SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

pentincton adavanced to 2nd round of bchl playoffs. noticed macmillin played 3 of 4 games and odonnell only 1 of the 4 so im assuming hes banged up. 2nd round starts march 8th

grimaldi 1a in win

miller 1a in win

Grimaldi scored the tying goal tonight, then scored the winning goal on a penalty shot in overtime in a 5-4 win.

Man he's going to be a stud at UND. The higher level he plays, he raises his game as well. I'm excited to see him playing on a line with Gregoire/Kristo

I still predict that Gregoire comes back for one more year...enough former SIoux have stated that they would rather have stayed than gone to the minors that Gregs will need to seriously weigh his probability of skating in the NHL right away vs the AHL.

Kristo...well there was a whole stupid thread of speculation. I would be surprised if he comes back...

I still predict that Gregoire comes back for one more year...enough former SIoux have stated that they would rather have stayed than gone to the minors that Gregs will need to seriously weigh his probability of skating in the NHL right away vs the AHL.

Kristo...well there was a whole stupid thread of speculation. I would be surprised if he comes back...

I would definitely be surprised if Gregoire is gone after this year. I expect him to wear the A next year. Kristo, everything is up in the air. As long as everything works out medically, he should be back next year.

I would be thrilled if both Gregoire and Kristo come back next season. They would form a formidable offensive tandem that a young team could build off of...especially with a stud like Grimaldi coming in.

That said, anything can happen in the offseason.

Gregoire would honestly be a Hobey candidate if he came back. He's such a great 2-way player.

Kristo...not sure if he would want to jump ship this year after his frostbite incident and the slow start he had points-wise. But anything is possible when money is thrown your way.

I don't know anything, but I'm going to assume Gregoire's gone after the monster 2nd half he's having. Hope I'm wrong.

And he's a junior, so he wouldn't be leaving abnormally early.

He's going to come back to play the game in his hometown! :D

In all seriousness, I'd bet good money if I had any that he'd be back. He's not going to leave to go play in the minors, which is where he would be going.

I don't know anything, but I'm going to assume Gregoire's gone after the monster 2nd half he's having. Hope I'm wrong.

And he's a junior, so he wouldn't be leaving abnormally early.

I'm hoping we make it easier for him to go by winning a Natiional Championship. As long as we have another NC under our belts, it is easier to bless someone on moving on, when they have added to the Sioux legacy. I think the coaching staff is fairly honest with the players in that they don't mind them leaving if they aren't going to toil in the minor leagues.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now we have as many as 8 recruits coming in for next year...6 forwards and 2 defensemen. Right now, we will lose seven players for sure...4 forwards and 3 defensemen.

2011 Forward Recruits (age in fall of 2011):

-JT Miller (18)

-Rocco Grimaldi (18)

-Mark MacMillan (19)

-Colten St. Clair (19)

-Brendan O'Donnell (19)

-Michael Parks (19)

I feel that Grimaldi, St. Clair, MacMillan, and Parks will all be coming for sure. I don't know how you tell JT Miller he can't come, considering his status, and I don't know enough about O'Donnell to know whether or not another year of waiting would be too much for him. Either way, It appears as if Hakstol has planned his forward recruting for this next season based on more than just our senior forwards leaving. Hmmm....

Looking at the defensemen...

2011 Defensemen Recruits (age in fall of 2011)

-Andrew Panzarella (21)

-Nick Mattson (19...20 shortly after start of season)

So, with three defensemen leaving due to graduation, one would say that we probably need another defenseman coming in, but not necessarily. With our current status, we seem to always have one good defenseman sitting out as a healthy scratch, so that last man out would basically jump in as a nightly starter. However, the depth we've had has been really nice to have, so the decision is entirely up to Hakstol in the end, in my eyes. I think we may see a summer signing...Nolan Zajac? If Nolan, what's been taking so long for him to jump on board...no offer on the table or does Nolan not want to go to UND?

In short, I think we see one forward get held back one more year, but it's hard for me to see two getting the shaft. I think that hints at a potential off-season signee on the team, and all fingers point towards Gregoire. At defense, I think it's 50/50 on whether or not we see a late commitment to fill one more defensive spot. Time will tell there. At goaltender, if Eids leaves, I think you'll see Gothberg come in this year, if Eids stays to try and earn his starting spot back, Zane will get one more year of juniors.

Whatcha think?

• Upvote 1

Right now we have as many as 8 recruits coming in for next year...6 forwards and 2 defensemen. Right now, we will lose seven players for sure...4 forwards and 3 defensemen.

-JT Miller (18)

-Rocco Grimaldi (18)

-Mark MacMillan (19)

-Colten St. Clair (19)

-Brendan O'Donnell (19)

-Michael Parks (19)

I feel that Grimaldi, St. Clair, MacMillan, and Parks will all be coming for sure. I don't know how you tell JT Miller he can't come, considering his status, and I don't know enough about O'Donnell to know whether or not another year of waiting would be too much for him. Either way, It appears as if Hakstol has planned his forward recruting for this next season based on more than just our senior forwards leaving. Hmmm....

-Andrew Panzarella (21)

So, with three defensemen leaving due to graduation, one would say that we probably need another defenseman coming in, but not necessarily. With our current status, we seem to always have one good defenseman sitting out as a healthy scratch, so that last man out would basically jump in as a nightly starter. However, the depth we've had has been really nice to have, so the decision is entirely up to Hakstol in the end, in my eyes. I think we may see a summer signing...Nolan Zajac? If Nolan, what's been taking so long for him to jump on board...no offer on the table or does Nolan not want to go to UND?

In short, I think we see one forward get held back one more year, but it's hard for me to see two getting the shaft. I think that hints at a potential off-season signee on the team, and all fingers point towards Gregoire. At defense, I think it's 50/50 on whether or not we see a late commitment to fill one more defensive spot. Time will tell there. At goaltender, if Eids leaves, I think you'll see Gothberg come in this year, if Eids stays to try and earn his starting spot back, Zane will get one more year of juniors.

Whatcha think?

I think that we are realistically playing with 1 more defensman that optimal this year so a net reduction of one would be OK. That said we are still waiting on Molenar and there is a Zajac brother that had not committed...

-JT Miller (18)

-Rocco Grimaldi (18)

-Mark MacMillan (19)

-Colten St. Clair (19)

-Brendan O'Donnell (19)

-Michael Parks (19)

-Andrew Panzarella (21)

Whatcha think?

Some good points here. Thats why I was really surprised to see Hak bring in Dickin, although I think its smart to bring him in because he'll be a solid 4 yr guy for us. I just feel that now it makes a logjam a bit. Although each year we think that and then we see players who leave early to signings or the WHL. Fortunately lately we haven't had to deal with that as much.

Musketeers' Schmaltz takes USHL honor

For the third time this season, defenseman Jordan Schmaltz of the Sioux City Musketeers has been honored as the United States Hockey League's defensive player of the week.

Schmaltz, a 6-2, 175-pound native of Verona, Wis., equaled his season high with three points (1 goal, 2 assists), all on the power play, in last Saturday's 8-4 win over Muskegon. It was his sixth multi-point game of the season.