SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Hey everyone, new to the forum!

I'm looking forward to this upcoming class or two. I've seen some people who sound rather discouraged due to the lack of 'superstars'. But look at the 06-07 and 07-08 recruiting classes. They didn't necessarily feature superstars, but had great committed players like Chay Genoway, VandeVelde, Frattin, Malone, etc. I'm really liking this recruiting class, but as stated earlier, we will definitely see some growing pains. I really hope we don't lose someone like Tambellini doesn't change his mind suddenly because it sounds like he could be a key cog of this class.

I read in a forum somewehre that Grimaldi said that he intended only on playing one year here, could anyone provide an article of proof?

Thanks!

I don't have the article, but I have a comment on that. With anything in the media, you have to take quotes with a grain of salt because the media can mess with words a lot and misconstrue the meaning of the quote. It's open to interpretation. The quote in question, to me, didn't say Grimaldi only was going to play a year. It was more like it'd be "ideal" to only play a year because that meant he'd be in the NHL after that year. And you know how everyone is looking for the fast path to the pros these days. But it was more him saying it was a year-by-year personal evaluation. Just my take.

IIRC, Grimaldi has only stated that his goal was to get to the NHL as fast as possible. That doesn't necessarily mean he's on a specific timeline here at UND. Who knows what "as fast as possible" will actually turn out to be.

Edit: Guess I was too slow for siouxforce!

Hey everyone, new to the forum!

I'm looking forward to this upcoming class or two. I've seen some people who sound rather discouraged due to the lack of 'superstars'. But look at the 06-07 and 07-08 recruiting classes. They didn't necessarily feature superstars, but had great committed players like Chay Genoway, VandeVelde, Frattin, Malone, etc. I'm really liking this recruiting class, but as stated earlier, we will definitely see some growing pains. I really hope we don't lose someone like Tambellini doesn't change his mind suddenly because it sounds like he could be a key cog of this class.

I read in a forum somewehre that Grimaldi said that he intended only on playing one year here, could anyone provide an article of proof?

Thanks!

I would be really surprised if any of our incoming freshmen didn't end up here this fall. All six guys who are expected to come in this fall are what I would call very solid committments.

I would be really surprised if any of our incoming freshmen didn't end up here this fall. All six guys who are expected to come in this fall are what I would call very solid committments.

I agree, and if they were to go to Major Junior, they would have done long ago. I could be wrong but LaDue, Stecher, and Murphy all would be considered overagers in the CHL, and each team has a limit on those (just a handful per team, not sure on the exact number). If Tambellini was going to the WHL, he would have done so already, its not like he hasn't had many opportunities. His parents must really be in to the NCAA route, as his brother was a star at Michigan. It seems odd that the GM of the Edmonton Oilers would send (allow?) both of his kids to the NCAA rather than the WHL, but I'm not complaining.

I would say with great confidence that LaDue will be here in the fall.

Agreed. What is the deal with Jack Rowe...is he coming next year? His progression in the USHL does not look very enticing. His +/- has to one of the worst in the league.

Agreed. What is the deal with Jack Rowe...is he coming next year? His progression in the USHL does not look very enticing. His +/- has to one of the worst in the league.

This is the first time in the past few years that he has been healthy, so in what is a a key year for him, he hasn't produced eye-catching numbers. I've only seen him play a couple times, but IMO he needs more time at the USHL level. 2014 is the earliest I'd see him coming in, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were 2015.

How's Luke's Johnson playing lately? Curios if anyone and seen him live in 2nd half of their season

I haven't seen him play since November, but in talking to people who have he has been plagued by inconsistency this season. Looks like an early round NHL draft pick one night and is hardly noticeable the next. Once he figures that out (and I believe he will), he will be just fine.

How's Luke's Johnson playing lately? Curios if anyone and seen him live in 2nd half of their season

Super inconsistent this year but his numbers are not bad. I thought he would improve a lot from last year but his numbers don't show it. Either way, I know he is a very solid player....very smart player. He will make an impact next year. 100 pts in 110 career games is just fine with me. I also like his career +37.

I was concerned about Rowe as well. But if you look at his stats from the last 2 years you can see the progression with added ice time. I'd expect great growth with another year in the USHL. He's not a top end guy, but could be a 4 yr player for us down the road. Trevor Olson had a similar growth period.

I was concerned about Rowe as well. But if you look at his stats from the last 2 years you can see the progression with added ice time. I'd expect great growth with another year in the USHL. He's not a top end guy, but could be a 4 yr player for us down the road. Trevor Olson had a similar growth period.

Sure. I actually like Olson's numbers a lot since he got to Sioux City.....I'll take those all day.

I haven't seen him play since November, but in talking to people who have he has been plagued by inconsistency this season. Looks like an early round NHL draft pick one night and is hardly noticeable the next. Once he figures that out (and I believe he will), he will be just fine.

Sounds like his uncle Chad.

I will get a chance to see Olson tomorrow night in Fargo as the the Muskateers are in Fargo to take on the Force.

Be great to hear a report on him, Ryan Mantha and Charlie Pelnik, if all of them see playing time.

I think Luke was once a projected 1st rounder and now he's predicted to go undrafted.

Yes, he was once a projected 1st rounder, but I still think he will be drafted. Every current ranking that I have seen has him going anywhere in the 3-7 round range. I would be very surprised if he doesn't get drafted.

Yes, he was once a projected 1st rounder, but I still think he will be drafted. Every current ranking that I have seen has him going anywhere in the 3-7 round range. I would be very surprised if he doesn't get drafted.

Did anyone here ever really get a chance to watch Luke's dad and uncle play when they were his age or college age? If anyone has seen all of them play have you seen any similarities between them? I've seen his dad and uncle play a lot but I think I have seen Luke play a couple of times for Central so I have nothing to compare.

A few months ago the Sioux got a verbal commitment from Tucker Poolman and shortly thereafter we saw that McCoshen verballed with BC. With so few openings for 2014, and so many possible to come in that year, is it possible the commitment from power forward Trevor Olson hints that Avery Peterson, another power forward projected as a high draft pick, may have made up his mind to go elsewhere? Hope not, as it would be nice to have a couple bookends like that going forward, especially since we've seen some nice power forward and cycling play in the tournament, and know that is something we were missing for the most part this year with the losses of Miller and Matteau. Need that manchild again like Frattin.

A few months ago the Sioux got a verbal commitment from Tucker Poolman and shortly thereafter we saw that McCoshen verballed with BC. With so few openings for 2014, and so many possible to come in that year, is it possible the commitment from power forward Trevor Olson hints that Avery Peterson, another power forward projected as a high draft pick, may have made up his mind to go elsewhere? Hope not, as it would be nice to have a couple bookends like that going forward, especially since we've seen some nice power forward and cycling play in the tournament, and know that is something we were missing for the most part this year with the losses of Miller and Matteau. Need that manchild again like Frattin.

I don't know if it really hints at Peterson already deciding against coming to UND but I do believe he has heavy interest from both Minnesota and Duluth. With Peterson going to be a high school senior next year I guess he could be a guy who could come in in 2014 but maybe would be more likely to be a guy who would come in in 2015 if he decides to stay at Grand Rapids for his senior year, if he decides to play in the USHL or something like that instead of his senior year then I would guess he would be looking to play college in 2014. I would really like to get Peterson to UND and I think he has a lot of the skill set that Brock Nelson had, one area I have heard he needs to work on though is improving his skating ability a little bit.

I don't know if it really hints at Peterson already deciding against coming to UND but I do believe he has heavy interest from both Minnesota and Duluth. With Peterson going to be a high school senior next year I guess he could be a guy who could come in in 2014 but maybe would be more likely to be a guy who would come in in 2015 if he decides to stay at Grand Rapids for his senior year, if he decides to play in the USHL or something like that instead of his senior year then I would guess he would be looking to play college in 2014. I would really like to get Peterson to UND and I think he has a lot of the skill set that Brock Nelson had, one area I have heard he needs to work on though is improving his skating ability a little bit.

Just seems like a huge number of 2014 and 2015 recruits already, but who knows what is going on behind the scenes. I'm with you, would love to have a big man with a good skill set to go with it.

Be great to hear a report on him, Ryan Mantha and Charlie Pelnik, if all of them see playing time.

Looking forward to watching all three tomorrow. Really liked Mantha earlier in the season, but haven't seen Pelnik or Olson play yet this year. Outside of him being impressive the one time I got to see him in person, I've heard some really high praise being directed towards Mantha. Those 1996'ers are looking like a very special bunch.