SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

I also think the landscape of college hockey has changed a lot. Schools that would never have gotten draft picks in the past are now picking up high recruits. UMASS, Mankato, Duluth has been getting quite a few, St Cloud has picked up quite a few. Then you get some teams, like BU that have been cleaning up with the top recruits.

I think there is just more opportunity out there for kids who want to play and be "THE" guy. UND should definitely be on the watch for some of the kids who have committed to Wisco, because there is just no way they will all end up there. 

Would like to see us land Rizzo, Would like us to still take a shot at Tolvanen. Not sure who else is up and coming, but it would be nice to land a couple more top guys here and there. 

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I also think the landscape of college hockey has changed a lot. Schools that would never have gotten draft picks in the past are now picking up high recruits. UMASS, Mankato, Duluth has been getting quite a few, St Cloud has picked up quite a few. Then you get some teams, like BU that have been cleaning up with the top recruits.

I think there is just more opportunity out there for kids who want to play and be "THE" guy. UND should definitely be on the watch for some of the kids who have committed to Wisco, because there is just no way they will all end up there. 

Would like to see us land Rizzo, Would like us to still take a shot at Tolvanen. Not sure who else is up and coming, but it would be nice to land a couple more top guys here and there. 

Tolvanen played just south of us . . .and is future teammates with MI SMASH! I am curious what led to his inadmissibility . . .

39 minutes ago, joeyjr said:

Tolvanen played just south of us . . .and is future teammates with MI SMASH! I am curious what led to his inadmissibility . . .

I believe he didnt have enough credit to graduate from high school.  Sounds like he's going to the CHL.  If I was the coaching staff, I would be looking at that situation hard....given he has the right team first attitude.

We need to keep the elite players coming in, but I'm OK with having a couple of years of guys staying more than two years.  I know these guys are all good enough to want to play hockey for a living at some level, but I'd kind of like to see how it would go with more players staying with the team/university culture a little longer.  

That said, I also know we wouldn't have won #8 without some high draft picks on the team. 

With the talk about elite players and recruits we are landing I still think we are landing our share but it has gotten harder to figure out partly because of when guys commit. People forget because guys commit 3-4 years before they ever hit the ice at their college. When Mismash committed he was maybe the top player in his class and we beat out Minnesota for him and it was huge deal. Mattson was a big time recruit when we landed him and had Minnesota, Wisconsin, Duluth offers. Same with Hain who should be a early round draft pick next year and Tychonick was very highly regarded when he committed.

• Upvote 2

SBNation has Gavin Hain as a "B Prospect" and Braden Costello as a "C Prospect"

Elite Prospects seems to have Costello in the top 31 in their polls, but they don't seem to be curated as none of the scouting sites seem to have an '18 list and the names are all the same . . .

15 minutes ago, joeyjr said:

SBNation has Gavin Hain as a "B Prospect" and Braden Costello as a "C Prospect"

Elite Prospects seems to have Costello in the top 31 in their polls, but they don't seem to be curated as none of the scouting sites seem to have an '18 list and the names are all the same . . .

I was looking as well and there's not a lot as far as '18 draft information. UND recruits that will be eligible for the first time:

Gavin Hain - Grand Rapids HS

Jonny Tychonick - Penticton (BCHL)

Jacob Bernard-Docker (AJHL)

Braden Costello - Des Moines (USHL)

Tychonick / Bernard-Docker will both be on their second year of juniors after playing in their respective leagues as 16 year olds. Should be able to make a significant jump.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I was looking as well and there's not a lot as far as '18 draft information. UND recruits that will be eligible for the first time:

Gavin Hain - Grand Rapids HS

Jonny Tychonick - Penticton (BCHL)

Jacob Bernard-Docker (AJHL)

Braden Costello - Des Moines (USHL)

Tychonick / Bernard-Docker will both be on their second year of juniors after playing in their respective leagues as 16 year olds. Should be able to make a significant jump.

Ethan Frisch just misses the cut off by a month and a half?

48 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Jeff Cox @JeffCoxSports 2m2 minutes ago 

North Dakota recruit Gavin Hain of Grand Rapids (MN) HS will play 2017-18 season for US NTDP U-18. Left-shot C put up 2 pts per gm last yr.

This really is great, what an opportunity for him! I also think with this step, he'll be a true freshman at UND for the 18-19 season. Huge step up in competition, should be great for his development.