SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Cathedral could certainly make it out of 5A, but Holy Family would have to run an awfully tough gauntlet to make it to state. Aside from HF, 6AA includes Benilde, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Wayzata...

If Holy Family was still in class A this year they would have a decent chance but with the move to AA they will have to pull a couple upsets probably to get out of 6AA which is almost always the toughest section in the state. Cathedral has a chance but will have to get past a Hermantown team who is very solid with a little bit of a question mark in net and also the only team they have lost to in section play in Princeton 4-3 who is 6-0-1 in the section, they have already beat Hermantown 5-4 in OT. Holy Family has only played 2 section games so far and split them and will probably end up around the #5 seed in their section.

If Holy Family was still in class A this year they would have a decent chance but with the move to AA they will have to pull a couple upsets probably to get out of 6AA which is almost always the toughest section in the state. Cathedral has a chance but will have to get past a Hermantown team who is very solid with a little bit of a question mark in net and also the only team they have lost to in section play in Princeton 4-3 who is 6-0-1 in the section, they have already beat Hermantown 5-4 in OT. Holy Family has only played 2 section games so far and split them and will probably end up around the #5 seed in their section.

Yeah, honestly, if Holy Family makes it out of the section, it'd probably be the biggest shock of the season (or pretty close to it). I agree at them being a 5 seed. Maybe they could inch up to 4, because they have a much better record than Eden Prairie, but EP has played a tougher schedule, so that might be bit of a stretch.

I'd like to see Cathedral come out of their section so I could see Poganski play at State, as the only time his team was in the Twin Cities was a couple weeks ago on Hockey Day MN and their game went on at the same time as the Sioux/Gopher game.

I live 10 minutes from Holy Family, so I can see Gersich play whenever I want haha.

I am not sure. According to the boxscore he was always in the lineup, but he wasn't putting up any points. Not sure if he got put on another line, if teams were just targeting him, or if he just had a run of bad puck luck. He was stuck at 39 points for a month or so.

Wade murphy has a 7 point night so far (2 goals, 5 assists) and the game is only in the 2nd period. It is good to see him pick up the pace again. He had been absent from the scoresheet for most of the last month.

He had a stretch of just five games (three weeks on the calendar) where he didn't register a point, including one tilt in which he received a game misconduct. Nothing of any significance really. He had five points in the four games leading up to last night's seven point explosion, so he's doing just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a bad start

@SiouxTradition: RE: Shane Gersich's hat trick tonight. RT @saraj323: @SiouxTradition and that was in the first 3 minutes of the game! :0

Hey! That's me! :lol:

Orono clearly didn't get the memo. Gersich was suspended during the first meeting of the season between HF and Orono.

Kinda pissed I didn't go to this game. Thought about it. Decided to go to HF's game on Saturday instead.

Hey! That's me! :lol:

Orono clearly didn't get the memo. Gersich was suspended during the first meeting of the season between HF and Orono.

Kinda pissed I didn't go to this game. Thought about it. Decided to go to HF's game on Saturday instead.

Ha, cool! What was he suspended for? What's his plan? Ushl?

Ha, cool! What was he suspended for? What's his plan? Ushl?

He got a major for kicking a guy against Wayzata. I think it's either a high school policy to get a game for major penalties or else it's Holy Family's.

I've heard he wants to head to the USHL after this year. He's tired of getting targeted by other teams with cheap shots/head shots. Some teams head hunt him pretty good. But, it also sounds like people are trying to get to his dad to get him to stick around for all of high school. But I'd be surprised if that happens. I'll keep my ears open. The Gersich's live a few minutes away from me. People talk. ;)

He got a major for kicking a guy against Wayzata. I think it's either a high school policy to get a game for major penalties or else it's Holy Family's.

I've heard he wants to head to the USHL after this year. He's tired of getting targeted by other teams with cheap shots/head shots. Some teams head hunt him pretty good. But, it also sounds like people are trying to get to his dad to get him to stick around for all of high school. But I'd be surprised if that happens. I'll keep my ears open. The Gersich's live a few minutes away from me. People talk. ;)

That was very obvious in the one game I saw him play that was on FSN. They were all over him.

That was very obvious in the one game I saw him play that was on FSN. They were all over him.

Some teams are worse than others, the game you're referring to was the worst one I had seen as far as him being targeted. I said after that game that there's not a chance in hell he plays high school hockey next year. But you never know if someone is able to get him to stay.

I watched that game and it wasn't much of kick by that point of the game he was really frustrated you could from all the shots they were taking at him. Moving to USHL wouldn't be a bad thing like Besse should havee

I watched that game and it wasn't much of kick by that point of the game he was really frustrated you could from all the shots they were taking at him. Moving to USHL wouldn't be a bad thing like Besse should havee

I'm still amazed at the kicking call. I thought it was bogus. Shane puts up with a lot - he's a tough kid. If he goes to the USHL, great, he will be playing against some great players. If he stays at HF, great - I can watch his games more often. That said, I could see him going to Omaha after the high school season is done and getting in some games. I think that would be a good gauge to see where he's at as far as USHL readiness.

I'm still amazed at the kicking call. I thought it was bogus. Shane puts up with a lot - he's a tough kid. If he goes to the USHL, great, he will be playing against some great players. If he stays at HF, great - I can watch his games more often. That said, I could see him going to Omaha after the high school season is done and getting in some games. I think that would be a good gauge to see where he's at as far as USHL readiness.

Even the announcer where wondering where the kicking to place and were baffled why he got called for it. I think he can only play a few USHL games then you can't go back to High School I could be wrong

Even the announcer where wondering where the kicking to place and were baffled why he got called for it. I think he can only play a few USHL games then you can't go back to High School I could be wrong

Yeah, that's not accurate on the number of games affecting his ability to go back to high school. A lot of players play games before and after the season. Vinni Lettieri was with Lincoln for their playoff run last year, and could have returned to Minnetonka if he wanted to.

This is a first for me. A kid leaving high school hockey because it is too rough for him? I almost spit up my breakfast laughing at that. High school hockey has actually been wimped down in the last year ever since Jablonski's unfortunate injury.

It doesn't get any easier in the USHL where it is more physical and guys drop the gloves. If he is going to run away from being the focus of attention on the high school level, how is he ever going to maintain success as the competition gets even more difficult and the physical play gets ratcheted up further?

This is a first for me. A kid leaving high school hockey because it is too rough for him? I almost spit up my breakfast laughing at that. High school hockey has actually been wimped down in the last year ever since Jablonski's unfortunate injury.

It doesn't get any easier in the USHL where it is more physical and guys drop the gloves. If he is going to run away from being the focus of attention on the high school level, how is he ever going to maintain success as the competition gets even more difficult and the physical play gets ratcheted up further?

You missed the point. Again.

High school hockey had increased the penalties for boarding and CFB's. it has not decreased the intent or head hunting on the standout players. It's a concern. It doesn't have anything to do with physical play.

Agreed...but I've seen him get cheap shotted a lot. At least in juniors he...or an enforcer-type will be able to stick up for him.

As I said... :)

Sorry I don't read every post. Anyway, Shane is roughed up a tad....but I'm guessing he can handle it. If he doesn't bounce after this year it will be a mistake. He has to play in the USHL next year....he has accomplished everything a high schooler can (no way HF will win state in the next year or so).

Sorry I don't read every post. Anyway, Shane is roughed up a tad....but I'm guessing he can handle it. If he doesn't bounce after this year it will be a mistake. He has to play in the USHL next year....he has accomplished everything a high schooler can (no way HF will win state in the next year or so).

He can handle it - tough kid. AIso, I don't think Omaha took him 1st overall for him to play high school hockey either.