SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

I really like the LaDue and Stecher tandem coming in next year. It will be two 20+ year old freshman with three years of junior experience. They will be battle tested, and ready to contribute right away. Each one is arguably the best defenseman in his respective league.

The website says that Stecher doesn't turn 19 until April. Hopefully he turns out like another BCHL guy who decommitted a few years ago -- Joey LaLeggia!

Via GF Herald article on Stecher's commitment

Stecher, a Richmond, B.C., native who de-committed from Nebraska-Omaha when Mike Hastings left for Minnesota State-Mankato, had narrowed his choice to UND or Western Michigan.

ā€œObviously, their facilities are the best, maybe in all of hockey,ā€ Stecher said. ā€œThe production of NHL players is second to none. The way they run things is like a pro hockey team. There are a lot of positives. I couldnā€™t be happier for the opportunity they are giving me to come in as a 19-year-old. Thatā€™s what I wanted to do.ā€

Stecher said he was hanging out with Murphy on Thursday night and they were already discussing their futures in Grand Forks.

ā€œWeā€™re both excited,ā€ he said. ā€œHopefully, great things will come.ā€

Just a random thought...

Stecher was willing to decommit from UNO when Hastings left, yet Hastings' MSU-M wasn't listed as one of his possibilities. It would seem to me that playing in the NCHC may have helped us get this kid.

Now...how keeping the remaining pieces of the "old" WCHA together would've changed things we'll never know.

Just a little speculation...

Voltin committed at ~the same time as Johnson did, so he hasn't been in the fold for too terribly long. Rowe, on the other hand, is our longest tenured commit, and he needs another year or two of USHL seasoning. Injuries have really hampered his development. In terms of D, Stecher is UND's most NCAA-ready impact commit outside of LaDue. He's a do-it-all defenseman who will step in next season and contribute when called upon.

Completely agree. Rowe looks like he needs another year of development. Stecher is a huge pickup and was discussed a week ago, any concerns about our defense should be wiped away. I'm surprised Stecher was passed on the draft last year, but I'm sure he'll get drafted this year.

Elite prospects has him at 5'9'' wonder which one is right as Sioux Sports lists him at 5'11''. EIther way he may be a small puck moving defenseman. Either way, I had heard about him before he supposedly he's very good.

When will he enter the draft, and does anyone know which round he is expected to go in?

Great videos. It'll be nice to have an offensive minded defensemen on the blue line, like a Chay. He's a captain for his current team and was for Canada West, great leadership ability. Great pickup for the Sioux.

I was on the lancers website to check out Gersich and it says he's an affiliate and can only play 6 games. What is an affiliate? Does that mean he plans to go back to H.S. next year. I know others in the past have played more than 6 games after their H.S. careers.

I was on the lancers website to check out Gersich and it says he's an affiliate and can only play 6 games. What is an affiliate? Does that mean he plans to go back to H.S. next year. I know others in the past have played more than 6 games after their H.S. careers.

I think it basically mean he hasn't made the decison yet to play juniors next year, you can play a certain number of games before or after your high school season and still return to your high school team and I believe that is what is happening here. That doesn't mean Gersich will for sure be playing high school hockey next season and really just means he is keeping his options open at the time.

Affiliates are usually Futures and Entry draft picks. They can play limited games throughout the season. Gersich is an affiliate player because he is not on the main roster this season. plans for next year dont matter until the late summer. It allows the Lancers to protect his rights so he doesn't reenter the draft and go to another team.

Players can move from the affiliate list to the active roster though, which is what happens after the high school season for high school players who play more than the 6 games.

That's kind of what I thought. So he can't drop affiliate status and join full time then. Do you know if Poganski is an affiliate?

He is an affiliate as well. To join full time, the USHL team would have had to add him to their active roster. Lincoln did that with Vinni Lettieri last year and he played the rest of the season. Im thinking they would've had to do that a while ago, but not 100 percent.

He is an affiliate as well. To join full time, the USHL team would have had to add him to their active roster. Lincoln did that with Vinni Lettieri last year and he played the rest of the season. Im thinking they would've had to do that a while ago, but not 100 percent.

Yes, and to add an affiliate player to its protected roster a USHL club would have to drop a player to make room for the affiliate. Hence the desire to keep their affiliate players under the six game threshold. At least that's how I interpret it. USHL player transaction regulations have always been a bit fuzzy to me!

Here's a Tri-City "Get-To-Know" video featuring Austin Poganski. The highlight clip of his first USHL goal at the tail-end of the video displays the strength he already has as a HS junior as he sheds a check and then gets to the side of the net to score despite having a big defenseman draped all over his back. That defenseman, by the way, is Ben Storm, a 6'6" 229 lb behemoth committed to SCSU:

Here's a Tri-City "Get-To-Know" video featuring Austin Poganski. The highlight clip of his first USHL goal at the tail-end of the video displays the strength he already has as a HS junior as he sheds a check and then gets to the side of the net to score despite having a big defenseman draped all over his back. That defenseman, by the way, is Ben Storm, a 6'6" 229 lb behemoth committed to SCSU:

I like when he talks about being committed to North Dakota and they then show a nice big SIOUX logo across the screen - love it! :)

• Upvote 1