SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Austin Poganski just added his 3rd goal early in the 3rd as his team leads 5-1 in the section semifinals

He went on to add 2 more goals for 5 goals and 1 assist in todays 7-2 win. He now has 10 goals and 8 assists in the 2 playoff games and he only played 30 seconds of the 3rd period in the quaterfinal win, so basically 18 points in his last 5 periods of play.

How does pags cathedral team stack up against hermantown? I see they play Friday at 7

It should be one of the better section final matchups, in their only matchup of the season Cathedral won 5-4 in OT in St. Cloud on January 11th. Hermantown has won 11 straight coming into the game while Cathedral is 12-1 in their last 13 games. Should be a good game hoping Cathedral can pull it off so I can get a chance to watch Poganski.

Recruit Update:

'92

Paul LaDue, D, Lincoln (USHL), 46gp, 10-27-37

'93

Geoff Crisfield, D, Vernon (BCHL), 47gp, 1-1-2

Wade Murphy, F, Penticton (BCHL), 47gp, 22-46-68

Tucker Poolman, D, Omaha (USHL), 49gp, 10-11-21

'94

Adam Tambellini, F, Surrey (BCHL), 49gp, 34-27-61

Luke Johnson, F, Lincoln (USHL), 41gp, 13-18-31

Jack Rowe, F, Cedar Rapids (USHL), 44gp, 13-12-25

'95

Luke Voltin, F, Des Moines (USHL), 48gp, 7-17-24

Charlie Pelnik, D, Fargo (USHL), 16gp, 0-1-1

Keaton Thompson, D, NTDP U18, 44gp, 4-9-13

'96

Nick Schmaltz, F, Green Bay (USHL), 47gp, 13-26-39

Chris Wilkie, F, NTDP U17, 44gp, 12-16-28

Austin Poganski, F, St Cloud Cathedral (MNHS), 23gp, 25-22-47

Shane Gersich, F, Holy Family (MNHS), 24gp, 28-34-62

Ryan Mantha, D, Sioux City (USHL), 41gp, 0-5-5

Rhett Gardner, F, Moose Jaw (SMAAAHL), 35gp, 27-21-48

'97

Christian Evers, D, Omaha Lancers AAA U16, 23gp, 10-19-29

Anyone else a little concerned about next season and losing Knight and Kristo? I don't think we need to worry one bit about the defensive side, but offensively are we going have enough to make a splash in the tourney?

I'm excited about both Tambellini and Murphy, but I'm concerned about Rowe and his production with the USHL. I think Johnson will be a top 2 line player by sophmore year after some development.

I'm hoping for some good growth with Caggiula and Mark MacMillan on the offensive side. Rocco will be a stud no doubt about it.

Just a thought

I think we all wonder "how are we going to replace the scoring from player X" every off-season; but more often than not things seem to work themselves out and there's always players ready to step into those primary roles. I'd say we were really asking this question after the '10-'11 season, but lo and behold...Knight, Kristo, and Nelson stepped up.

We usually don't fill it in with incoming Freshmen...look for some of the current Sophomore class to fill the scoring void more consistently.

• Upvote 1

Our team after 2010-2011 did take a hit, losing a line that gelled so well together. But I didn't worry much, because of Nelson, Knight, and Kristo. We don't really have those type of players (minus Rocco) to really fill the top line with. Next season is going be a difficult one. I still expect us to be in the top 10 with our steady defense and goaltending (should be solid) next season.

Offensively I think we'll see a dip.

Our team after 2010-2011 did take a hit, losing a line that gelled so well together. But I didn't worry much, because of Nelson, Knight, and Kristo. We don't really have those type of players (minus Rocco) to really fill the top line with. Next season is going be a difficult one. I still expect us to be in the top 10 with our steady defense and goaltending (should be solid) next season.

Offensively I think we'll see a dip.

Someone else will pick it up....they always do. I'm guessing we'll see Mark Mac., Parks, Rocco, etc have good seasons. Our team next year won't have nearly the talent we have this year, however, it has gotten to their heads this year as they are underachieving to say the least.

Yes next years team probably takes a offense dip. Rocco is a 50 point guy for how long he stays. Parks and markmc are 30-40 guys but then things drop off next year. Hopefully Luke can be a 25-30 guy along with Tambelini as they will need it. Would be big.

Simpson may be counted on big time next season. He is becoming a hell of a overall d man. Lets remember he just turned 20 couple weeks back. Simpson has been a very interesting player to see develop due to coming in at 17. That's so rare.

Yes next years team probably takes a offense dip. Rocco is a 50 point guy for how long he stays. Parks and markmc are 30-40 guys but then things drop off next year. Hopefully Luke can be a 25-30 guy along with Tambelini as they will need it. Would be big.

Simpson may be counted on big time next season. He is becoming a hell of a overall d man. Lets remember he just turned 20 couple weeks back. Simpson has been a very interesting player to see develop due to coming in at 17. That's so rare.

Simpson was one of the worst skaters I've ever seen when he was a freshman. He's a really good player now and has developed by leaps and bounds. He's 10 times the skater already and his hands are super smooth.

I remember thinking who would fill the scoring gap every year. One year it was VandeVelde Gregiore and Kristo then it was Frattin and Malone stepping up then it was Nelson and Knight now it's Rocco and next year it could be anyone. Remember Knight was pretty average his first year with only 13 points and look at him now. I bet Caggiula Parks and at least one fr have huge impacts next year.

Simpson was one of the worst skaters I've ever seen when he was a freshman. He's a really good player now and has developed by leaps and bounds. He's 10 times the skater already and his hands are super smooth.

I remember thinking who would fill the scoring gap every year. One year it was VandeVelde Gregiore and Kristo then it was Frattin and Malone stepping up then it was Nelson and Knight now it's Rocco and next year it could be anyone. Remember Knight was pretty average his first year with only 13 points and look at him now. I bet Caggiula Parks and at least one fr have huge impacts next year.

Good points, sometimes freshman have to be the ones and I think a couple will next year. Dillon along with his defensive responsibilities will put up 30+ points next season easy... I have markmc, parks, tambelinni and Johnson as the guys.

Right after the 09-10 season ended, people were saying the 10-11 season would be special. We had insane depth coming back, but really no one had numbers that popped out at you. We had three 30 point forwards returning, as well as three 20 point guys returning. For next year, we will have Rocco, who will have 30+ points this year, maybe more. He should put up close to 50 next year. Parks and MacMillan should be at least 30 point guys next year. After that, players need to step up. Hopefully Caggiula can take a Knight and Nelson like jump from a solid freshman year to a very good sophomore year. I am not expecting 40+ points from him, but 25+ would be nice. O'Donnell needs to turn into the player that we all know he can be. I think Murphy, Tambellini, and Johnson will all asked to contribute immediately. I think one of those guys will surprise us and put up 30+ points. I am not going to predict who, because all have the potential to do so as early as next year.

Like someone else said, the strength of this team next year will be goaltending and defense. In terms of defense, it won't just be in the defensive zone. Schmaltz should take a huge jump offensively next year, Mattson should have a very good year, and Forbort and Simpson should be two of the best defensemen in the country next year if they both stay. All 4 of these guys should be able to contribute offensively. We very well could have 4, maybe 5 (if LaDue tears it up right away) defenseman that put up 20+ points. I think forward scoring will be down, but I really think our defensemen will pick up the offensive slack next year.

Our team after 2010-2011 did take a hit, losing a line that gelled so well together. But I didn't worry much, because of Nelson, Knight, and Kristo. We don't really have those type of players (minus Rocco) to really fill the top line with.

Knight definitely had a good 10/11 year that made me believe that he would be able to help fill the gap for the following year...but Kristo and Nelson both had very inconsistent seasons (only 8 goals each), so it was hard to pencil them into the top line for the next season. Someone always steps up and helps fill in for the departing players. Rocco, Parks, the MacMillan bros, OD, St. Clair, etc...someone will make the jump. Not to mention the talented freshmen forwards incoming.

The scoring will come, I have faith. :)

Right after the 09-10 season ended, people were saying the 10-11 season would be special. We had insane depth coming back, but really no one had numbers that popped out at you. We had three 30 point forwards returning, as well as three 20 point guys returning. For next year, we will have Rocco, who will have 30+ points this year, maybe more. He should put up close to 50 next year. Parks and MacMillan should be at least 30 point guys next year. After that, players need to step up. Hopefully Caggiula can take a Knight and Nelson like jump from a solid freshman year to a very good sophomore year. I am not expecting 40+ points from him, but 25+ would be nice. O'Donnell needs to turn into the player that we all know he can be. I think Murphy, Tambellini, and Johnson will all asked to contribute immediately. I think one of those guys will surprise us and put up 30+ points. I am not going to predict who, because all have the potential to do so as early as next year.

Like someone else said, the strength of this team next year will be goaltending and defense. In terms of defense, it won't just be in the defensive zone. Schmaltz should take a huge jump offensively next year, Mattson should have a very good year, and Forbort and Simpson should be two of the best defensemen in the country next year if they both stay. All 4 of these guys should be able to contribute offensively. We very well could have 4, maybe 5 (if LaDue tears it up right away) defenseman that put up 20+ points. I think forward scoring will be down, but I really think our defensemen will pick up the offensive slack next year.

I'm more cocerned about our defense than most. I am betting Forbort is gone and that leaves Simpson, Mattson, Schmaltz and Panzarella as the only returners and probably Ladue, Crisfield and a young Thompson coming in. That doesn't look like this extremely strong D-core that others are mentioning.

Ladue will step in even better than Mattson did as a freshman (which was really good). Simpson, Mattson, and Schmaltz are all solid defensemen, we just need another 2 or so defensemen to step in (in assuming Forbort leaves).

I don't think Forbort leaves though, he's been great for us, but not all that dominate that you may expect in a first rounder. Good or bad, I think he's really our only early pro departure we'd have to worry about.

Ladue will step in even better than Mattson did as a freshman (which was really good). Simpson, Mattson, and Schmaltz are all solid defensemen, we just need another 2 or so defensemen to step in (in assuming Forbort leaves).

I don't think Forbort leaves though, he's been great for us, but not all that dominate that you may expect in a first rounder. Good or bad, I think he's really our only early pro departure we'd have to worry about.

I agree. I'm not sure our defense is going to be stellar, but it's going to be above average.

I do hesitate on saying Forbort will stay though...I think there's a legitimate chance he goes. I hope he sees what guys like Kristo, Knight, and Frattin were able to do with another year (granted they are all forwards). It's really hard to gauge who's going to stay and go nowadays because so many guys that don't seem ready make the jump, yet others who do seem ready stay.

I agree that LaDue is going to step in and be a contributor immediately. He isn't your typical freshman, he will come in at 20 (21?) after progressing dramatically the past few seasons. He will probably win Defenseman of the Year in the USHL. If Simpson wouldn't have developed into such a good player, I would go as far as saying as LaDue could very well be our best defenseman next year as a freshman. His skating ability allows him to be very good defensively. Think a defensive style like Jake Marto, but I think LaDue is substantially better offensively than Marto was.

I agree. I'm not sure our defense is going to be stellar, but it's going to be above average.

I do hesitate on saying Forbort will stay though...I think there's a legitimate chance he goes. I hope he sees what guys like Kristo, Knight, and Frattin were able to do with another year (granted they are all forwards). It's really hard to gauge who's going to stay and go nowadays because so many guys that don't seem ready make the jump, yet others who do seem ready stay.

I think that Forbort stays. The consistency isn't there, and with the depth at D that LA has, I can't see him playing in the NHL next year. You shouldn't leave early for the AHL, which I think he would be doing. He still looks a bit thin, stay one more season at UND, leave at abound 230 lbs and continue to improve your all-around game. If he stays, he is all but guaranteed to wear a letter next year. That last part is a very big deal for some players.

I'm more cocerned about our defense than most. I am betting Forbort is gone and that leaves Simpson, Mattson, Schmaltz and Panzarella as the only returners and probably Ladue, Crisfield and a young Thompson coming in. That doesn't look like this extremely strong D-core that others are mentioning.

Crisfield has said that it looks as though he will be back in Vernon next year (video embedded in the link posted below), which would leave one to believe that Forbort is staying for his senior season and that Thompson will be joining the team a year ahead of schedule.

http://atraditionofexcellence.blogspot.com/2013/02/recruit-roundup.html

I agree that LaDue is going to step in and be a contributor immediately. He isn't your typical freshman, he will come in at 20 (21?) after progressing dramatically the past few seasons. He will probably win Defenseman of the Year in the USHL. If Simpson wouldn't have developed into such a good player, I would go as far as saying as LaDue could very well be our best defenseman next year as a freshman. His skating ability allows him to be very good defensively. Think a defensive style like Jake Marto, but I think LaDue is substantially better offensively than Marto was.

I thought Marto had really good offensive skill but chose not to use it and instead focus on the defense. He could blow past anyone when he wanted and showed that against BC didn't he in the frozen 4?

I haven't seen LaDue play since he was at Central, I'm very excited to see what he can do.