. As for Lennon, his coaching experience away from UND likely played major role in his ultimate success, along with the kind of person he is. For example, Lennon was a GA when I played for the Bison. Within the first month or so of me being at UND after NDSU, I got a messege that he wanted to talk to me. I called, he welcomed me to UND, and invited me out for a beer and BS session. We met up a few days later, had a couple of beers together, talked UND and NDSU football and other mutual interests. Thought that was pretty cool of him. Also, to this day when we see each other he says "Hey" CAS (remembers my name), we shake hands, shoot a little BS, and go our seperate ways. I think this is just one example of the kind of man he is and why he is such an excellent coach.

I don't believe that part of it is correct. IIRC, Dale earned his masters at Northern State (87?), and spent a year at both Valley City and Dickinson before returning to UND. I think he started at UND as a defensive line coach before moving up to DC.

Hmmm? That could very well be. When did he come back to UND then? I was there from Fall of 89 to Spring of 92. Wait, this is starting to jog my memory a little. It may be that he contacted me after he returned, not when I arrived. Whatever it was, I still respect him a lot for taking the initiative to do so and for simply being descent.

Hmmm? That could very well be. When did he come back to UND then? I was there from Fall of 89 to Spring of 92. Wait, this is starting to jog my memory a little. It may be that he contacted me after he returned, not when I arrived. Whatever it was, I still respect him a lot for taking the initiative to do so and for simply being descent.

I checked the Saluki website. It says he graduated from UND in 1983 but I don't believe that is right. Doesn't say when he was at Northern State for grad school. (I think he graduated from UND in 84 or 85 and Northern in 86)

1986 Valley City Dbacks

1987 Dickinson Lbackers

88-89 UND D Line

90-96 UND D Coordinator

97-98 Mary HC

99-07 UND HC

08- SIU HC

I checked the Saluki website. It says he graduated from UND in 1983 but I don't believe that is right. Doesn't say when he was at Northern State for grad school. (I think he graduated from UND in 84 or 85 and Northern in 86)

1986 Valley City Dbacks

1987 Dickinson Lbackers

88-89 UND D Line

90-96 UND D Coordinator

97-98 Mary HC

99-07 UND HC

08- SIU HC

Dale Lennon - www.fightingsioux.com

After graduating from UND in 1985, Lennon earned his master

Dale Lennon - www.fightingsioux.com

So it would have been when I first arrived on campus that Dale got in touch with me. I just didn't recall that he was D-line coach, not a GA. In any event, it would be interesting to see where UND's program would be had he stayed. Probably in better shape, but I still think if UND gets back to being a physical running team on offense (with passing ability to keep teams honest) and playing physical, attacking, pursuit-type defense, you will be just fine in the Big Sky--In fact, no question about it in my mind.

• 2 months later...

Idaho and/or Fresno St...any chance for a FBS win? I say we pull the upset over Idaho. But for the rest of the season:

8-3 overall and 3-1 in the GWFC plus a FBS win. I think this will be our turnaround year with "THE" year only 21 months away. If we have a losing season or losses to the non D1 teams Mussman's job I think will be in jeopardy.

Bleacher Report: 10 FBS Teams That Could Lose to an FCS Team

The Sioux will also be eager to erase the scars of 2010, and the best way to start would be with a momentum-building win against Idaho on September 10.

Funny to hear Bison fans rip on UND for losing 45-0 to Idaho and go 3-8. Don't they know new season, new team. But I guess only them can go 3-8 one year and playoffs the next but UND could not go 3-8 and turn it around. Typical crap from Moo U.

• Upvote 1

Funny to hear Bison fans rip on UND for losing 45-0 to Idaho and go 3-8. Don't they know new season, new team. But I guess only them can go 3-8 one year and playoffs the next but UND could not go 3-8 and turn it around. Typical crap from Moo U.

It all boils down to our QB play and more consistent play from our secondary. The main issues we had last year are what caused them problems the season they where 3-8. Bottom line is I saw a lot of improvement just throughout the spring. I could care less what they think as the only way to truely compare teams will be when Gene finally runs out of excuses and finally schedules us. Until than its all talk.

.............I could care less what they think as the only way to truely compare teams will be when Gene finally runs out of excuses and finally schedules us. Until than its all talk.

Don't know if this was already posted, but Pat Sweeney quoted Brian Faison on the 10:00 sports last Thursday night as saying that "we're close" as far as scheduling a game with NDSU..............

I could also care less.......................

Don't know if this was already posted, but Pat Sweeney quoted Brian Faison on the 10:00 sports last Thursday night as saying that "we're close" as far as scheduling a game with NDSU..............

I could also care less.......................

Unless UND ends up with a better record than NDSU then GT will come up with another excuse.

Oh come on guys, I get it, this is a Sioux board but let's not forget who offered an every other year deal. Yes, it was Gene Taylor and UND said no. Now UND and their fans seem to understand the every other year offer since you're in a conference with more than four other teams. Oh and for the record, I could care less as well but damn it would be fun. I, like most Nodaks have good friends who support both schools and back in the day it was one big party leading up to the game. Lots of trash talk, but all in good fun. In fact I'm willing to bet that if you took most Bison and Sioux fans from these boards and put them next to each other at a tailgate everyone, well minus a few select posters on both sides, would have a blast. Sorry to bust up your Gene bashing fest, please feel free to continue.