SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

6 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I know nothing about this league either. Is it a step above high school? Maybe he went there to get ready for the USHL next year. Anyone with knowledge please let us know.

If I remember right they asked USA Hockey if they could be a Teir 1 hockey league and USA Hockey said no. So they decided that they would become a none USA Hockey sanctioned Teir 1 league. 

They do have high end guys that start there and move on to the USHL and the NAHL.

11 hours ago, jk said:

Nice welcoming committee.  We really know nothing about the guy.  The main fact I'm aware of is the UND coaches saw him play and liked him enough to offer him a scholarship.  Sounds good to me.

This over and over, the reaction was ridiculous. Per Schlossman's article, he'll be playing for Lincoln next year, which will be his Senior year in HS, how about we see how he does there before we jump to conclusions.

Although I stand by my comment and trust the coaching staff, I do find this commitment a little odd. The reasoning is as follows.

2018 Freshman Class

• Keane (F)
  • Hain (F)
  • Senden (F)
  • Mattson (F)
  • Weatherby (F)
  • Tychonick (D)
  • Scheel (G)

Replacing 3 Senior Forwards, Gornall, Gersich (Early), Wolanin (Early), C. Johnson

2019 Freshman Class

• Donovan (F)
  • Costello (F)
  • Caulfield (F)
  • Blaisdell (F)
  • Bernard-Docker (D)

Replacing Jones, Gardner, JJ, Mismash (Early), Shaw

2020 Freshman Class

• Kleven (D)
  • Reid (D)
  • Frisch (D)
  • Mancinelli (F)
  • Pinto (F)

Replacing Poolman, Johnson, Peski, Smith, Hoff, Bowen, Yon

2021 Freshman Class

• Bowen (F)
  • Kunz (F)

They basically have 2018 / 2019 Freshman Class full. I could see possibly pushing Costello back to 2020 (that would be 3 full years of juniors though) to make room for Rizzo. So, I'm pretty much saying that ship has sailed with Rizzo. Now I don't see how you'd have room for Randklev from Moorhead, unless you push Costello back. This was just a long post saying the coaching staff must really, really like Pinto, since he's taking one of the few spots left.

Side note: That 2019 class is stacked, that 2020 Defensive Class is ridiculous too

13 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Honestly don't know much about the league he's in, but it's obviously inferior to the ushl and I'd guess it's inferior to the nahl as well. Was hoping a legit prospect would put up much stronger numbers than "almost a point per game" as a 17 year old in a league I assumed is comparable to MN high school (I may be wrong there). 

Guess I'm just frustrated we haven't had a flashy commit in a while and most of our commits aren't producing in juniors, per numbers posted by AJS earlier. I'm sure the lack of production from our current forward group is also influencing my opinion here. 

Yeah it’s barely a junior league.  Probably somewhere between MNHS AA and the NAHL.  However the kid just turned 17. Clearly they saw something.  Sounds like he’s skipping his senior year with Select and going to Lincoln. Sounds about right to me.  We’ll see what he does I guess.

11 hours ago, cberkas said:

If I remember right they asked USA Hockey if they could be a Teir 1 hockey league and USA Hockey said no. So they decided that they would become a none USA Hockey sanctioned Teir 1 league. 

They do have high end guys that start there and move on to the USHL and the NAHL.

Select is like a shattuck...they play in that league because they can’t play HS.  Kids are all high school age.  It’s an academy.

1 minute ago, sprig said:

Guess the millennials are taking over the forum.  Have never seen a new commit ripped on here, until now

LOL why in God's green earth would that be a millennial thing? I'm guessing there's some levity here, but wouldn't millennials be pretty apathetic about a new recruit haha? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

LOL why in God's green earth would that be a millennial thing? I'm guessing there's some levity here, but wouldn't millennials be pretty apathetic about a new recruit haha? 

Damn millennials too busy listening to their rap music & twittering each other to pay attention, get off my lawn. 

• Upvote 4

The USPHL is a Tier 1 league such as Shattuck, Little Caeser's, Honeybaked, Compuware, Omaha etc. and they will have certain kids tendered to play in the USHL.   It is the top league in the country for kids in High School to play against other programs all across the country with the USA National Championships occurring in April.  (and other age groups such as U14, U16 and U18).  Obviously, a state like Minnesota and High School hockey is a very big deal and great hockey but the Tier 1 league provides many more games and provides exposure to kids on a national level that they otherwise would have not received unless you are an exceptional hockey player at the High School level in a state that garners a lot of attention.  The NAHL also has a NAPHL league in which kids are tendered to NAHL teams as well.

9 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

You're right,  i haven't figured them out, thought it may be younger,  or at least newer ND fans that now are unhappy with commits before they've seen them.  Getting stranger in here all the time. At a minimum they are into technology and social networking,  can't make change without a computer. And god forbid you add change (pennies) to your purchase after they've already entered your whole dollar amount into the register/ computer. Numerous times a young manager is called over,  and he/ she can't figure out out either.  So you just tell them what they owe you,  and they give it to you. Even the simplest math is impossible without a computer

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, sprig said:

You're right,  i haven't figured them out, thought it may be younger,  or at least newer ND fans that now are unhappy with commits before they've seen them.  Getting stranger in here all the time

Well, maybe they have seen them. Things are way, way different in terms of exposure, these days. There are loads of ranking systems, YouTube clips, scouting forums out there now than there ever have been.

Alas, I get your point and it's a bit surprising to see, but I'm in your boat in that I don't know about this kid.

15 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Destroying people through social media happens all the time now and I don't ever remember anything like this before. Heard of "Twitter mobs"? I think that kind of thing can happen with anything that gets post's, tweets, or whatever. These things are definitely millennial........things! They don't fear any kind of consequences.

Seems  "new recruit bashing" is similar anyway...

26 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Summarizing an entire generation off of one experience you had with a kid using a cash register...seems reasonable. 

Sorry,  but it's happened multiple times,  at multiple places.  My own millennials can do the math in their heads,  geux sioux. So this whole millenial thing is new to me.  Didn't even know until i googled it that it's baby boomers kids.

At any rate,  I'm now way off topic,  so i'll quit

Bashing a new recruit probably has nothing to do with a generation,  just the current sioxsports .ob

46 minutes ago, sprig said:

You're right,  i haven't figured them out, thought it may be younger,  or at least newer ND fans that now are unhappy with commits before they've seen them.  Getting stranger in here all the time. At a minimum they are into technology and social networking,  can't make change without a computer. And god forbid you add change (pennies) to your purchase after they've already entered your whole dollar amount into the register/ computer. Numerous times a young manager is called over,  and he/ she can't figure out out either.  So you just tell them what they owe you,  and they give it to you. Even the simplest math is impossible without a computer

Uh, I'm a millennial and I can do this. C'mon, man.

25 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Note to all boomers and xers. If you don't like how millennials are you shouldn't have raised them that way. Look in the mirror. 

Love this. I say this to literally any person who's ripping on a kid that has kids their age. Sorry, but it's your fault.

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits