SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Ā 

Feel better Irish? ;):)

Why, yes I do - we have had several nice gets lately - keep it up. Ā Nice to see the talented local kids. Ā Plus, no one can develop players like our staff. Ā In addition, it is National Scotch Day so I plan on feeling even better tonight :-)

• Upvote 2

Pretty impressive offer list per the Herald.

"By the time he concluded his impressive performance at the USA Hockey Select 15s this month in upstate New York, the defenseman from Fargo had offers from all across the college hockey land: North Dakota, Minnesota, Minnesota Duluth, Wisconsin, Boston University, Michigan, Notre Dame, Denver, Omaha, St. Cloud State, Western Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State."

7 hours ago, petey23 said:

Huge get for UND!

How so? I am happy to land him but I have never heard of his name. He isn't even the best player in HS in North Dakota. Again not disparaging him at all and I am happy he is joining the UND family. Welcome Tyler.Ā 

12 minutes ago, crb1 said:

How so? I am happy to land him but I have never heard of his name. He isn't even the best player in HS in North Dakota. Again not disparaging him at all and I am happy he is joining the UND family. Welcome Tyler.Ā 

Must have something coaches like, he had a lot of offers.

20 minutes ago, crb1 said:

He hasn't even played HS hockey yet.Ā  :)

I think with how he performed at the Select 15's, his stock went way up for both college coaches and scouts.
His list of college offers reflect that.Ā 
But, of course, UMN "didn't want him anyway" and BU "didn't expect him to go in the 1st round, so they recanted their offer"...Ā  :D

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

These verbal commits mean nothing, I know a couple of squirts that will be committing tomorrow that will hold just as much validity as these youngsters.

If these were verbals from WHL drafted kids that come from Nova Scotia, I'd be right there with you.
But these are all local-ish kids (the most recent commits).Ā  I see all these kids ending up at UND...and some of them being excellent collegiate players.

• Upvote 3

Talk about a who's who of offers Kleven had, circled off basically every major program in the country, great get by the coaching staff! I'm not sure if just recently Brad started to report more offers than previous recruits, but both Kleven & Donovan were great gets. I've always been a get the best players, no matter where they're from, but love seeing so many local recruits recently.

In other committed recruits news, the U-17 Canadian Development camp is underway, both Reid & Blaisdell are taking part in it, big day for Blaisdell with 2G's 1A in a 3-1 win for team Gold.Ā 

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/national-championships/men/world-u17/2017/development-camp/stats/game-summary?gameid=1694

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, crb1 said:

Well the fact you haven't heard his name should makeĀ  the Coaching staffs at all the major college hockey programs in the country feel better as they cross his name off theĀ TOP of their recruiting boards.:D Unfortunately with the level of high school hockey in North Dakota we probably won't get to see elite players like Jackson Kunz and Tyler Kleven play more than a year of high school hockey.

16 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Has anyone seen this kid play? Blue chippah?

I have seen him play quite a bit over the years as his father is a good friend of mine. Been fun to watch him progress over the years and I know how much time and effort he puts into getting better and I couldn't be happier for him and his family to see it pay off. I know with some of these kids giving verbal commitments at 14 and 15 that they seem toĀ exhale and relax a bit but I think this will make him push and work even harder.

As UND fans we kind of have the expectation that the local kids we get are going to be the blue collar, grinder type kids who might not be as talented but will work hard.....Ā  this latest group of commits willĀ hopefully have those traits as well but kids like Caulfield, Frisch, Kunz, and Kleven are all top end, could play anywhere in the country type of talent.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Well the fact you haven't heard his name should makeĀ  the Coaching staffs at all the major college hockey programs in the country feel better as they cross his name off theĀ TOP of their recruiting boards.:D Unfortunately with the level of high school hockey in North Dakota we probably won't get to see elite players like Jackson Kunz and Tyler Kleven play more than a year of high school hockey.

Very funny!

3 minutes ago, dagies said:

Actually, they did. Ā It's just that he made an "impulsive decision" choosing UND over MN at this time.

Ahhhhh, ok thank you for the clarification. Makes complete sense now. Couldn't figure out why the heck we would have landed him over the Gophers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The junior leagues have either started regular season or preseason play. With most recruits being a few years out, I'm keeping a close look at the potential '18 class.

• F - Mattson (98) - USHL
  • F - Keane (97) - BCHL - 0-1-1 2GP
  • F - Senden (98) - USHL
  • F - Hain (00) - USNDP U18
  • F - Costello (00) - USHL
  • D - Tychonick (00) - BCHL - 1-1-2 2GP
  • G - Scheel (99) - BCHL - 1-0 .938 2.00 GAA

You have 3 Senior forwards and most likely at least one early departure (Gersich), so you need at least 4 forwards coming in next year. The overagers have not performed at all in juniors, so I'm sure the coaching staff will be closely monitoring their situation. If they can't step it up this year, they'll likely be pushed back (Mattson) or let go (Keane). Senden might be Ok, if he's a grinder / 4th liner type guy. Right now, none of those three have shown they are even close to be college type players. Hope they all have big years though. If Hain / Costello can handle their new situations, they could come in as true freshman.

Not worried about Tychonick at all, will be fun following his progress in his 2nd year, great player. Will likely step into a great situation at UND who doesn't have any Seniors, but Wolanin will probably be an early departure target.Ā Ā 

16 hours ago, AJS said:

The junior leagues have either started regular season or preseason play. With most recruits being a few years out, I'm keeping a close look at the potential '18 class.

• F - Senden (98) - USHL

You have 3 Senior forwards and most likely at least one early departure (Gersich), so you need at least 4 forwards coming in next year. The overagers have not performed at all in juniors, so I'm sure the coaching staff will be closely monitoring their situation. If they can't step it up this year, they'll likely be pushed back (Mattson) or let go (Keane). Senden might be Ok, if he's a grinder / 4th liner type guy. Right now, none of those three have shown they are even close to be college type players. Hope they all have big years though. If Hain / Costello can handle their new situations, they could come in as true freshman.

Not worried about Tychonick at all, will be fun following his progress in his 2nd year, great player. Will likely step into a great situation at UND who doesn't have any Seniors, but Wolanin will probably be an early departure target.Ā Ā 

If anything worry about Tychonick bolting to MJ. His rights were traded to his hometown team, and he's ranked 30ish for the draft by future considerations.

On 9/17/2017 at 3:30 PM, AJS said:

• F - Senden (98) - USHL

Good post! I'm guessing Costello will be delayed till 19 or 20. Would love to see him develop more before coming here. Is Tychonick a senior in HS this year?

Anyone have any insight on Massimo Rizzo yet? We haven't had a huge bluechip freshman since Boesser (not like that was too long ago).

9 minutes ago, ChadR said:

Good post! I'm guessing Costello will be delayed till 19 or 20. Would love to see him develop more before coming here. Is Tychonick a senior in HS this year?

Anyone have any insight on Massimo Rizzo yet? We haven't had a huge bluechip freshman since Boesser (not like that was too long ago).

Jost was a bluechipper.

• Upvote 2

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits