SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

I'm more cocerned about our defense than most. I am betting Forbort is gone and that leaves Simpson, Mattson, Schmaltz and Panzarella as the only returners and probably Ladue, Crisfield and a young Thompson coming in. That doesn't look like this extremely strong D-core that others are mentioning.

I agree here. They are losing the most physical defenseman they have and not bringing in one as a replacement (see video linked above on Crisfield stating the current plan is to play another year of juniors). That leaves Forbert as the most physical (assuming he stays AND Panzarella is given limited playing time), and he isn't that physical. I think the D-core will be dangerous in their offensive zone next year, but UND may get a whole lot easier to play against in the D-zone. After the 2013-2014 season it looks like a better mix of bigger, more physical defensive d-men and those more offensive minded. I am expected a long learning curve on the D side of the puck next year and UND may have to go through some growing pains. Offensively, I think there is more than enough talent currently on the roster and coming in. I think UND sees a more even scoring distribution next year (with the exception of Grimaldi leading by a large margin), but they will still manage to put up a decent goals per game average.

I agree here. They are losing the most physical defenseman they have and not bringing in one as a replacement (see video linked above on Crisfield stating the current plan is to play another year of juniors). That leaves Forbert as the most physical (assuming he stays AND Panzarella is given limited playing time), and he isn't that physical. I think the D-core will be dangerous in their offensive zone next year, but UND may get a whole lot easier to play against in the D-zone. After the 2013-2014 season it looks like a better mix of bigger, more physical defensive d-men and those more offensive minded. I am expected a long learning curve on the D side of the puck next year and UND may have to go through some growing pains.

It is tough to lose a physical leader like MacWilliam and it doesn't look from our roster that we have that Greene, Finley, MacWilliam, type enforcer, but still I'm not at all worried about our defense game. With another year of development Schmaltz, Simpson, Forbort, Mattson are going be a solid top 4. With LaDue coming in and Senkbeil or Panzerella rounding out the 6, UND looks great defensively. Don't forget about Poolman as well. Hakstol seems to love to play all his D, rather than logging tons of minutes with 4.

But if Forbort does leave Crisfield will come in.

It is tough to lose a physical leader like MacWilliam and it doesn't look from our roster that we have that Greene, Finley, MacWilliam, type enforcer, but still I'm not at all worried about our defense game. With another year of development Schmaltz, Simpson, Forbort, Mattson are going be a solid top 4. With LaDue coming in and Senkbeil or Panzerella rounding out the 6, UND looks great defensively. Don't forget about Poolman as well. Hakstol seems to love to play all his D, rather than logging tons of minutes with 4.

We must have different memories of Finley, I remember him being huge and clumsy and playing like he was 6' sometimes instead of 6'8". Massively overrated player who could have been dominant with his size.

I'd put Jones in the enforcer list before Finely for sure.

• Upvote 1

I agree here. They are losing the most physical defenseman they have and not bringing in one as a replacement (see video linked above on Crisfield stating the current plan is to play another year of juniors). That leaves Forbert as the most physical (assuming he stays AND Panzarella is given limited playing time), and he isn't that physical. I think the D-core will be dangerous in their offensive zone next year, but UND may get a whole lot easier to play against in the D-zone. After the 2013-2014 season it looks like a better mix of bigger, more physical defensive d-men and those more offensive minded. I am expected a long learning curve on the D side of the puck next year and UND may have to go through some growing pains. Offensively, I think there is more than enough talent currently on the roster and coming in. I think UND sees a more even scoring distribution next year (with the exception of Grimaldi leading by a large margin), but they will still manage to put up a decent goals per game average.

I think Schmaltz, Mattson and Simpon (Dillan has been their best D man this year) will make significant strides next year as well. Their D core will be just fine. Let those young guys fill out even more.

I think Keaton Thompson's draft position could possibly play into the defensive situation if he accelerated his schooling like some have suggested. If he goes high enough, he could be an option to come in early because there is always a possibility/probability that some clubs won't want a high draft pick to take too long for development, thus get as many years out of him as you can. From what I understand, he is playing very well.

We must have different memories of Finley, I remember him being huge and clumsy and playing like he was 6' sometimes instead of 6'8". Massively overrated player who could have been dominant with his size.

I'd put Jones in the enforcer list before Finely for sure.

Just making a list of enforcer type players. You can't deny that he didn't play tough and throw his body around. I think you missed the point of the post that I made.

Austin Poganski and his St. Cloud Cathedral team will play Hermantown at 7:00 tonight for a trip to the state tournament. The game is available to listen to online at http://www.mnsportsnetwork.com/index.php#msbnchannel1 and I plan to listen to it while watching the Sioux game.

Thanks! Hope they can pull it off and Pogs gets to the X!

Tambellini was mentioned in a usa today article. Id post it but I am on mobile

Here ya go:

-Surrey Eagles forward Adam Tambellini might be the best hidden power forward to come out of the BCHL in the past three to four years. Traded from Vernon to Surrey, Tambellini has fit right into an already potent Eagles lineup, using his big frame to create space and his skating ability to find open lanes to drive the net. He stands 6-3 and is a natural goal scorer with plenty of confidence

Here ya go:

-Surrey Eagles forward Adam Tambellini might be the best hidden power forward to come out of the BCHL in the past three to four years. Traded from Vernon to Surrey, Tambellini has fit right into an already potent Eagles lineup, using his big frame to create space and his skating ability to find open lanes to drive the net. He stands 6-3 and is a natural goal scorer with plenty of confidence

Those are some pretty nice words.

Austin Poganski held without a point tonight as Hermantown ends his teams season 4-1.

I was at the Cathedral-Hermantown game tonight. Poganski was very quiet...Hermantown had someone shadowing him whenever he was on the ice. Even though he had an off night his skills were still very evident... a fluid skater with Kristo-like hands. Also, he was not afraid to go into the corners. He's got a nice frame but needs to add some bulk. I'm anxious to see him when he doesn't have a target on his back. Overall impression...he's going to be fun to watch.

I was at the Cathedral-Hermantown game tonight. Poganski was very quiet...Hermantown had someone shadowing him whenever he was on the ice. Even though he had an off night his skills were still very evident... a fluid skater with Kristo-like hands. Also, he was not afraid to go into the corners. He's got a nice frame but needs to add some bulk. I'm anxious to see him when he doesn't have a target on his back. Overall impression...he's going to be fun to watch.

Rumor going around is this may have been his last high school game and he will be headed to the USHL or the development team next season. Being a former Minnesota high school player and now a fan I never like to see players leave their high school team but he may need to see some more competition as his team plays a decent schedule playing some pretty good schools but there are also a few below average teams that are on the schedule.

Box Score on the MN Hockey Hub has him with an assist?

They didn't say it on the radio but they may have missed it. Sounded like he was around the puck a lot and trying to make things happen but it just wasn't his teams night. Announcers talked about how Cathedral just didn't have it and didn't play their best and it is always tough for your season to end in a game where you know you could have played at a higher level.

Of the 8 or so players coming in next year, what players do you see playing the most consistently?

I think LaDue will be a staple in the lineup and will have a pretty nice year, also think Poolman could suprise some people and be in the lineup quite a bit. I also think Johnson,Tambellini, and Murphy have a good chance to be in pretty consistently as Freshmen and should provide some scoring punch.